'Trust no one': 55-year-old Aussie woman warns after being scammed, beaten, and left stranded overseas

Getting taken advantage of is an unpleasant experience — but one that could have ended far worse for an Australian woman, who recently fell victim to a property scam in Mexico.

And two fellow Aussies were behind it all.

Mary, who is still stranded in Mexico City, was promised a business deal involving a ‘sustainable property’ and coffee cultivation in Oaxaca, a state in the southwest of Mexico.

But upon arriving in the country in December she soon found herself bruised, beaten, and scared.

The 55-year-old Sydney woman had been wanting to move overseas for some time and felt she was ready for another adventure after spending seven years in France.

It was a mutual friend who had introduced her to the Australian expat couple, who proposed the business venture after they had lived in Mexico for two-and-a-half years.

The pair were able to eventually gain Mary’s trust after a year of talking about the partnership. Soon enough, she flew to Mexico.

As soon as Mary arrived in the country, things took a turn for the worse.

3499225717_2dcf7fcffb_o.jpg
Oaxaca City, the eponymous capital of the province, is located near the southern tip of Mexico. Image Credit: Flickr

She found that there was another woman from France who was enticed by the Aussie expat couple as a potential business partner.

As anyone would, Mary and the French woman did their due diligence by asking questions to verify the legitimacy of the expats’ business proposal.

Mary has a background in legal sector work, which means the questions they asked involved questions about the legal aspects of their venture.

The expat couple weren’t able to answer about ‘95 per cent’ of what Mary and the French woman asked.

Some of the things that stood out, according to Mary, were that they were unable to answer questions about the supposed Oaxaca property and that they were rather insistent that she hand over her share of the money to fund the faux coffee business.

Despite the alarm bells ringing, Mary ended up meeting the expat couple in person.

Mary, however, said the couple went ‘feral’.

She alleges that the woman grabbed her bag which had her phone and passport and ‘dumped’ her at a hostel. She said she was told that she’d get her belongings back when she was transferred to another accommodation.

By this point, Mary was understandably fearing for her life. At one point, she even considered making a break for it by jumping out of the vehicle used to take her to the hostel.

Once they arrived, Mary and the woman got into a fight, which she said left bruises on her arm after she was allegedly restrained.

The woman then attempted to drive away, but Mary placed herself in front of the vehicle, thinking that surely, the woman would stop.

Mary was wrong.

1492307182_7f1b343859_o.jpg
Mary got bruises from an altercation with the female Aussie expat who tried to restrain her. Image Credit: Flickr

The woman allegedly drove into her, enough to add more bruises to her body, but not enough to gravely injure her.

Mary claims the woman said ‘This is Mexico, there are no laws here.’

And so her worst fears were confirmed: Mary was stuck in the middle of Mexico not knowing a lick of Spanish.

To add to her already dire situation, she also suspected that the hostel and the Aussie expat couple were somehow in cahoots.

‘There was a clear link between the woman and the hostel,’ she stressed.

She then left the hostel — thankfully without much fuss from those who ran the place — but now she had no idea where to go next.

But in a stroke of luck, she chanced upon a sympathetic family who helped her move to another hotel in town.

Mary’s ordeal was far from over despite being able to put some distance between herself and the expat couple.

The days after her hostel exit saw her bombarded with emails from the couple’s alleged ‘extortion campaign’, where they were demanding compensation for ‘damage’ to their car.

Mary has since been able to relocate to Mexico City, where she remains for the time being — traumatised, and fearful of her safety.

She said she broke her silence, under the condition of anonymity, to warn other Aussies of falling into the same trap.

Firstly, she reminded those pursuing business deals overseas to always have separate accommodation prepared.

She then gave a sobering warning on the perils of being in an unfamiliar territory.

'In a place like Mexico, there are many scams. Don't trust anyone,' she said.

'If you think someone is "on your side" because they happen to be Australian, think again.'

Investment Scam Warning Signs.jpg
As in Mary's case, one sign of an investment scam is the victim being rushed to contribute cash. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

She also warned against people who seem too good to be true, admitting that she felt like she was ‘groomed’ for the year she spent talking with the expat couple about the faux business deal.

The husband, in particular, was ‘kind and understanding’.

Mary, who says she’s not the type to be ‘easily fooled’, is now the picture of regret.

‘I thought we had the same values, that we were all on the same page,' she said.

'I'm not stupid but I feel stupid.’

Mary has said that the ‘sustainable property’ she was first offered turned out to be ‘communal land’.

It remains unclear if the French woman encountered similar treatment.

Meanwhile, it is also understood that Mary has sought assistance from the Australian Embassy in Mexico as well as legal representation back home.

Her legal counsel says that while they expect Mary back home soon in Sydney, they also aren’t counting on local authorities to pursue the matter at length because they’re ‘infamous for their corruption and poor policing’.

Key Takeaways

• A woman has claimed that she was left bruised and bloodied after falling victim to an elaborate property investment scam involving two Australian expats living in Mexico.
  • Mary (not her real name), has a warning for anyone else considering getting into business with people overseas: 'Trust no one.'
  • Mary’s legal counsel expects her to be home soon and is sceptical that local authorities will act on her case.
  • Australians lost $377.3 million to investment scams in 2022.
According to Scam Watch statistics, there were 9,361 reports of investment scams in Australia in 2022. Of this figure, almost half or 47.7 per cent resulted in financial losses amounting to a total of $377.3 million.

On the topic of cautionary tales, here are other stories you might find interesting:
And if you suspect you’ve fallen for a scam, don’t delay informing authorities like Scam Watch of your circumstances so you can find out what your options are.

You can reach Scam Watch through this link or through their directory of related services here.

So, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you have a similar experience of trusting someone and ending up regretting your choice? What happened?

Tell us your opinions and stories below!

Sponsored
Geez. That's not an unusual story.
I know a young lady who flew to Mexico to meet a guy that she talked/met online to begin a relationship. The guy had previously told her that he owned property and showed her houses/stores that he owned. It was all a lie. She was lucky, as a friend of his helped her & was able to fly back home.
Also, years ago my son represented Australia in sport & had to fly to Mexico to play against international teams. The team stayed in a 5 star hotel that had all the amenities with a pool etc. The hotel catered for breakfast ie. like a cafeteria style. They provided a hot breakfast in the heated cabinets with bacon, sausages, rissoles/hamburgers, eggs etc.
On the first morning, my son said it was a nice breakfast. After the team had finished eating, some food was left over on a few plates.
They watched in horror, as the hotel staff scraped the leftover food back in the heated cabinets for other guests to eat. Consequently, the team had toast every morning.
The team also incurred skin infections from the shower water as well.

If you only knew of how many calls I receive a week and even every day of the week from people trying to sell me something and/or offer me huge potential you'd be shocked.

My first response to them is as to why they don't go and get themselves a proper job and then hang up.

• Love
Reactions: Zoya and MindyMac
Geez. That's not an unusual story.
I know a young lady who flew to Mexico to meet a guy that she talked/met online to begin a relationship. The guy had previously told her that he owned property and showed her houses/stores that he owned. It was all a lie. She was lucky, as a friend of his helped her & was able to fly back home.
Also, years ago my son represented Australia in sport & had to fly to Mexico to play against international teams. The team stayed in a 5 star hotel that had all the amenities with a pool etc. The hotel catered for breakfast ie. like a cafeteria style. They provided a hot breakfast in the heated cabinets with bacon, sausages, rissoles/hamburgers, eggs etc.
On the first morning, my son said it was a nice breakfast. After the team had finished eating, some food was left over on a few plates.
They watched in horror, as the hotel staff scraped the leftover food back in the heated cabinets for other guests to eat. Consequently, the team had toast every morning.
The team also incurred skin infections from the shower water as well.
That is truly disgusting 🤢

Getting taken advantage of is an unpleasant experience — but one that could have ended far worse for an Australian woman, who recently fell victim to a property scam in Mexico.

And two fellow Aussies were behind it all.

Mary, who is still stranded in Mexico City, was promised a business deal involving a ‘sustainable property’ and coffee cultivation in Oaxaca, a state in the southwest of Mexico.

But upon arriving in the country in December she soon found herself bruised, beaten, and scared.

The 55-year-old Sydney woman had been wanting to move overseas for some time and felt she was ready for another adventure after spending seven years in France.

It was a mutual friend who had introduced her to the Australian expat couple, who proposed the business venture after they had lived in Mexico for two-and-a-half years.

The pair were able to eventually gain Mary’s trust after a year of talking about the partnership. Soon enough, she flew to Mexico.

As soon as Mary arrived in the country, things took a turn for the worse.

View attachment 13461
Oaxaca City, the eponymous capital of the province, is located near the southern tip of Mexico. Image Credit: Flickr

She found that there was another woman from France who was enticed by the Aussie expat couple as a potential business partner.

As anyone would, Mary and the French woman did their due diligence by asking questions to verify the legitimacy of the expats’ business proposal.

Mary has a background in legal sector work, which means the questions they asked involved questions about the legal aspects of their venture.

The expat couple weren’t able to answer about ‘95 per cent’ of what Mary and the French woman asked.

Some of the things that stood out, according to Mary, were that they were unable to answer questions about the supposed Oaxaca property and that they were rather insistent that she hand over her share of the money to fund the faux coffee business.

Despite the alarm bells ringing, Mary ended up meeting the expat couple in person.

Mary, however, said the couple went ‘feral’.

She alleges that the woman grabbed her bag which had her phone and passport and ‘dumped’ her at a hostel. She said she was told that she’d get her belongings back when she was transferred to another accommodation.

By this point, Mary was understandably fearing for her life. At one point, she even considered making a break for it by jumping out of the vehicle used to take her to the hostel.

Once they arrived, Mary and the woman got into a fight, which she said left bruises on her arm after she was allegedly restrained.

The woman then attempted to drive away, but Mary placed herself in front of the vehicle, thinking that surely, the woman would stop.

Mary was wrong.

View attachment 13462
Mary got bruises from an altercation with the female Aussie expat who tried to restrain her. Image Credit: Flickr

The woman allegedly drove into her, enough to add more bruises to her body, but not enough to gravely injure her.

Mary claims the woman said ‘This is Mexico, there are no laws here.’

And so her worst fears were confirmed: Mary was stuck in the middle of Mexico not knowing a lick of Spanish.

To add to her already dire situation, she also suspected that the hostel and the Aussie expat couple were somehow in cahoots.

‘There was a clear link between the woman and the hostel,’ she stressed.

She then left the hostel — thankfully without much fuss from those who ran the place — but now she had no idea where to go next.

But in a stroke of luck, she chanced upon a sympathetic family who helped her move to another hotel in town.

Mary’s ordeal was far from over despite being able to put some distance between herself and the expat couple.

The days after her hostel exit saw her bombarded with emails from the couple’s alleged ‘extortion campaign’, where they were demanding compensation for ‘damage’ to their car.

Mary has since been able to relocate to Mexico City, where she remains for the time being — traumatised, and fearful of her safety.

She said she broke her silence, under the condition of anonymity, to warn other Aussies of falling into the same trap.

Firstly, she reminded those pursuing business deals overseas to always have separate accommodation prepared.

She then gave a sobering warning on the perils of being in an unfamiliar territory.

'In a place like Mexico, there are many scams. Don't trust anyone,' she said.

'If you think someone is "on your side" because they happen to be Australian, think again.'

View attachment 13481
As in Mary's case, one sign of an investment scam is the victim being rushed to contribute cash. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

She also warned against people who seem too good to be true, admitting that she felt like she was ‘groomed’ for the year she spent talking with the expat couple about the faux business deal.

The husband, in particular, was ‘kind and understanding’.

Mary, who says she’s not the type to be ‘easily fooled’, is now the picture of regret.

‘I thought we had the same values, that we were all on the same page,' she said.

'I'm not stupid but I feel stupid.’

Mary has said that the ‘sustainable property’ she was first offered turned out to be ‘communal land’.

It remains unclear if the French woman encountered similar treatment.

Meanwhile, it is also understood that Mary has sought assistance from the Australian Embassy in Mexico as well as legal representation back home.

Her legal counsel says that while they expect Mary back home soon in Sydney, they also aren’t counting on local authorities to pursue the matter at length because they’re ‘infamous for their corruption and poor policing’.

Key Takeaways

• A woman has claimed that she was left bruised and bloodied after falling victim to an elaborate property investment scam involving two Australian expats living in Mexico.
  • Mary (not her real name), has a warning for anyone else considering getting into business with people overseas: 'Trust no one.'
  • Mary’s legal counsel expects her to be home soon and is sceptical that local authorities will act on her case.
  • Australians lost $377.3 million to investment scams in 2022.
According to Scam Watch statistics, there were 9,361 reports of investment scams in Australia in 2022. Of this figure, almost half or 47.7 per cent resulted in financial losses amounting to a total of $377.3 million.

On the topic of cautionary tales, here are other stories you might find interesting:
And if you suspect you’ve fallen for a scam, don’t delay informing authorities like Scam Watch of your circumstances so you can find out what your options are.

You can reach Scam Watch through this link or through their directory of related services here.

So, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you have a similar experience of trusting someone and ending up regretting your choice? What happened?

Tell us your opinions and stories below!
Trust no one

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. The woman should have investigated the couple further. Also, they could have been New Zealanders that sound very much like Australians except for the way they pronounce number '6.' I would have investigated the company, how long it was registered for, who the actual owners were, proof of their Australian passports and their Australian history. Whether they were known to Australian police and WANTED. Whether they were WANTED in any other country as well. I also wondered what made this woman even think that she would capitalise on a coffee business when she was Clueless about it. She also had no expertise in Import and Export of produce. Just because she worked in a legal office she thought she was a genius. Plus, I take it that she had no travel insurance as well to cover the costs of any medical expenses. I hope that she is made to pay back the Australian tax-payers for the costs for her extra accommodation and ex-pat back to Australia that the Australian Embassy in Mexico arranged and paid. Ultimately, it came out of tax dollars. She is 'exactly' the sort of person that would have lodged a travel claim for $all the costs and including her being taken for a $Ride on the fake business when I did claims for 35 years including international travel. I came across really stupid claim submissions. And I really do mean 'really stupid' that until this day I still can not get around how some people actually think. I would have gleefully denied her claim for the loss of fake investment, her costs for her flights over to Mexico and accommodation and meals there. Plus, No Doubt the cost of her flight back to Australia ... etc.. The only part that would have been covered is the medical costs less excess.

Last edited: