Uncover heartbreaking reason behind shopper's 'obsession' with $2.50 Woolworths item

In a world where bulk buying and family-sized portions dominate the shelves of our supermarkets, a new trend is emerging that speaks volumes about the changing demographics of Australian households.

A $2.50 supermarket item has recently become popular, capturing the hearts of many Australians for a reason that's as practical as it is poignant.

The item in question is a miniature bottle of salad dressing specifically designed for single servings.

This seemingly simple product has sparked a conversation about the often-overlooked needs of individuals living alone.

1723691229881.png
A tiny supermarket item is attracting attention for its single-serving size, perfect for individuals. Credit: @TheOtherAunty / TikTok

The sensation began when a social media user known as @TheOtherAunty made a post:

‘You won’t believe this. Woolworths have released single people dressings,’ she said.

‘Gone are the days when my dressings went out of date before I’ve used them because now I have the perfect size for one person.’

‘We need to keep this going, we need a full aisle of single people condiments please.’

The sentiment resonated with many, as social media users chimed in with their own experiences and desires for more single-serving products.

‘Yes! I need tiny servings of everything! Sour cream. I only want it once, then not again for a week. Any cream, actually. Steel-cut oats. The bag is huge. It goes off way before I could use it all,’ one said.

‘Single people stores. Or childless couples stores also,’ another commented.

‘Yes, please! I’m so sick of wasting food because it went off before I could finish it.’ a third added.

Statistics from Expatistan reveal that a single person in Australia spends an average of $4,566 per month on essentials, while a family of four spends $8,243.

This disparity is not just about the numbers; it's about the lack of options for those who live alone, leading to both financial strain and the moral dilemma of wasting food.

The conversation has extended beyond social media, with individuals like Monique, aka @living.with.m, sharing their struggles with grocery shopping for one.

'Can we talk about how hard it is to buy groceries for one person? I’m here every week, writing up my list to work out what leftovers I can use for different meals to avoid food wastage,' she said.

‘Not only do I not want to waste food, but I also don’t want to buy unnecessary products as my income is only going towards the food.’

1723692965139.png
Aussies want more grocery options for singles to cut waste and lower living costs. Credit: @living.with.m / TikTok

Dr Meg Elkins, a behavioural economist from RMIT, acknowledges the difficulties faced by single-income households, especially given the limited tax benefits compared to families.

‘As median voters, families tend to get more subsidies and rebates while lone households can often feel on the outer,’ she said.

She advised singles to 'get smart' about their spending and consider alternatives such as shared accommodation or communal living to alleviate financial pressures.

In a related story, planning weekly meals and shopping with a layout-based list can save time and reduce stress.

Sticking to a single cuisine each week helps use ingredients more efficiently and reduces food waste. Learn more here.
Key Takeaways
  • A miniature supermarket item is going viral for its smaller serving size, which is considered perfect for single people.
  • Aussies are calling for a wider range of grocery products targeted at solo consumers to prevent waste and address the higher cost of living for singles.
  • Social media users are expressing frustration with the waste associated with standard-sized products, underscoring the need for smaller portions.
  • A behavioural economist suggests that singles need to make smart choices and tough decisions regarding their purchases and consider alternative living arrangements to manage the cost of living pressures.
Have you found any products that are perfect for your single-person household? Or perhaps you've come up with creative solutions to avoid waste? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I check use by date never had a problem. But smaller sizing means dearer produccts I noticed.I ordered a caramel slice in a cafe they normally were in shape of a square this time it was delivered a piece the size of a Tim Tam and with the coffee exorbitant . Won't be going there again

Except for salad, just buy for two. One for now and one for the freezer. Salad veggies can be grown in a pot where you take a few leaves off the lettuce, radish, tomato etc.

I would assume single size servings are more costly??? If that is the case why not pal up with a friend and when you say buy a bag of oats or whatever it is you buy....why not go halves?

Reactions: Sylvsptr