U2 bassist Adam Clayton announces divorce with wife

In rock and roll, musicians' lives are often as captivating as the music they create.

Fans of the legendary Irish rock band U2 have followed the group's journey through the highs and lows of stardom, celebrating their successes and sympathising with their struggles.

However, a member's recent update from one of the band members has left many fans around the globe feeling sad.

After ten years of marriage, U2's acclaimed bassist Adam Clayton announced his divorce with his wife, Mariana Teixeira de Carvalho. They had a six-year-old daughter, Alba.

A spokesperson confirmed the separation over the weekend with a statement that read:

'After more than ten years of marriage, musician Adam Clayton and lawyer Mariana Teixeira de Carvalho have amicably divorced. Both will continue to be fully involved in the care of their daughter, and they request that the family's privacy be respected.'

compressed-photo (9).jpeg
U2 bassist Adam Clayton and lawyer Mariana Teixeira de Carvalho announced their divorce through a spokesperson, ending over ten years of marriage. Image Credits: Facebook/U2, People

The announcement shocked fans who have seen Clayton's life unfold in the public eye.

From his high-profile engagement to supermodel Naomi Campbell in 1994 to his previous engagement to U2 manager's assistant Suzie Smith, Clayton's romantic life has often been a topic of interest.

However, it's his battle with addiction and his journey to sobriety that have truly resonated with many.
Clayton has been open about his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction, expressing his gratitude for the unwavering support of his bandmates—Bono, The Edge, and Larry Mullen Jr.—who stood by him during his darkest times.

'We have a pact with each other. In our band, no one will be a casualty,' Clayton said as he emphasised the band's brotherhood and solidarity—a cornerstone of U2's enduring success.

The bassist's relationship with lawyer Mariana began in Brazil during his sobriety.

Their love story was celebrated with a lavish three-day wedding celebration in France, which included a party on Bono's yacht, Cyan.

Clayton often spoke fondly of his life with Mariana and thanked her for making every day more meaningful.

Beyond his personal life, Clayton's professional achievements with U2 continue to inspire fans worldwide.

Formed in 1976, the band won 22 Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.

Clayton's recent appearance on BBC's Gardeners' World showcased another side of the rock legend as he gave viewers a tour of the spectacular grounds of his Georgian mansion in Dublin.
Key Takeaways

• U2 bass guitarist Adam Clayton and his wife, Mariana Teixeira de Carvalho, have amicably divorced after more than ten years of marriage.
  • The couple remains involved in their six-year-old daughter's life.
  • Clayton's dating life involved former supermodel Naomi Campbell and U2 manager's former assistant Suzie Smith.
  • Clayton has been open about his struggles with addiction and credits his bandmates for their support during his recovery.
We extend our heartfelt thoughts to Clayton and his family during this change. Share your thoughts and messages of support for Adam Clayton in the comments below.

Sponsored
Hi Adam, Be forever proud of your sobriety and be determined to never let go of it. I am coming up 43 years’ sober in October …. I did not want to die .. I was only 28 years old and had one year to live had I kept drinking … but I am still here. I can do it so can you.

A member of a band who stated in the 1990s they would drastically change the face of music forever. Well that happened, didn't it! :ROFLMAO:

After their first four albums, they became inconsequential, relying on political and social comment in their music. Midnight Oil went down the same route and became garbage like U2.

Adam Taylor gets divorced....so what! If he had lost an arm, that WOULD be news. He would have to take up the drums....ala Def Leppard style.

Your life’s journey no doubt would weave a rich tapestry.
Did you not enjoy drinking? As long as you’re single and not harming anyone else (other than yourself) enjoy the ride.
Death is not choice destination but ‘the’ destination how you get there is your choice inebriated enjoyment filled fast track or in aged care urine scented corridors of a dementia ward in an emaciated state because you were too weak to feed yourself as the orderly takes away your uneaten meal with ‘not hungry again?’
When your in Australia look me up and we’ll compare parallels in our journeys or I’ll come to Dublin (been twice and love it… the home of Guiness & Jamison’s )