TV host and former golf professional Stephanie Sparks passes away at 50

The world of sports and television is mourning the loss of a beloved figure, Stephanie Sparks, who has passed away at the tender age of 50.

Known for her vibrant personality and contributions to the world of golf, both as a professional player and television host, Sparks' death has come as a shock to fans and colleagues alike.

Stephanie Sparks carved out a niche in the competitive realm of sports broadcasting after a promising career on the green was cut short by back injuries.

Her journey from the fairways of the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour, where she also proudly represented the United States in the Curtis Cup, to the studios of the Golf Channel was marked by her determination and grace.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 7.38.04 AM.jpeg
Former golf professional and Big Break host Stephanie Sparks passed away at 50. Credit: NBC Sports

As the host of the popular Golf Channel program Big Break for seven seasons, Sparks became a household name, bringing her expertise and charm to the screen.

Her ability to connect with viewers and her passion for the game shone through in every episode, making her a crucial part of the show's success.

Her obituary confirmed her passing, stating that she died on 13 April 2024. The cause of her death has not been disclosed.

Born in Wheeling, West Virginia, USA, Sparks was a standout All-American college golfer at Duke University, where she won several amateur titles before turning professional.

Despite the heights she reached in her career, those who knew her remember Stephanie Sparks for her warmth and kindness.

Tributes have been pouring in from all corners, with colleagues and fans expressing their grief and sharing memories of a woman who touched many lives.

Tom Abbott, Sparks' co-host on Big Break, took to social media to express his disbelief and sorrow, reminiscing about the fond memories they shared on set.

‘I’m shocked and saddened by the death of Stephanie Sparks,’ he wrote.

‘Many of you will remember Steph as the host of #BigBreak—we worked together on seven seasons. Lots of fond memories of those times, Steph was a crucial part of the Big Break success story. My thoughts go out to her family.’

Kraig Kann, another Golf Channel colleague, remembered her as one of the kindest and sweetest people he knew, always greeting everyone with a smile.

‘She earned her perfect professional place on Golf Channel’s Big Break and our great respect, support and friendship inside that building. Prayers to her family,’ Kann said.

David Byrne, a former Big Break champion and current professional golfer, recalled a personal moment with Sparks that he will cherish forever.

‘I remember she came up to me on the plane home from Big Break and said, “I was rooting for you, congrats,”’ Byrne recalled.

‘Those two weeks, she was always so kind when she saw me. A Golf Channel legend. RIP.’

The loss is felt deeply by those who grew up with Sparks, as evident from the heartfelt messages on her obituary page.

Friends from her childhood and beyond have been sharing their disbelief and the profound influence she had on their lives, painting a picture of a woman who not only achieved her dreams but inspired others to pursue theirs.

‘I attended Wheeling Park with Stephanie. She was an amazing person with a wonderful heart,’ one said.

‘My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.’

Another said, ‘To the Sparks family, thoughts and prayers to you all for your loss.’

‘I am in shock and disbelief at this awful news. Steph was a big part of my childhood and every memory I have of her is a good memory.

‘I am very proud to be able to say that I was a friend for many years.’

‘Steph made her dreams come true, and I was always so very happy for her.’

‘Truly, a wonderful person. God bless.’

A private family service is set to be held in her hometown, honouring a life that, while too short, was undoubtedly well-lived.
Key Takeaways

• Former professional golfer and television host Stephanie Sparks has passed away at the age of 50.
  • Stephanie Sparks had a career in golf, including playing on the LPGA Tour and representing the USA in the Curtis Cup, before becoming a host on the Golf Channel.
  • Her death was confirmed by her co-host Tom Abbott and her obituary, though the cause of death remains unknown.
  • Tributes have been pouring in, celebrating Sparks’ kindness, professional achievements and her impact on others.
Our thoughts go out to Stephanie Sparks' family and friends during this difficult time.

May she rest in peace.

Sponsored
As being part of the Senior community I find it in extremely bad taste to have these deaths pushed down our throats almost every single day. If it was somebody near or close to us we would already know. If they were near or close to us and we didn't know, what a horrible way to learn of it. Otherwise for those who didn't know them it is just plain gossip.

As being part of the Senior community I find it in extremely bad taste to have these deaths pushed down our throats almost every single day. If it was somebody near or close to us we would already know. If they were near or close to us and we didn't know, what a horrible way to learn of it. Otherwise for those who didn't know them it is just plain gossip.
I think if it was someone you knew personally and was close then you should have already been told.

Alot of people like to know when some well known people have passed.

There are alit of English people on here a like to know when someone back home has passed.

I think for those who don't want to hear from the obituaries then just move on to another post.

I have never heard of this person but I'm sure there are others who have and SDC maybe the only way they will find out

1. I think if it was someone you knew personally and was close then you should have already been told.

2. Alot of people like to know when some well known people have passed.

3. There are alit of English people on here a like to know when someone back home has passed.

4. I think for those who don't want to hear from the obituaries then just move on to another post.

5. I have never heard of this person but I'm sure there are others who have and SDC maybe the only way they will find out
1. If I knew the person and had already been told I personally would be hurt and disgusted to see articles similar to this one.
2. Then they are a bunch of ghouls.
3. I don't understand why you said that. She was American not English.
4. You can't help but read the headlines can you.
5. You've never heard of this person and yet you read the article? I believe I mentioned that sort of attitude previously.

I am allowed my personal opinions.

1. If I knew the person and had already been told I personally would be hurt and disgusted to see articles similar to this one.
2. Then they are a bunch of ghouls.
3. I don't understand why you said that. She was American not English.
4. You can't help but read the headlines can you.
5. You've never heard of this person and yet you read the article? I believe I mentioned that sort of attitude previously.

I am allowed my personal opinions.
1. I know she was American, I mentioned English because SDC post when famous English people have passed. There are alot of English on here.

2. Your not making sense, what sdc post on this subject is already printed in the media world. Newspapers, magazines, Facebook ect . Sdc is the last to post it.

3. For one if one of my favourite famous people passed then ,yes I would want to know to pay respect and honour them

Final thought. You are allowed Your opion and stories . Not all topics are everyone's cup of tea , so move on, don't be ridiculous by telling them not to post certain articles , that's plain rude.

Last edited: