Unexpected bus incident: Elderly man violently knocks over

Content Warning: This article mentions topics involving elderly violence, which may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

Public transport is often hailed as a convenient and eco-friendly way to travel, especially for those in our community who may no longer drive or prefer not to navigate the city traffic.

However, a disturbing incident in Osborne Park, Perth, has raised concerns about the safety of our seniors when using these services.

On a seemingly ordinary afternoon, a 72-year-old man became the victim of a sudden and unprovoked attack as he was boarding a bus on Hutton St.

At around 12:50 pm on 12 May, security footage captured a man forcefully charging into the elderly gentleman, causing him to fall heavily to the ground.

1720049333298.png
A 72-year-old man was knocked over during bus boarding in Osborne Park, Perth. Credit: Shutterstock

The impact, likened to a rough tackle on the football field, left the senior with cuts and grazes.

The video, which has since been released by the police to apprehend the assailant, shows the bus driver and passengers quickly coming to the aid of the fallen man.

‘The offender boarded the bus and after a short time left the area on foot,’ WA police said.

The assailant, described by the police as a man in his 20s or 30s with a medium build and short, dark brown hair, boarded the bus briefly before exiting and fleeing the scene on foot.

This assault has not only left a member of our community shaken but also prompted a broader discussion about the safety of seniors on public transport.

It's a place where everyone should feel secure, yet incidents like these can shatter that trust.

The authorities are treating the incident with the gravity it deserves, and Scarborough Police are urging anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.

In other related news, an 84-year-old man was reportedly attacked on a Transperth bus after he intervened in a harassment incident involving two women.

Charged with multiple assault offences is Precious Osemwekhae, a 28-year-old resident of Beckenham. You can read further details on this story here.

Key Takeaways

• A 72-year-old man was knocked over in what was described as an assault while boarding a bus in Osborne Park, Perth.
  • The incident resulted in the elderly victim receiving cuts and grazes, and it was captured on security vision.
  • Passersby, including the bus driver and passengers, quickly assisted the man..
  • Police are investigating the assault and seeking to speak with a man believed to be between 20 and 30 years old, with a medium build and short, dark brown hair.

What steps do you think should be taken to ensure everyone's safety while using public transportation? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Seriously no respect for others including the elderly.
People like this should be caught and do jail time instead of a slap on the wrist.

My youngest is on work placement at Westmead children's hospital and at the moment there is a warning for young women about a male harassing and assaulting women before taking their bags.
He is carrying a knife and hammer.
Due to my daughters lung issues, she catches a bus which is only a 5 minute trip to the children's hospital but it's an 8 minute wait. I've told her wait at the station for 5 minutes then go to the bus stop.
We shouldn't need to live like this . I say ZERO TOLERANCE and punish them hard

Do we need security officers on buses, trams and trains now. I truly don't understand what is happening in society. People seem to very angry over nothing. Or is there people who are suffering with mental illness disorders not being on medication to help them from doing terrible things to innocent people. We have the
youth crime out of control. What is happening to society? People l know who are getting into their older years are truly frightened.
I try not think to much about the crime rate as l would be to scared to go for my daily walk. I
am vulnerable as l walk with a walker and have no balance, my little dog is truly of no protection to me. Even being in a car l always make sure the doors are locked. I beg my husband to lock the doors. At least you might have a chance to drive away if someone is trying to car jack you.
It's just dreadful to think a older man is trying to board a bus and is assaulted. A lady was waiting for a train in Melbourne the other day and a man pushed her off the plate form four minutes before a train was due. The man did not know this poor lady. Why???? Another man was driven over by a car jacket by his own car as he was trying to stop the thief, it's truly a sad world we are living in now.
Sadly l think we all have to be aware of our surroundings. I wish the man on the bus a very speedy recovery.
Kind regards to all Vicki

The impact, likened to a rough tackle on the football field, left the senior with cuts and grazes.

If this incident happened on a rugby league field, the weasel would have been sent off for a shoulder charge.

If I witnessed this incident, the weasel would have ended up receiving the same but doubled.

Apologies to all weasels and Philip K. Dick, the author of the short story "The Same To You But Doubled".

Unless there is appropriate punishment for ALL offenders who treat elder citizens with this degree of heartlessness and brutality, both inside and outside the home, these blights on our society will just keep on victimising whoever they choose, and wherever they want…….it will get to the stage where a person standing in a queue or just walking back from the shops, will view anyone they don’t know as possible attackers, and become terrified until the ‘danger’ has passed. How can anyone live their best lives, especially us older ones, when we have to ‘brave’ the streets, and live in our homes filled with fear in case one of these animals decide to pay an unwelcome visit……..it’s just so wrong that a slap on the wrist is invariably all they get….. :(

I am disappointed that people on the bus did not make a "Citizen's Arrest" or that the bus driver didn't lock the doors after the elderly gent was on the bus & use his two-way communication to request Police assistance and/or drive to the nearest Police station with the doors locked.

Reactions: Tervueren