Tributes flood in for AFL legend and Champion Data founder Ted Hopkins

In the annals of Australian Football League (AFL) history, few figures have left as indelible a mark as Ted Hopkins.

The Carlton premiership hero and football statistician passed away at the age of 74 after a long illness, leaving behind a legacy that extends far beyond the football field.

Ted Hopkins played a mere 29 games for the Blues and soon retired from league football at the tender age of 21. Despite his brief career, his impact on the sport was profound, and his name is forever etched in the annals of the VFL/AFL.

The 1970 grand final remains one of the most memorable moments in AFL history, and Hopkins was at the heart of it.

SDC Images (6).png
Ted Hopkins, a Carlton premiership hero, has passed away at age 74. Image source: X/@tony_debolfo.

As the Magpies led by a staggering 44 points at half-time, a young Hopkins was called upon by legendary coach Ron Barassi.

Hopkins, with his speed and agility, managed to turn the tide of the match, kicking four goals and leading Carlton to a monumental come-from-behind victory over Collingwood.

In a 2020 interview, Hopkins recalled the match, saying, 'That was amazing how Carlton would be able to get back against Collingwood.'

'I helped Carlton enormously because I had the speed, and we were able to get the handballs and the long kicking. There were great players.'

However, Hopkins' contributions to the sport didn't end with his retirement from playing. He went on to found Champion Data, a stats company that revolutionised football and remains at the heart of the AFL today.

His innovative approach to data analysis and his vision for the future of the sport have had a lasting impact on how the game is played and understood.

Hopkins' later years were marked by health challenges, including a stroke, dementia symptoms, and a diagnosis of mitochondrial disease.

He is survived by his only child, Erica, who fondly remembered her father, saying, 'Dad was so lovely and kind. He was [a] wonderful father. He was really smart, creative, and he did a lot of different things. He stayed close to football through his involvement with Champion Data and his connection with Carlton.'

The AFL community has also been mourning the loss of Hopkins, with former AFL reporter Mark Stevens writing, 'Really sad news. Loved my time talking stats with the quirky Ted in Champion Data’s early days. Created so much of today’s footy language.'

Tony De Bolfo, a Carlton historian, paid tribute to Hopkins, saying, 'Vale Ted Hopkins—waterskier, author, poet, publisher, broadcaster, data analyst. And as a Carlton premiership player of 1970, football’s most famous benchwarmer.'

You can read De Bolfo’s full post below:

Source: X/@tony_debolfo.

Football publisher Geoff Slattery added: 'I loved Ted. Anything but a four-goal GF hero. His AFL Record columns were so insightful. His vision to create Champion Data was remarkable and has never been replicated. His memoir The Stats Revolution is a superb life story. Vale.'

Hopkins' passing comes two months after the death of his premiership coach, Ron Barassi, aged 87, and the deaths of teammates Sergio Silvagni and Neil Chandler in 2021 and 2022 respectively.
Key Takeaways
  • Carlton premiership hero and football statistician Ted Hopkins has passed away at the age of 74 after a long battle with multiple illnesses.
  • Hopkins played only 29 games for the Blues but remains a key figure in VFL/AFL history for his role in the Blues' monumental come-from-behind win in the 1970 grand final.
  • After retiring from football, Hopkins founded Champion Data, a stats company that revolutionised football and continues to influence the AFL today.
  • Hopkins, who had suffered a stroke and shown symptoms of dementia in recent years was also diagnosed with mitochondrial disease and is survived by his only child Erica.
As we remember Ted Hopkins, we celebrate not just a football hero but a visionary who transformed the sport in ways that continue to resonate today. His legacy is a testament to the power of innovation, the importance of data, and the enduring love of the game.

May Ted Hopkins rest in peace.

Sponsored
In the annals of Australian Football League (AFL) history, few figures have left as indelible a mark as Ted Hopkins.

The Carlton premiership hero and football statistician passed away at the age of 74 after a long illness, leaving behind a legacy that extends far beyond the football field.

Ted Hopkins played a mere 29 games for the Blues and soon retired from league football at the tender age of 21. Despite his brief career, his impact on the sport was profound, and his name is forever etched in the annals of the VFL/AFL.

The 1970 grand final remains one of the most memorable moments in AFL history, and Hopkins was at the heart of it.

View attachment 35417
Ted Hopkins, a Carlton premiership hero, has passed away at age 74. Image source: X/@tony_debolfo.

As the Magpies led by a staggering 44 points at half-time, a young Hopkins was called upon by legendary coach Ron Barassi.

Hopkins, with his speed and agility, managed to turn the tide of the match, kicking four goals and leading Carlton to a monumental come-from-behind victory over Collingwood.

In a 2020 interview, Hopkins recalled the match, saying, 'That was amazing how Carlton would be able to get back against Collingwood.'

'I helped Carlton enormously because I had the speed, and we were able to get the handballs and the long kicking. There were great players.'

However, Hopkins' contributions to the sport didn't end with his retirement from playing. He went on to found Champion Data, a stats company that revolutionised football and remains at the heart of the AFL today.

His innovative approach to data analysis and his vision for the future of the sport have had a lasting impact on how the game is played and understood.

Hopkins' later years were marked by health challenges, including a stroke, dementia symptoms, and a diagnosis of mitochondrial disease.

He is survived by his only child, Erica, who fondly remembered her father, saying, 'Dad was so lovely and kind. He was [a] wonderful father. He was really smart, creative, and he did a lot of different things. He stayed close to football through his involvement with Champion Data and his connection with Carlton.'

The AFL community has also been mourning the loss of Hopkins, with former AFL reporter Mark Stevens writing, 'Really sad news. Loved my time talking stats with the quirky Ted in Champion Data’s early days. Created so much of today’s footy language.'

Tony De Bolfo, a Carlton historian, paid tribute to Hopkins, saying, 'Vale Ted Hopkins—waterskier, author, poet, publisher, broadcaster, data analyst. And as a Carlton premiership player of 1970, football’s most famous benchwarmer.'

You can read De Bolfo’s full post below:

Source: X/@tony_debolfo.

Football publisher Geoff Slattery added: 'I loved Ted. Anything but a four-goal GF hero. His AFL Record columns were so insightful. His vision to create Champion Data was remarkable and has never been replicated. His memoir The Stats Revolution is a superb life story. Vale.'

Hopkins' passing comes two months after the death of his premiership coach, Ron Barassi, aged 87, and the deaths of teammates Sergio Silvagni and Neil Chandler in 2021 and 2022 respectively.
Key Takeaways

• Carlton premiership hero and football statistician Ted Hopkins has passed away at the age of 74 after a long battle with multiple illnesses.
  • Hopkins played only 29 games for the Blues but remains a key figure in VFL/AFL history for his role in the Blues' monumental come-from-behind win in the 1970 grand final.
  • After retiring from football, Hopkins founded Champion Data, a stats company that revolutionised football and continues to influence the AFL today.
  • Hopkins, who had suffered a stroke and shown symptoms of dementia in recent years was also diagnosed with mitochondrial disease and is survived by his only child Erica.
As we remember Ted Hopkins, we celebrate not just a football hero but a visionary who transformed the sport in ways that continue to resonate today. His legacy is a testament to the power of innovation, the importance of data, and the enduring love of the game.

May Ted Hopkins rest in peace.

Hardly, retired b4 afl was even a dream. RIP

Reactions: AlanQ
Much the same as all Grand Finals should only be recognised from the inception of the AFL. Now watch the collingwood hordes react.
What a load of B/S AlanQ......even though we won the very first AFL Premiership and still keep winning them to this day.....AFL PREMIERS 2023. 😱😉

Much the same as all Grand Finals should only be recognised from the inception of the AFL. Now watch the collingwood hordes react.
What a load of B/S AlanQ......even though we won the very first AFL Premiership and still keep winning them to this day.....AFL PREMIERS 2023. 😱😉
I know nothing about AFL, but I’m quite entertained by the replies! 😂🤣

So sad to read this. Ted was a teacher at my school in 1970 and I had the biggest crush. (I've always had a weakness for blonds ha ha) I became a Carlton girl about halfway through the third quarter of the 1970 grand final because of Hoppy. Had many happy times (and a few not so happy recently) because of footy

So sad to read this. Ted was a teacher at my school in 1970 and I had the biggest crush. (I've always had a weakness for blonds ha ha) I became a Carlton girl about halfway through the third quarter of the 1970 grand final because of Hoppy. Had many happy times (and a few not so happy recently) because of footy
Yep Ted certainly made a name for himself in the '70 Granny...broke many Magpie supporters hearts that day, I was there and remember it well. Sorry to hear of his passing and condolences to Family and friends. RIP.

Reactions: featherfour