Truck driver involved in a horrific crash that killed a two-year-old might not survive his own mental health, according to his daughter

Truck driver involved in a horrific crash that killed a two-year-old might not survive his own mental health, according to his daughter
Matt Livingston, 42, whose truck ploughed into five cars in a tragic crash that claimed the life of a 2-year-old girl, might not survive his own mental health, according to his daughter Courtney.

The 42-year-old's 42-tonne semi-trailer veered out of control on the Calder Freeway in Victoria at about 2:30 pm on Monday.

S6HxD3CjuRMIgNq5e35ge2OTUni7IYGO9ZXUZ_TaTSHZKhKsESP6A0_-CGrjCog2AUmf7nFJ1xPjqIbESCGciTCQvX2bvyMm2Aqn3PPyRz0f-hjPiFXqp7t0dQ-hlvYuFQUMZac

Courtney, daughter of Matt Livingston whose truck ploughed five cars, said that she is worried her father might take his own life due to the accident. Credit: Nine.

The horror crash killed one toddler, who was sitting at the back of her parents Volkswagen SUV and seriously injured 4 people, including the parents of the toddler, her 1-year-old sister, and a 62-year-old man whose car was also hit by the crash.

0fvAKpPmJUtMU_c9UTi3G_jYjC-u4otZm0pJU1qnP8GmT-T-3Nbf2vyTXR5D1O2vi7AcYA0YHvkfTcIufyH0UoGaMjGBYvgaxEBkbyzt8BYt7fZzBp9Az-9lNMv3bxuI3WMg9bo

The horrific crash resulted in the death of a two-year-old girl and the injury of four people. Credit: Nine News.

Mr Livingston was released from police custody due to pending further inquiries.

Courtney described the accident which involved her father as an 'absolute tragedy'.

'I will be surprised if he can survive his own mental health after this,' she told the Herald Sun.

'A car swerved in front of him as shown on dashcam footage. It's much more difficult for a fully loaded truck to brake than a normal car.'

Victoria State Emergency Service Councillor Jarrod Bell said that the accident was a 'confronting' scene to attend.

Bell said: 'Six vehicles and five people trapped, this is one of the largest and most complex calls I have attended in a decade.'

'Any incident involving a child is challenging but when we are dealing with the death of a two-year-old that breaks my heart. This call is something that will sit with us for quite a while.'

e4wsz18v7KeN60iQ7DbUWAmOpWLoPHgYL74P7SmFsVhoYMUmGbS3p4Z50ycX8eyiOvPnc3Z1-IugTksJzHA55-y5beweOQnSMJhio4A0eygcN5GdPp2vSV76i7u26qWFxPcFxvA

A Victoria State Emergency Service officer said that the crash accident was a 'confronting' scene to attend. Credit: Nine.

Currently, several factors around the circumstances of the crash are being investigated, with the police saying that it is too early to come up with answers on speculations on whether the driver was under the influence or was drugged when the crash happened.

Detective Sergeants Mark Amos said: 'We are too early in the investigation to come up with those answers - whether there is an involvement of excessive speeding or drugs, or anything like that.'

'It is simple physics why this happened and if people don't show some responsibility and respect it, then this will continue… and other families are going to have the single worst Christmas of their lives.'

Detective Amos also pleaded for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to come forward.

Dashcam footage captured the horrendous moment, showing distressing images of grain and debris strewn across the highway.

1t4N9taMpMDJB5gZLs1XZEIRaaUaHTMgogkXrYM3gQAlDK4NsuLbEEvPQNPywu-9qhdIX3hFx9O7jFi0CSHI6ktcPjox8L-3PiWJ5nvHO0on8a9OqcT3tGqNpp8cCzPpmnoQa2o

Footage showed distressing images of grain and debris strewn across the highway. Credit: Nine.

wa5Wp1OakVAr7tR-SIY7GFpIQtT0VhNIFlLxHXGPUgZTmcKf2UsqFfzX67L6_2Hu2u-ofldtcAtZToY3qqPfqwWW0nmoD2UVGy8g_lpkjl9baauisJUB_iDfuRU-9juv2PRrQNM

Onlookers said that it was the worst wreckage they have seen, with some of them admitting that they broke down when they saw the report in the news. Credit: Nine.

A number of onlookers shared their sentiments on social media, writing that the wreckage was the worst they have ever witnessed.

One woman wrote: 'Drove past this just after it happened and I felt sick to my stomach. Terrible.'

Others, who got stuck in traffic due to the horrific crash, said that seeing the reports about the tragedy on the news made them break down.

Detective Amos urged motorists to slow down, saying: 'This is a catastrophe, this is an absolute disaster.'

'It's monumentally frustrating to see this sort of stuff... take your time, slow down, look after each other.'

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000

For confidential crisis support, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14

• Sad
Reactions: Fat&fancy
Sponsored
Such a tragedy. A moment of distraction or carelessness and many families are affected for the rest of their lives. Our roads are dangerous and it is our actions that should change this. We are all time poor sometimes but driving is a dangerous thing that can have awful consequences.

This is such a tragedy for all involved, including emergency responders. I saw in the rain here in Brisbane yesterday how people were cutting in and out of lanes in front of trucks. For heavens sake drive to the conditions and give trucks room to brake. Everyone involved with the horror crash above will be scared for life.:cry:

I drove trucks for 40+ yrs I had several incidents with impatient drivers cutting in front of me & to make me brake heavily with a full heavy load. Believe me it's very hair raising, I was even run off the road a couple of times to avoid any accidents. PLEASE THINK OF OTHERS DONT BE ME ME'S
👍🤠🇦🇺

I have often said that they need to include more "common-sense " questions into the driving test (like why won't you rapidly change lanes in front of a huge truck...) and getting new drivers to understand that it takes longer for things like truck and trains to stop....that it takes them longer to stop on a wet or dirt road, etc etc... I hear that in Germany they are taught to drive to the conditions of the road rather than just the speed limits, which is such a good idea!!