Unexpected twist in Centrelink saga: How incorrect calculations put two people in jail

The Australian welfare system is under scrutiny as two individuals remain incarcerated due to potentially unlawful calculations of their welfare benefits by Centrelink, according to a report by the Ombudsman.

This revelation has sparked a debate about the fairness and accuracy of the welfare system and the potential for wrongful convictions based on flawed calculations.

The Ombudsman's report, released on Monday, December 4, highlighted the issue of the 'income apportionment method' used by Services Australia to calculate Centrelink payments.

This method, which divides a recipient's employment income into fortnights to determine their Centrelink payments, could lead to flawed calculation and over or underpayment of benefits.

compressed-pexels-ron-lach-10474995.jpeg
Two people are in jail due to Centrelink’s unlawful debt calculations. Credit: Ron Lach/Pexels

‘This may have led Services Australia to raise social security debts or refer customers for criminal prosecution for alleged fraud or obtaining financial advantage, based on unlawfully calculated social security payments,’ the report suggested.

It also revealed that two individuals, whose identities and circumstances remain unknown, were convicted based on these potentially incorrect debt calculations.

The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) was made aware of these cases in mid-November 2023.

‘Services Australia has since advised the [CDPP] made it aware in mid-November 2023 that there were two people convicted for matters involving income apportionment who remain subject to current custodial sentences,’ it said.

In turn, the agency informed the legal representatives of the individuals but said that it ‘is a matter for each person to obtain legal advice’ on the next steps.

‘We will continue to review our disclosure obligations in light of any advice received from Services Australia,’ CDPP declared.

The report also mentioned that ‘the existence of a social security debt can have direct and indirect negative impacts on a person’—including criminal prosecution—‘which is traumatic in itself, and in the event of a conviction have serious consequences and repercussions for individuals’.

Dr Chris Rudge, a welfare law academic at the University of Sydney, criticised the CDPP's response, stating that it is insufficient if someone is in jail due to potentially erroneous evidence.

‘If someone is convicted on the basis of evidence now known to be erroneous, then surely there should be a facilitation of a review of their circumstances,’ he pointed out.

‘They should facilitate appeals…these are probably wrongful convictions,’ he added.

Dr Rudge emphasised the importance of accurate debt calculations to support charges. The use of unlawful income apportionment could lead to quashed convictions.

‘If [they’re] screwing up the amount, you might not have a debt at all. You couldn’t have knowledge of an overpayment if there is no overpayment,’ he argued.

This issue of miscalculated debts dates back to at least 2003 and continued until December 2020, according to the Ombudsman's findings.

The incorrect understanding of Social Security Law has led to numerous criminal prosecutions being paused and subsequently dropped. The offence of obtaining financial advantage carries a penalty of up to a year in prison.

The report called on Services Australia to waive the 100,000 debts that may have been incorrectly calculated.

The Social Services Minister, Amanda Rishworth, acknowledged the complexity of the income apportionment issue, which has affected debts over a 20- to 30-year period.

She stated that the practice had been stopped in 2020 and that she had asked the department to settle the outstanding legal advice about calculating debts.

‘I want to see this issue resolved as quickly as possible. It’s a historic issue. It’s one where there are still some legal questions, but I am seeking the resolution of this as quickly as possible,’ she said.

Key Takeaways
  • Two individuals are currently in prison due to wrongful welfare debt calculations by Centrelink, according to a report by the Ombudsman.
  • The Ombudsman has called on Services Australia to waive around 100,000 debts which may have been calculated incorrectly, highlighting the severe impact of such errors on welfare recipients.
  • The Commonwealth Director Of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) was made aware in November 2023 of two wrongful convictions based on incorrect calculations, and the affected individuals have been informed.
  • The University of Sydney welfare law academic Dr Chris Rudge criticised the CDPP's response, highlighting the need for facilitated reviews in wrongful convictions based on erroneous evidence.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know been affected by Centrelink's income apportionment method? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
The Australian welfare system is under scrutiny as two individuals remain incarcerated due to potentially unlawful calculations of their welfare benefits by Centrelink, according to a report by the Ombudsman.

This revelation has sparked a debate about the fairness and accuracy of the welfare system and the potential for wrongful convictions based on flawed calculations.

The Ombudsman's report, released on Monday, December 4, highlighted the issue of the 'income apportionment method' used by Services Australia to calculate Centrelink payments.

This method, which divides a recipient's employment income into fortnights to determine their Centrelink payments, could lead to flawed calculation and over or underpayment of benefits.

View attachment 36794
Two people are in jail due to Centrelink’s unlawful debt calculations. Credit: Ron Lach/Pexels

‘This may have led Services Australia to raise social security debts or refer customers for criminal prosecution for alleged fraud or obtaining financial advantage, based on unlawfully calculated social security payments,’ the report suggested.

