Travel Insurance Problems

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member @Doctor Alan.

I have recently returned from a lovely holiday to the UK travelling from Brisbane to Sydney, then to Singapore and Copenhagen before arrival at London Heathrow.

On the way back, we stopped for a couple of nights in Singapore, then another 4 nights in Mascot, not far from Sydney Airport. The flights were arranged through a major travel agent, and we travelled Premium Economy on all international legs and paid for ‘extra legroom’ in each case.

I wouldn’t normally have considered a stop in Copenhagen each way but assumed the flights were cheaper because of this. The reason for the stops on the way back was purely to try to adjust for jet lag, although Sydney had the added bonus of us being able to have a meal with both our children. Although I planned the trip and accommodation quite meticulously, there was some flexibility in accommodation.

Of course, I also arranged travel insurance. I researched this thoroughly, or so I thought, and chose an excess of $200 with the company I decided was the best value for money. It was important, for instance, to choose a company that would pay at least the excess amount required by the hire car company.

Reactions: Davmes
Sponsored
Medical expenses are not covered within your country of residence if the country has a medical system in place. In Australia there is Medicare, and the option of private health insurance.
The author mentions 'inbound cover which appears to cover....' I suggest one should read the exact wording and be aware of Exclusion clauses.