University's long standing's new policy has people fuming

The cherished tradition of browsing through stacks of second-hand books and unearthing literary treasures at the University of Sydney's annual Chancellor's Committee Book Fair has hit a snag.

The book fair, a long-standing event that began in 1986 as Bookfest, has been a haven for those who love the feel of a physical book.

This year, however, attendees will need to pocket their cash and pull out their cards instead.

The university's decision to partner with Lifeline Sydney for the event is commendable.

Half of the proceeds will go to charity, and the other half to the university's Chancellor's Committee.

1725506012014.png
The University of Sydney's 37th Book Fair will go cashless for the first time in 2024. Credit: Shutterstock

‘For the first time in 2024, the Book Fair will go cashless. If you're keen to make a purchase, you'll need to make sure you bring your card,’ the university announced.

Yet, the shift to a cashless system has sparked concerns about accessibility and inclusivity.

Joe Alvaro expressed fears that the move could exclude specific population segments.

‘Not everyone has a card or wants to use a card. Some vulnerable people in our community do not have a card,’ he said.

The university's spokeswoman defended the decision.

‘This year, we've decided to use convenient digital payment methods for purchases at the Fair – in line with a general trend away from cash and toward card payments at the Fair, and to support the safety of our volunteers by removing the need for them to handle large amounts of cash,’ she said.

‘While our new Book Fair partner Lifeline Sydney and Sutherland have advised they still accept cash donations at the event, registers will be digital-only, and our signage and promotions will continue to encourage digital payments.’

The book fair has previously showcased up to 50,000 books for sale.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) confirmed that it's perfectly legal for businesses to refuse cash payments as long as consumers are aware of these terms and conditions before purchasing.

In other news about transitioning to a cashless society, KFC customers expressed anger after one branch implemented a card-only policy.

A sign at the KFC in Morisset indicated that only 'contact-free' payments are accepted, and service was refused to an elderly man who wanted to pay with cash. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• The University of Sydney's 37th annual Chancellor's Committee Book Fair, in collaboration with Lifeline Sydney, will be cashless for the first time in 2024.
  • Some community members have expressed concern that going cash-free may exclude people who do not have or want to use a card.
  • The University of Sydney spokeswoman cited the trend towards digital payments and volunteer safety as reasons for going cashless.
  • It is legal for businesses in Australia to refuse cash payments as long as customers are informed of these terms and conditions before making a purchase.
How do you feel about transitioning to a cashless system at the University of Sydney's Book Fair? Do you think it will impact accessibility for certain groups? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
They would lose me as a customer if I was an attendee in the first place. The same way as charity 'sellers' at shopping centres and shopping strips who only take cards have already lost me. If my actual cash is not welcome and/or too difficult for them to handle then it's 'bye-bye' from me. Their need must not be so great if they won't accept my tangible money to assist their causes.
More fool them for the disservice they are doing to their otherwise worthy endeavours.

Silly me, and I held that the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution act 1900 (UK) was the ultimate law. QUOTE
115 States not to coin money

A State shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and

silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts.
END QUOTE Perhaps if a university receives taxpayers monies we may just let them know they too are bound to observe constitutional provisions!

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie
The apparent convenience of using a credit card, comes at a cost.Literally.Banks-a cartel- will increase their profits by upping fees and the consumer will pay in higher retail charges. Of course we all know what happens when retail prices go up-it's called 'inflation'. And we all know what the Reserve Bank does to curb inflation.It puts upward pressure on interest rates and enables the banks to make even more profit.Cash should be 'King'. I use a debit card attached to a savings account and pay no fees. Could be the way for everyone to go.

if univerities can pay a vice president 1.5mil a year they do not need any help, give it all to charity.
Yes Bill Shorten to be paid $1.8m as "vice" of University of Canberra - what a crock of shite! Obviously Australian universities are paid too much from the public purse.

Reactions: Jersey Girl and Gsr
It is getting beyond ridiculous when people are required to pay sometimes very small amounts on a card for anything at a market of any kind. No way I would bother going to any market, or business that won’t accept cash.

On a sombre note,will we see Gloria Jeans going into administration anytime soon? I doubt it. As a nation we appear to be addicted to the convenience of technology. At the price of human social interaction.