It also revealed that two individuals, whose identities and circumstances remain unknown, were convicted based on these potentially incorrect debt calculations.

The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) was made aware of these cases in mid-November 2023.

‘Services Australia has since advised the [CDPP] made it aware in mid-November 2023 that there were two people convicted for matters involving income apportionment who remain subject to current custodial sentences,’ it said.

In turn, the agency informed the legal representatives of the individuals but said that it ‘is a matter for each person to obtain legal advice’ on the next steps.

‘We will continue to review our disclosure obligations in light of any advice received from Services Australia,’ CDPP declared.

The report also mentioned that ‘the existence of a social security debt can have direct and indirect negative impacts on a person’—including criminal prosecution—‘which is traumatic in itself, and in the event of a conviction have serious consequences and repercussions for individuals’.

Dr Chris Rudge, a welfare law academic at the University of Sydney, criticised the CDPP's response, stating that it is insufficient if someone is in jail due to potentially erroneous evidence.

‘If someone is convicted on the basis of evidence now known to be erroneous, then surely there should be a facilitation of a review of their circumstances,’ he pointed out.

‘They should facilitate appeals…these are probably wrongful convictions,’ he added.

Dr Rudge emphasised the importance of accurate debt calculations to support charges. The use of unlawful income apportionment could lead to quashed convictions.

‘If [they’re] screwing up the amount, you might not have a debt at all. You couldn’t have knowledge of an overpayment if there is no overpayment,’ he argued.

This issue of miscalculated debts dates back to at least 2003 and continued until December 2020, according to the Ombudsman's findings.

The incorrect understanding of Social Security Law has led to numerous criminal prosecutions being paused and subsequently dropped. The offence of obtaining financial advantage carries a penalty of up to a year in prison.

The report called on Services Australia to waive the 100,000 debts that may have been incorrectly calculated.

The Social Services Minister, Amanda Rishworth, acknowledged the complexity of the income apportionment issue, which has affected debts over a 20- to 30-year period.

She stated that the practice had been stopped in 2020 and that she had asked the department to settle the outstanding legal advice about calculating debts.

‘I want to see this issue resolved as quickly as possible. It’s a historic issue. It’s one where there are still some legal questions, but I am seeking the resolution of this as quickly as possible,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• Two individuals are currently in prison due to wrongful welfare debt calculations by Centrelink, according to a report by the Ombudsman.
  • The Ombudsman has called on Services Australia to waive around 100,000 debts which may have been calculated incorrectly, highlighting the severe impact of such errors on welfare recipients.
  • The Commonwealth Director Of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) was made aware in November 2023 of two wrongful convictions based on incorrect calculations, and the affected individuals have been informed.
  • The University of Sydney welfare law academic Dr Chris Rudge criticised the CDPP's response, highlighting the need for facilitated reviews in wrongful convictions based on erroneous evidence.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know been affected by Centrelink's income apportionment method? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.
They can release detainees convicted of murder, rape, pedophelia , assignations, hitmen and who knows what other crimes. They cannot release 2 people who may have been wrongly committed in the first place.
This govt is incompetent!!!!

View attachment 36794

Key Takeaways

The incompetence of the ponderous bollocks, of the bureaucracy?.

Free board and lodging at the expense of the taxpayer!!!!!

About five years ago now I had a run in with Centrelink , over a property we had sold which they said I had not reported to them
This property was jointly owned by myself, my husband and my daughter
I have always been on top of all my paperwork where Centrelink are concerned, and knew I had done everything required of me
I was grilled for hours over several days, accused of fraud, warned of prosecution etc etc .
Eventually they found the supposed missing paperwork all on my daughter's file,. despite the fact that I had submitted it, under my Centrelink number, after which they are then supposed to apportion 1/3 to each of us. And despite the fact that I am nominee for both my daughter and husband and have handled all their affairs for many years.
They are so incompetent that nobody had even bothered to check if the error may have been from their end
No apology, and some twit also told ME to be more careful next time.
I still haven't figured out how I am supposed to be careful that they don't stuff up. Go figure!!
On top of that I ended up out of pocket having to hire someone to stay with my husband and daughter, as I am their carer, while they were busy giving me a hard time over something I hadn't done

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Maybe this story shouldn't have been written until you know the full story.

Centrelink don't detain and lock people up because of unpaid debt.

I'm pretty sure these two people were arrested for fraud, and obtaining money under other people's name.

This article will unnecessarily scare people thinking they will go to jail for debt and this is not the case.

If you commit fraud then it's you did the crime now you pay the time

They can release detainees convicted of murder, rape, pedophelia , assignations, hitmen and who knows what other crimes. They cannot release 2 people who may have been wrongly committed in the first place.
This govt is incompetent!!!!
They being the High Court of Aust. A conviction was made by a court, so the court (or appeal court) is the only authority that can 'release' anyone convicted. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT. Clearly A LOT MORE to this conviction than welfare fraud. A court would not convict on a single welfare fraud case. Clearly there is far more to this than just welfare fraud.

I'm pretty sure these two people were arrested for fraud, and obtaining money under other people's name.

This article will unnecessarily scare people thinking they will go to jail for debt and this is not the case.

The days of unpaid fines being spent through a short stint in jail are loooong gone.

Believe you me, im one of the historical cases, for unpaid debt, yes you surely can be locked up for unpaid debts, ive always pleaded my innocence but you can't beat the bullying from this department. Ive had another breakdown after this debacle has surfaced, I can never get the time back for my incarceration which not only affected myself but also my family and friends.
Don't assume nothing as far as this fraudulent department is concerned

They being the High Court of Aust. A conviction was made by a court, so the court (or appeal court) is the only authority that can 'release' anyone convicted. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT. Clearly A LOT MORE to this conviction than welfare fraud. A court would not convict on a single welfare fraud case. Clearly there is far more to this than just welfare fraud.
You need to open your eyes, im one of the people affected by this debacle which is having a major affect on my mental health. The government need to stand up and be accountable.
A court can only convict from the evidence portrayed and these people have been convicted of false information. I should know alive done the time

View attachment 36794

Key Takeaways

Is this Robodebt #2?

Believe you me, im one of the historical cases, for unpaid debt, yes you surely can be locked up for unpaid debts, ive always pleaded my innocence but you can't beat the bullying from this department. Ive had another breakdown after this debacle has surfaced, I can never get the time back for my incarceration which not only affected myself but also my family and friends.
Don't assume nothing as far as this fraudulent department is concerned
So are you saying you went to jail for this !

The days of unpaid fines being spent through a short stint in jail are loooong gone.
That's what I thought , I remember many friends being locked up for unpaid car fines.

My strepfather did 8 months in Glen Innes jail for unpaid child support

The government squashed jail time for all debt

How are these people saying they did time for debt

Can you go to jail for debt?​

The answer is NO . Prior to the 70s , you could have but not anymore.

If you go to jail because of debt there are reasons behind it eg Fraud

If you get sued for unpaid debt, what could happen to you? We break down the process of debt settlement in Australia
Getting stuck in debt, whether it’s credit card debts or student loans, is frightening. Especially when times are hard the way they have been in recent years, many borrowers find themselves in situations where they failed to pay their debts in time and the threat of being sued because of debt looms. However, can you actually go to jail for debt?

The answer is no – even if the debt is
linked to a crime like tax avoidance or ducking a debtor’s examination, you can only be charged for the crime and not the debt itself. However, a creditor can sue you for unpaid debt, which in many cases results in the need to declare bankruptcy.

Thus, while “debtors’ prison” may not be a reality in Australia today and you won’t actually get jail time for a debt, there can still be legal repercussions for not paying your debts in a timely manner. In this article, we outline the process of debt collection in Australia, the instances in which you can be sued for debt, what debt collectors can and can’t do, and what could happen if you duck your debt collector.

Who should go to jail is the dude who was off his face and screaming last night at 11.40pm waking me up.
When I looked out my window here he was urinating on my gate.
I called out piss off and stop pissing on my gate. He started shouting who did I think I was the Queen of England. By the time I got out the front he was down the street , still shouting out and still on the phone.

Screenshot_20231208_133217_Gallery.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch

Can you go to jail for debt?​

The answer is NO . Prior to the 70s , you could have but not anymore.

If you go to jail because of debt there are reasons behind it eg Fraud

If you get sued for unpaid debt, what could happen to you? We break down the process of debt settlement in Australia
Getting stuck in debt, whether it’s credit card debts or student loans, is frightening. Especially when times are hard the way they have been in recent years, many borrowers find themselves in situations where they failed to pay their debts in time and the threat of being sued because of debt looms. However, can you actually go to jail for debt?

The answer is no – even if the debt is
linked to a crime like tax avoidance or ducking a debtor’s examination, you can only be charged for the crime and not the debt itself. However, a creditor can sue you for unpaid debt, which in many cases results in the need to declare bankruptcy.

Thus, while “debtors’ prison” may not be a reality in Australia today and you won’t actually get jail time for a debt, there can still be legal repercussions for not paying your debts in a timely manner. In this article, we outline the process of debt collection in Australia, the instances in which you can be sued for debt, what debt collectors can and can’t do, and what could happen if you duck your debt collector.
Well done! Welcome to the Researchers' Club. I'm president and founding member. ;)

Reactions: Suzanne rose