Travel expert flags ‘dangerous trend’ amid cost-of-living crisis

Whether it’s a local day trip or a much-awaited overseas excursion, the lure of travelling is hard to resist.

We hear from people around us all the time about their travel adventures. However, there is a worrying trend that a travel expert has noticed: Aussies cutting costs on their holidays.

It's no secret that the cost of living has increased significantly over the years, which of course affects how much we can spend for a break. And while some are being thrifty, others may be sacrificing safety for the sake of savings.

This ‘really dangerous trend’ was highlighted by Angus Kidman of online comparison site Finder, who said recently that their new research had revealed 'some of us are definitely putting saving money ahead of our health'.

compressed-pexels-connor-danylenko-2612113.jpeg
Do you love to travel? You might want to check this tip by a travel expert! Image: Pexels

The Finder survey—which had 1062 Australian respondents, 718 of whom had travelled in the last 12 months—found that almost half (46 per cent) had altered their travel insurance in some way to cut costs.

'The biggest worry is the 15 per cent of folks who are planning to travel internationally without insurance,' Kidman said.

'An accident or a health scare could see you tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for a repatriation flight.'

This advice might hit a nerve for those with a tighter budget, but Kidman stressed: don't go on a holiday if you can't afford travel insurance.

Moreover, even insurance policies that you can get for a cheaper rate may still not be the best option. The survey also found that eight per cent of people cancelled activities that would increase the cost of their premium, while another eight per cent lied about details on their application to get a lower rate.

'Insurers will investigate before paying out claims, and if you lie about a health condition or which countries you plan to visit, chances are you won’t be covered,' Kidman warned.

compressed-hands-holding-tickets-close-up_23-2149080808.jpeg
Travel experts say it is advisable to have international travel insurance during your getaways. Image: Freepik

In addition, 21 per cent of those surveyed said they took out the cheapest insurance option available. Kidman cautioned against this, saying that while 'cheap policies aren’t inherently bad', you should be sure to fully understand what is and isn't included within the deal you’re getting.

‘There have always been people willing to take a chance and not take out travel insurance at all,’ he explained.

‘What we’ve seen rising is folks being more cautious with their spending, and perhaps favouring a cheaper deal rather than aiming for more comprehensive coverage.’

Take this as a lesson: if you're determined to travel and money is tight, it's wise to be resourceful, but don't risk your safety in the process.

As such, Finder reminds travellers to read the fine print before signing any agreement.

Furthermore, even if the policy has comprehensive cover, a claim may be deemed invalid if you don’t act ‘responsibly’—things like having had too many drinks, not wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike, or driving while unlicensed.

On a related subject, Australians heading on cruises need to note that Medicare and private health insurance won’t cover for medical costs, even if the trip is taking place in Australian waters. To be fully insured, you need a separate domestic cruise policy or a specific international travel insurance plan.

Key Takeaways
  • A travel insurance expert has warned Australians that not ensuring adequate insurance for travel to cut costs is a 'really dangerous trend'.
  • A survey found that nearly half of respondents had altered their travel insurance to save money, while 15 per cent planned to travel internationally without any insurance.
  • The survey also revealed eight per cent of respondents had lied about details on their insurance applications to get cheaper premiums.
  • Travel comparison website Finder has urged travellers to thoroughly read their policy's fine print, cautioning that even comprehensive plans may become void if certain terms are violated, such as acting irresponsibly.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
I have only had insurance once, that was for a cruise, it’s mandatory. But travelling to the U.K., never bothered. Was in hospital for three days, no charge, operation no charge and should the plane go down, I die, well, that’s how it is. Hubby accepts this, and no other family members worry about us.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
If you can't afford the appropriate travel insurance then you can't afford to travel internationally. Hear & see too many stories of Australians injured overseas and then grizzle because the Australian taxpayer doesn't pick up the tab. Boohoo, if the 'cost of living' is so out of control, then you shouldn't be whinging about travel insurance. Overseas travel is a luxury not a right.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
As soon as the dates are booked in; the next job is to insure the trip. Just think about it, you have booked a cruise for December in June, you have a car accident in November, you can't claim it on your car insurance can you.
We had a trip booked for 2020, and look what happened to that year, our insurance rang and asked us if we wanted to be paid in full for the expenses or reimbursed our cost of insurance, we decided on the latter because we knew sooner or later we would be making that particular trip. The point being that the insurance companies will do right by you, not all of them are ripoff merchants.
The travel agent got us a refund on hotel, train and car hire that had already been paid for, and now its 2024 and we are about to do the trip we've been waiting four years for.
My husband managed to fracture his scull in the US a few years back, the ambulance came and picked him up from the hotel and took him to the closest hospital, which happened to be private. After being tended to in Emergency he went to ICU and that was where he stayed until he was discharged a few weeks later. After that we had to stay at the hotel until he was given clearance to fly home.
The insurance company took care of everything, the hotel, the hospital, rescheduling of flights, the hire car, a wheel chair and assistance on every connecting flight, right down to a limo service home from the airport. And to top things off, 18 months afterward we received a bill for $US40,000 in the mail at home and when we spoke to the Insurance company, they said no problem send it all through to them and they will handle it.
So, like I said, "As soon as the dates are booked in; the next job is to insure the trip"

