SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Turn your pocket change into a fortune! Discover how this savvy Aussie shopper made a serious profit from a $2 eBay flip

The adage, 'one man's trash is another man's treasure,' continues to hold a degree of timeless wisdom to it – a wisdom that has only expanded with the advent of online selling platforms.

Remember the good old days when you could haggle your way through the local markets, and every small purchase felt like a substantial victory?

Well, the times may have changed, but the treasure hunt simply moved from physical stores to digital screens, with websites like eBay leading the digital marketplace revolution.

shutterstock_204633127.jpg
Have you ever tried selling second-hand goods on eBay? Image source: Shutterstock.

Indeed, eBay has become a 21st-century treasure trove for thrifty folks and treasure hunters worldwide. This platform is the new marketplace where the extraordinary and the everyday meet, a place where you could potentially find anything: from nostalgia-evoking trinkets to undiscovered gold mines languishing in someone's attic.

One astute Aussie has not only capitalised on the money-making potential of eBay, but he has also shared how he managed to churn an unbelievable profit: transforming a simple $2 into a whopping $200, which is quite a feat by any standard.

Introducing our protagonist, Beyaj, an enterprising shopper and budding entrepreneur, who has discovered a knack for 'flipping' second-hand items into impressive profits. His journey, documented on social media under the alias 'Aussie Thrifter', is a testament to the power of perseverance, a keen eye, and a touch of online savviness.

Beyaj's crowning glory was a bundle of Nintendo Wii U games found nestled in the corners of a local St Vincent de Paul shop – a seemingly ordinary, pre-loved set of video games worth a mere $2. But who could predict that these hidden gems would unlock a treasure trove in the booming ‘old school’ gaming scene? As it turned out, this bundle held a total value exceeding $200, making his $2 purchase an incredibly lucrative investment.

Beyaj, in a video, revealed his jaw-dropping find: 'Today I had one of the most insane finds, you're not going to believe it. It hit up the DVD [section] like usual, but today look what was sitting there. Paper Mario alone is an $80-$90 game, and the others are worth just over $100. That's $200 worth of value from a $2 purchase!'

Beyaj’s eBay escapades aren’t solely limited to video games. From DVDs and toys right up to - believe it or not - Bibles, this savvy flipper has truly demonstrated that with a discerning eye, one can find value in places least expected.

But we're not here just to write about his tales of success. Members, now it's your time to shine, and here we present Beyaj's six golden rules for beginners who wish to venture into the world of eBay flipping:

1. Consistently list new products.
2. Promote your listings.
3. Be receptive to offers.
4. Ensure speedy postage times.
5. Eschew lousy reviews.
6. Roll out discounts and activate coupon codes.

While venturing into eBay's colourful world, remember the givens: eBay charges a seller a fee, patience is a prerequisite, and some days you might need a bit of luck on your side.

However, never underestimate the lure of brand names, vintage items, and popular DVDs. They can attract a flock of viewers to your humble eBay nest. Just like our dear Beyaj, you might find that a few extra dollars can turn into a considerable profit!

Key Takeaways
  • A young Australian shopper known as Beyaj turned $2 into $200 by purchasing a bundle of Nintendo Wii U games at his local St Vincent de Paul op shop and selling them online.
  • Beyaj focuses on flipping secondhand, branded, and vintage products on eBay for profit, with DVD games as a niche market.
  • When selling on eBay, it is essential to consider the online fees, which can decrease total profits. Consistency, listing promotion, and excellent customer service are part of the 'golden rules' for successful selling on eBay.
  • This side hustle is something that anyone can start or try, requiring time, patience and a keen eye for secondhand shops.

So, ladies and gents, roll up your sleeves, dust off the attic or basement boxes or take a stroll to your nearest charity shop. Who knows? Your little trinket might be worth quite a fortune.

So, members, what do you think of this story? Have you ever tried something like this yourself? We would love to read your thoughts and stories in the comment section below!

Reactions: Ezzy
I sell a lot on ebay and firstly the fees are ridiculously expensive.

To promote an item is an extra cost of between $2.50 to $10 an item .

My hobby was going to second hand shops buying and listing. It's putting money into the second hand shop and then also helping me .

I once purchased a very old wedding dress for $1.50 as a dress up for my girls. I knew it was old and knew it was shatung silk.

After maybe 6 months I decide to take it to a Antique shop and sold it to them for $450.00

I sell a lot on ebay and firstly the fees are ridiculously expensive.

To promote an item is an extra cost of between $2.50 to $10 an item .

My hobby was going to second hand shops buying and listing. It's putting money into the second hand shop and then also helping me .

I once purchased a very old wedding dress for $1.50 as a dress up for my girls. I knew it was old and knew it was shatung silk.

After maybe 6 months I decide to take it to a Antique shop and sold it to them for $450.00
People tell me that its becomiming increasingly expensive to bother with Ebay,