Tributes pour as legendary sports broadcaster passes away at 71 after battle with cancer

A beloved figure in the world of sports broadcasting has sadly passed away after a courageous battle with cancer.

The renowned commentator, known for his distinctive voice and passionate coverage, leaves behind a legacy that will be remembered by fans and colleagues alike.

His contributions to the industry and the lives he touched will never be forgotten.

The Australian sports broadcasting community is mourning the loss of one of its most revered voices, David ‘Thirsty’ Morrow, who passed away at the age of 71 after a valiant battle with brain cancer.

Known for his unique commentary and deep love for sports, Morrow's passing marks the end of an era in Australian sports journalism.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 080208.jpg
Legendary sports broadcaster David ‘Thirsty’ Morrow, 71, passed away after battling brain cancer. Credit: Instagram / NRL

Affectionately known as 'Thirsty' to his colleagues and listeners, Morrow stepped back from his beloved commentary duties earlier this year following a devastating diagnosis in December.

His voice had become synonymous with some of the most memorable moments in Australian sports, and his absence from the airwaves was felt deeply by fans across the nation.

The National Rugby League (NRL) revealed last week that he would be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

His colleague and close friend, Ray Hadley, shared the news of Morrow's passing on 2GB radio who paid an emotional tribute to the legendary broadcaster.

‘He passed away around midnight last night after a courageous battle with brain cancer,’ Hadley shared.

‘I wish I wasn't telling people that my mate of more than 40 years standing has succumbed at the age of 71.’

‘He was a hell of a bloke. We’ve had some wonderful times together on football tours, going to country race meetings together…and as part of the Continuous Call team in the later years, I didn’t do as much as I normally did, but whenever I did, it was like we never parted company.’

‘I’ve worked with a lot of people over a long period of time in broadcasting, I think there’s no more versatile sports commentator than David Morrow. Had he been able to go to the Olympics with me next Tuesday, I think in the 33 sports that we participate in, he would be able to call every single one of them.’

‘He could do all of the things that others couldn’t and he will be sadly missed by everyone,’ he continued.

Hadley also expressed his gratitude to the other members of the NRL Hall of Fame committee for promoting him.

‘It was vitally important that we achieved what we did last week, and I thank Pater V’landys and the rest of the committee for doing that. That’s a great honour for David and his family,’ he said.

‘While David was not in a position to converse with me, he certainly was able to acknowledge in some way the fact that he had been elevated.’

David Morrow's illustrious career spanned over five decades, during which he lent his voice to various sports, primarily with ABC and 2GB.

In 2005, he was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for his contributions to sports journalism.

Morrow was not just a leading caller for rugby league, racing, and cricket; he also covered eight Olympics and six Commonwealth Games, bringing the excitement of international competition into the homes of countless Australians.

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chairman Peter V’landys also paid tribute to Morrow, describing him as a ‘champion in every sense of the word’.

‘David has been one of the great voices of the game—recognised around the country for his wit, his insight and his knowledge,’ he remarked.

‘I had the pleasure of knowing David throughout my career in sport, and he was a champion in every sense of the word. I have been honoured and privileged to know him as a friend.’

‘In his final days, David knew how cherished he was in the rugby league community, having been informed of his induction into the Hall of Fame. While it is terrible that we have lost David, it is comforting to know that he and his family were aware [of] what the game felt about his achievements.’

‘David’s life and contribution will be celebrated on August 21 at the Hall of Fame dinner. On behalf of the commission, I extend our sincerest condolences to David’s family and all those who worked with him and knew him,’ V’landys added.

The impact of David Morrow's passing extends beyond the broadcasting booth. Colleagues and listeners alike have shared their tributes, remembering him as a generous, kind, and brilliant broadcaster.

‘Terribly sad news. Had the privilege of working with David on Macquarie Sports Radio. He was incredibly generous, kind and a brilliant broadcaster. Thinking of his family and colleagues today,’ 7NEWS Melbourne producer Matt Thompson lamented.

‘David Morrow OAM. The world has lost a loving, caring, loyal and brilliant man. An irreplaceable hole. A man close to my heart. I’m glad he’s not suffering anymore. You’ll never be forgotten, mate. Heaven has just welcomed one heck of a broadcaster, 2GB colleague Mathew Thompson said.

‘And we lose another one people. So sad to hear of the passing of David Morrow. A brilliant broadcaster, great man, big friend of our little show here in NZ. Love & thoughts & prayers to all of you who were/are so close,’ podcaster Martin Devlin from New Zealand stated.
Key Takeaways
  • Legendary sports broadcaster David 'Thirsty' Morrow passed away at the age of 71 after a battle with brain cancer.
  • David Morrow's career spanned over 50 years, and he was widely recognised for his versatile commentary across various sports, including rugby league, racing, and cricket.
  • Colleague Ray Hadley gave an emotional tribute, acknowledging Morrow's induction into the NRL Hall of Fame and his significant contribution to sports broadcasting.
  • Tributes poured in from colleagues and the wider media community, reflecting on Morrow's kindness, generosity, and exceptional talent as a sports commentator.
Our thoughts and prayers are with David Morrow’s family, friends, and relatives in these difficult times. May he rest in peace.

How has David Morrow’s voice affected how you enjoy sporting events? We invite you to share your memories of David Morrow in the comments below.

Sponsored