Traveller calls out passenger for 'buckling' their seat - is this ever okay?

Are you tired of the frustration that comes with flying? From worrying about turbulence to dealing with crying babies and chatty seatmates, it's no wonder, so many of us dread getting on a plane.

But even if flying isn't your favourite mode of travel, there are still some rules and etiquette that we should all follow to make the experience as smooth as possible for everyone on board – and one Reddit user recently called out a fellow passenger for breaking one of those rules.

The traveller took to the social media platform to share their surprise at the other passenger's rude plane act, writing: 'Woman in front of me put some seat attachment which prevents me from opening my tray table,' alongside a photo of two sets of buckles covering up their tray table.

As you can see in the photo, the person in front of them had strapped a set of buckles around the back of their seat, which passed right in front of the other passenger's tray table.

This meant that the tray table couldn't be opened, which would obviously make it difficult for the person behind to eat or drink during the flight.

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.18.02 PM.png
A woman fastened two buckles around her seat, making it impossible for the person behind her to bring down their tray. Credit: Reddit.

Naturally, this frustrated the person who took the photo, and they took to Reddit to seek advice from other users about what to do.

Many have approached the topic from a logistical point of view, with one person writing, 'It's fairly easy to just un-buckle it, and you can put your tray down after that.'

Another user agreed and added, 'Unbuckle it. The opening is on your side. She has no right to do this. If not, call the cabin crew member, and they will kindly ask her to remove it.'

Others, however, defended the passenger in front, insisting that she most likely did not realise her actions may have upset the passenger behind her.

'Let her know what she did. She probably doesn't realise it,' one user advised. 'Then let her know you are going to undo it. Drop your tray table and then clip the buckles back around and close your tray table. Problem solved!'

Some users even tried to start a conversation to see if the woman in front may turn out to be a nice person or not. 'She might be a human. Try talking to her. That often works,' one person suggested.

So, what is the right thing to do in this situation?

If you find yourself in this situation, the best thing you can do is to politely ask the passenger in front if they mind if you unbuckle the straps so you can put your tray table down.

If they say no, then you can try to strike up a conversation and explain how uncomfortable it is for you to have your tray table up the entire flight.

At the end of the day, it's always best to try and be understanding and considerate of your fellow passengers – even if they're not being very considerate of you.

Member, have you ever had a similar 'mildly frustrating' experience on a flight? How did you deal with it?

Sponsored
Are you tired of the frustration that comes with flying? From worrying about turbulence to dealing with crying babies and chatty seatmates, it's no wonder, so many of us dread getting on a plane.

But even if flying isn't your favourite mode of travel, there are still some rules and etiquette that we should all follow to make the experience as smooth as possible for everyone on board – and one Reddit user recently called out a fellow passenger for breaking one of those rules.

The traveller took to the social media platform to share their surprise at the other passenger's rude plane act, writing: 'Woman in front of me put some seat attachment which prevents me from opening my tray table,' alongside a photo of two sets of buckles covering up their tray table.

As you can see in the photo, the person in front of them had strapped a set of buckles around the back of their seat, which passed right in front of the other passenger's tray table.

This meant that the tray table couldn't be opened, which would obviously make it difficult for the person behind to eat or drink during the flight.

View attachment 10141
A woman fastened two buckles around her seat, making it impossible for the person behind her to bring down their tray. Credit: Reddit.

Naturally, this frustrated the person who took the photo, and they took to Reddit to seek advice from other users about what to do.

Many have approached the topic from a logistical point of view, with one person writing, 'It's fairly easy to just un-buckle it, and you can put your tray down after that.'

Another user agreed and added, 'Unbuckle it. The opening is on your side. She has no right to do this. If not, call the cabin crew member, and they will kindly ask her to remove it.'

Others, however, defended the passenger in front, insisting that she most likely did not realise her actions may have upset the passenger behind her.

'Let her know what she did. She probably doesn't realise it,' one user advised. 'Then let her know you are going to undo it. Drop your tray table and then clip the buckles back around and close your tray table. Problem solved!'

Some users even tried to start a conversation to see if the woman in front may turn out to be a nice person or not. 'She might be a human. Try talking to her. That often works,' one person suggested.

If you find yourself in this situation, the best thing you can do is to politely ask the passenger in front if they mind if you unbuckle the straps so you can put your tray table down.

If they say no, then you can try to strike up a conversation and explain how uncomfortable it is for you to have your tray table up the entire flight.

At the end of the day, it's always best to try and be understanding and considerate of your fellow passengers – even if they're not being very considerate of you.

Member, have you ever had a similar 'mildly frustrating' experience on a flight? How did you deal with it?
As a retired Flight Captain I have never seen anything like that , using common sense it looks like securing straps for a back support , but if that is the case they would have been loaded on first and everything fitted by the Cabin Staff if this is not the case , it is not part of the aircraft and therefore illegal . I would push the Call Button and quietly ask him or her , you don't want to embarrass yourself . If everyone is still boarding they may not be able to get to you as they are busy with boarding duties . The wouls usually be a staff member at the rear of the aircraft supervising people who may require assistance , so you could if it does not cause congestion go back and see them , remember when you are trying to get back to your seat you may cause inconvenience to others and the passageways are narrow in economy and by your seat number , you will know how far back you have to go and return to your seat and then YOU become a nuisance . Might be easier if you wait until the seat belt sign is off and call the Cabin Staff . Please remember , if it is a problem not being able to be resolved by the cabing staff or the Pursar , then you wil see ME comming down the aisle and I will either resolve it , land at the next airport , then causing delays for those with connecting flights and I use that only when it is serious , or , the will be an Airport Security person there at the gate to secort you to an interview room and an official complaint from me will have been made which could affect you on later flights , like getting the last seat at the rear every time he or she flyies , and we do share this kind of information with all our colleagues , so changing airlines won't help . Happy Landings .

Reactions: terri and Ricci

View attachment 10141

I would ask them to unbuckle it so I can get my table down. If not then you do it or ask cabin crew to do it. Why cannot people ask anymore, isn't that why we can talk?

Reactions: Rosalie30 and Ricci
In the time it took to take the photo and post it to social media they could have had a quiet conversation with the person in front of them, explained the problem and had it resolved. Why is that so difficult yet posting a problem so easy? ;) :rolleyes: :unsure:

View attachment 10141

Grab the Cabin crew, not literally, one of the usually very friendly guys and am sure problem is solved 😀.

Reactions: Ricci