Traveller shares ‘wild’ five-star hotel experience: ‘I‘m so upset’

Lavish lifestyles, high-end luxury, and the promise of unparalleled service often go hand in hand with five-star hotels.

However, it seems that for one unsuspecting traveller, the reality was a costly lesson he isn't soon to forget!

A bloke named Kenneth decided to treat himself to the glitz and glamour of a five-star hotel for the first time in his life. Unbeknownst to him, the cost of laundry in the fancy place would more than just hit his wallet–it was enough to bring him to tears!

Kenneth took to social media, lamenting the costly episode that has left him vowing never to stay in a five-star hotel again.

‘I’m so upset, like I could literally cry right now,’ he said.

photo (8).jpg
Kenneth shared that he used the laundry service of the five-star hotel he stayed at. Credit: @kfergyy/TikTok

He mentioned in the video that he wanted to have his dirty laundry cleaned before his next flight.

‘I looked for some local laundromats near me, and of course, there were none nearby,' Kenneth explained.

This led him to 'bite the bullet' and hand over his clothes to be laundered directly by the hotel.

Kenneth envisioned the bill would be steeper due to the hotel's prestige, but he expected to only part with around $45-$60 AUD.

After eight hours, the laundry came back, and Kenneth was impressed.

‘I was like, “Wow, this is the nicest laundry I’ve ever done in my entire life”,’ Kenneth exclaimed.

His T-shirts were folded and pressed, with wax paper wrapping and an accompanying card. Some of his clothes were even wrapped in bows!

However, Kenneth's initial delight plunged rapidly into regret as he realised the accompanying card was not a 'Thank You' as initially thought.

photo 1 (4).jpg
Kenneth was charged $240 USD or $370 AUD for the laundry. Credit: @kfergyy/TikTok

'$240 (USD) for laundry! That's insane,’ Kenneth bemoaned.

His viral video resonated with viewers, amassing over 600,000 views, as they empathised with laughter and disbelief.

The comment section was filled with rather humorous remarks, with one person writing, ‘Thank you for experiencing this so I don’t have to.’

One viewer chortled, 'At that price, I would just throw my old clothes away and buy new ones.'

Another chimed in: 'D***, my clothes altogether are not more than $370 (AUD).'

Curiously, some pointed out that Kenneth’s surprise could have been avoided with a little due diligence. In most hotels, five-star or otherwise, a price list for services is usually provided.

'But there is a sheet with prices, and they always ask you to sign it before taking the laundry!' one commenter pointed out, reminding us of the importance of reading the fine print.

‘That’s on you. You should have checked the prices,’ another user said.

You can watch Kenneth’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • A traveller named Kenneth, staying in a five-star hotel, was charged a 'wild' fee for a laundry service.
  • The fee for professional washing, ironing and folding of his clothes amounted to $370 AUD, much more than Kenneth's anticipated $45 to $60 AUD.
  • Kenneth's experience became a viral video viewed more than 600,000 times, with many advising him to check the price list provided in every hotel room.
  • In light of this encounter, Kenneth confirmed that he will not be staying in five-star hotels anymore.

Do you have a similar experience while travelling, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why did he not ask how much it would cost before using the service?

I would have no issues asking, even if it is a 5 Star hotel!

Reactions: Cyberchook
Lavish lifestyles, high-end luxury, and the promise of unparalleled service often go hand in hand with five-star hotels.

However, it seems that for one unsuspecting traveller, the reality was a costly lesson he isn't soon to forget!

A bloke named Kenneth decided to treat himself to the glitz and glamour of a five-star hotel for the first time in his life. Unbeknownst to him, the cost of laundry in the fancy place would more than just hit his wallet–it was enough to bring him to tears!

Kenneth took to social media, lamenting the costly episode that has left him vowing never to stay in a five-star hotel again.

‘I’m so upset, like I could literally cry right now,’ he said.

View attachment 28656
Kenneth shared that he used the laundry service of the five-star hotel he stayed at. Credit: @kfergyy/TikTok

He mentioned in the video that he wanted to have his dirty laundry cleaned before his next flight.

‘I looked for some local laundromats near me, and of course, there were none nearby,' Kenneth explained.

This led him to 'bite the bullet' and hand over his clothes to be laundered directly by the hotel.

Kenneth envisioned the bill would be steeper due to the hotel's prestige, but he expected to only part with around $45-$60 AUD.

After eight hours, the laundry came back, and Kenneth was impressed.

‘I was like, “Wow, this is the nicest laundry I’ve ever done in my entire life”,’ Kenneth exclaimed.

His T-shirts were folded and pressed, with wax paper wrapping and an accompanying card. Some of his clothes were even wrapped in bows!

However, Kenneth's initial delight plunged rapidly into regret as he realised the accompanying card was not a 'Thank You' as initially thought.

View attachment 28657
Kenneth was charged $240 USD or $370 AUD for the laundry. Credit: @kfergyy/TikTok

'$240 (USD) for laundry! That's insane,’ Kenneth bemoaned.

His viral video resonated with viewers, amassing over 600,000 views, as they empathised with laughter and disbelief.

The comment section was filled with rather humorous remarks, with one person writing, ‘Thank you for experiencing this so I don’t have to.’

One viewer chortled, 'At that price, I would just throw my old clothes away and buy new ones.'

Another chimed in: 'D***, my clothes altogether are not more than $370 (AUD).'

Curiously, some pointed out that Kenneth’s surprise could have been avoided with a little due diligence. In most hotels, five-star or otherwise, a price list for services is usually provided.

'But there is a sheet with prices, and they always ask you to sign it before taking the laundry!' one commenter pointed out, reminding us of the importance of reading the fine print.

‘That’s on you. You should have checked the prices,’ another user said.

You can watch Kenneth’s video here:

Key Takeaways

• A traveller named Kenneth, staying in a five-star hotel, was charged a 'wild' fee for a laundry service.
  • The fee for professional washing, ironing and folding of his clothes amounted to $370 AUD, much more than Kenneth's anticipated $45 to $60 AUD.
  • Kenneth's experience became a viral video viewed more than 600,000 times, with many advising him to check the price list provided in every hotel room.
  • In light of this encounter, Kenneth confirmed that he will not be staying in five-star hotels anymore.

Do you have a similar experience while travelling, members? Share them in the comments below!

Only once did I have my laundry done by a hotel, when it came back it had shrunk as hey used very hot water.

Reactions: Trudi
Oh wow, your hotel adventure sounds like a rollercoaster! 😮 It's crazy how expectations can clash with reality sometimes. But hey, those unexpected experiences become the best stories, right? 🤣 If you ever need a cozy and hassle-free stay, just look up "accommodation near me." There are always hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Keep that travel spirit alive! 🌍✈️

Last edited: