Unlock supermarket savings with this viral '6-1 grocery shopping method'

Grocery shopping can be a daunting task, especially when you're trying to stick to a budget.

But what if there was a simple method that could help you save hundreds of dollars at the supermarket?

Enter the '6-1 method', a grocery shopping technique that has taken the internet by storm, with shoppers claiming it's a game-changer for their wallets.

The 6-1 grocery shopping method was introduced by New York-based Chef Will Coleman, who shared his innovative approach to grocery shopping on his social media accounts.

His video explaining the method quickly went viral, sparking a wave of enthusiastic feedback from followers who have tried and tested the method.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 104429.png
Chef Will Coleman created a ‘6-1 grocery shopping method’ to help others save money and be healthy in their life. Image: TikTok/@chefwillco

So, what exactly is the '6-1 method'?

It's a simple, structured approach to grocery shopping that involves buying six vegetables, five fruits, four proteins, three starches, two sauces or spreads, and one fun item for yourself.

According to Coleman, this method not only makes grocery shopping quicker and easier, but it also helps to cut costs and encourages healthier eating habits.

'Fruits and vegetables are usually on the lower end of things, and they can stretch beyond one meal. You can be way more creative about what you’re putting out in the kitchen, and of course, it’s healthier as well,' Coleman told People.

The chef also emphasised the versatility of vegetables, encouraging shoppers to experiment with a variety of options such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, carrots, cauliflower, and mushrooms.

While some people may be hesitant about incorporating so many vegetables into their diet, Coleman assures that there are plenty of ways to make them tasty and appealing.

The '6-1 method' is designed to help shoppers avoid the trap of buying high-priced, prepackaged or processed foods.

Instead, it encourages a focus on fresh, whole foods that can be used in many meals.

In a follow-up video, Coleman demonstrated how he used his '6-to-1' grocery haul to create four meals for under $90, including breakfast tacos, kale pasta salad, roasted salmon, and Philly cream cheese chicken burgers.

Despite initial concerns about whether the method would work for larger families, Coleman insists it's adaptable to any household size.

'You can do this for a household of two or four or six or eight. It doesn’t matter. You can make it work for yourself—and the way to go about that is to just grab a few more of the single items you choose in each category for your family,' he explained.

The '6-1 method' has been met with widespread praise from those who have tried it, with many claiming it has revolutionised their grocery shopping experience.

'Thank you! We are bringing 2024 out right! Just spent $47 on groceries for a family of four!' commented one person.

Another added, 'I tried this method today. I loved how much more intentional I was on my grocery trip.'

In conclusion, the '6-1 method' offers a simple, structured approach to grocery shopping that can help you save money, eat healthier, and reduce the stress of meal planning.

Whether you're shopping for one or for a large family, this method can be adapted to suit your needs and preferences.

So why not give it a try on your next grocery run? You might be surprised at how much you can save!

You can watch Chef Coleman’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@chefwillco​

Key Takeaways
  • The '6-1 method' is a grocery shopping technique aimed at saving money and encouraging healthier food choices.
  • The method, shared by chef Will Coleman on social media, has quickly gained popularity for its simplicity and effectiveness.
  • It involves selecting a set amount of vegetables, fruits, proteins, starches, sauces/spreads, and one treat for yourself, to streamline shopping and avoid unnecessary purchases.
  • The strategy has been praised by those who have tried it, with some shoppers saying it has been a 'game changer' for their budget and meal planning.

Have you tried the '6-1 method'? We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips you might have for other readers. Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Grocery shopping can be a daunting task, especially when you're trying to stick to a budget.

But what if there was a simple method that could help you save hundreds of dollars at the supermarket?

Enter the '6-1 method', a grocery shopping technique that has taken the internet by storm, with shoppers claiming it's a game-changer for their wallets.

The 6-1 grocery shopping method was introduced by New York-based Chef Will Coleman, who shared his innovative approach to grocery shopping on his social media accounts.

His video explaining the method quickly went viral, sparking a wave of enthusiastic feedback from followers who have tried and tested the method.

View attachment 39547
Chef Will Coleman created a ‘6-1 grocery shopping method’ to help others save money and be healthy in their life. Image: TikTok/@chefwillco

It's a simple, structured approach to grocery shopping that involves buying six vegetables, five fruits, four proteins, three starches, two sauces or spreads, and one fun item for yourself.

According to Coleman, this method not only makes grocery shopping quicker and easier, but it also helps to cut costs and encourages healthier eating habits.

'Fruits and vegetables are usually on the lower end of things, and they can stretch beyond one meal. You can be way more creative about what you’re putting out in the kitchen, and of course, it’s healthier as well,' Coleman told People.

The chef also emphasised the versatility of vegetables, encouraging shoppers to experiment with a variety of options such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, carrots, cauliflower, and mushrooms.

While some people may be hesitant about incorporating so many vegetables into their diet, Coleman assures that there are plenty of ways to make them tasty and appealing.

The '6-1 method' is designed to help shoppers avoid the trap of buying high-priced, prepackaged or processed foods.

Instead, it encourages a focus on fresh, whole foods that can be used in many meals.

In a follow-up video, Coleman demonstrated how he used his '6-to-1' grocery haul to create four meals for under $90, including breakfast tacos, kale pasta salad, roasted salmon, and Philly cream cheese chicken burgers.

Despite initial concerns about whether the method would work for larger families, Coleman insists it's adaptable to any household size.

'You can do this for a household of two or four or six or eight. It doesn’t matter. You can make it work for yourself—and the way to go about that is to just grab a few more of the single items you choose in each category for your family,' he explained.

The '6-1 method' has been met with widespread praise from those who have tried it, with many claiming it has revolutionised their grocery shopping experience.

'Thank you! We are bringing 2024 out right! Just spent $47 on groceries for a family of four!' commented one person.

Another added, 'I tried this method today. I loved how much more intentional I was on my grocery trip.'

In conclusion, the '6-1 method' offers a simple, structured approach to grocery shopping that can help you save money, eat healthier, and reduce the stress of meal planning.

Whether you're shopping for one or for a large family, this method can be adapted to suit your needs and preferences.

So why not give it a try on your next grocery run? You might be surprised at how much you can save!

Key Takeaways

• The '6-1 method' is a grocery shopping technique aimed at saving money and encouraging healthier food choices.
  • The method, shared by chef Will Coleman on social media, has quickly gained popularity for its simplicity and effectiveness.
  • It involves selecting a set amount of vegetables, fruits, proteins, starches, sauces/spreads, and one treat for yourself, to streamline shopping and avoid unnecessary purchases.
  • The strategy has been praised by those who have tried it, with some shoppers saying it has been a 'game changer' for their budget and meal planning.

Have you tried the '6-1 method'? We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips you might have for other readers. Share your thoughts in the comments below.

You Are What You Eat. A 4 part series on Netflix. An eye-opener for sure! An experiment done on 21 sets identical twins. Plant based diet vs omnivore. If you want to know what to put in your supermarket trolley this should help your decision. I do like the concept of 6-1 method of grocery shopping though..

I like the idea of the 6-1 method and I think it would work .

I try to cook meals that will last 2 or 3 days but by turning it into different dishes.
Eg I will cook a slow shoulder roast , have with vegies day 1 , then I shred the leftover meat while still warm and will use in bread rolls with tzatziki and salad the next day .

I also do the same with Meatballs.

So the dishwasher tablets and coffee and tea just have to look after themselves.

So the dishwasher tablets and coffee and tea just have to look after themselves.
I bought Aldi coffee for my husband, who insists he only drinks Nescafe.
No he doesn't, I put it in the coffee canister and he never noticed the difference
He also doesn't eat duck eggs, so he says! Could have fooled me. My friend gives them to me.
I have a dishwasher but never use it.
Dishwashing tablets are a ridiculous price and what you save on water, or so they say, you waste on electricity.

I bought Aldi coffee for my husband, who insists he only drinks Nescafe.
No he doesn't, I put it in the coffee canister and he never noticed the difference
He also doesn't eat duck eggs, so he says! Could have fooled me. My friend gives them to me.
I have a dishwasher but never use it.
Dishwashing tablets are a ridiculous price and what you save on water, or so they say, you waste on electricity.
How funny , my hubby only drinks Nescafe blend 43, but I have tricked him with other things where he never knew the difference.
20240120_095231.jpg

I have never and never will have a dishwasher, even when my 13 kids were all at home . I actually don't mind washing up.

My eldest son keeps asking to buy me one and my reply is why , when I won't use it and I don't want to lose cupboard space

Reactions: Ezzy and Davmes
No probably,won't

View attachment 39547

Key Takeaways

How funny , my hubby only drinks Nescafe blend 43, but I have tricked him with other things where he never knew the difference.
View attachment 39571

I have never and never will have a dishwasher, even when my 13 kids were all at home . I actually don't mind washing up.

My eldest son keeps asking to buy me one and my reply is why , when I won't use it and I don't want to lose cupboard space
I use one, love it, uses way less water when not on town water, plus for hygiene and infection control reasons the very hot wash ensures all microbes killed. We are live in hosts of an AirBnB, so about safety for not only us but our guests..I grew up in a very large family too, so familiar with hand washing which my brothers made a lot of excuses to avoid! 🤣