I have only had insurance once, that was for a cruise, it’s mandatory. But travelling to the U.K., never bothered. Was in hospital for three days, no charge, operation no charge and should the plane go down, I die, well, that’s how it is. Hubby accepts this, and no other family members worry about us.
Very stupid. If you can't afford travel insurance then you can't afford to travel.

Travel insurance should be compulsory if leaving the country. So tired of these people setting up go fund me pages. begging strangers to cover the costs of their own stupidity.

Reactions: AlanQ
Very stupid. If you can't afford travel insurance then you can't afford to travel.
Stupid you may think, but my view of life as it is, is not a life. Travelling to England yearly is my only enjoyment, and my decision to do that should be respected, and not called stupid.

Stupid you may think, but my view of life as it is, is not a life. Travelling to England yearly is my only enjoyment, and my decision to do that should be respected, and not called stupid.
Not saying you're stupid for traveling, good on you, but definitely stupid for not having travel insurance, it's not that expensive.

Whether it’s a local day trip or a much-awaited overseas excursion, the lure of travelling is hard to resist.

We hear from people around us all the time about their travel adventures. However, there is a worrying trend that a travel expert has noticed: Aussies cutting costs on their holidays.

It's no secret that the cost of living has increased significantly over the years, which of course affects how much we can spend for a break. And while some are being thrifty, others may be sacrificing safety for the sake of savings.

This ‘really dangerous trend’ was highlighted by Angus Kidman of online comparison site Finder, who said recently that their new research had revealed 'some of us are definitely putting saving money ahead of our health'.

View attachment 36353
Do you love to travel? You might want to check this tip by a travel expert! Image: Pexels

The Finder survey—which had 1062 Australian respondents, 718 of whom had travelled in the last 12 months—found that almost half (46 per cent) had altered their travel insurance in some way to cut costs.

'The biggest worry is the 15 per cent of folks who are planning to travel internationally without insurance,' Kidman said.

'An accident or a health scare could see you tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for a repatriation flight.'

This advice might hit a nerve for those with a tighter budget, but Kidman stressed: don't go on a holiday if you can't afford travel insurance.

Moreover, even insurance policies that you can get for a cheaper rate may still not be the best option. The survey also found that eight per cent of people cancelled activities that would increase the cost of their premium, while another eight per cent lied about details on their application to get a lower rate.

'Insurers will investigate before paying out claims, and if you lie about a health condition or which countries you plan to visit, chances are you won’t be covered,' Kidman warned.

View attachment 36354
Travel experts say it is advisable to have international travel insurance during your getaways. Image: Freepik

In addition, 21 per cent of those surveyed said they took out the cheapest insurance option available. Kidman cautioned against this, saying that while 'cheap policies aren’t inherently bad', you should be sure to fully understand what is and isn't included within the deal you’re getting.

‘There have always been people willing to take a chance and not take out travel insurance at all,’ he explained.

‘What we’ve seen rising is folks being more cautious with their spending, and perhaps favouring a cheaper deal rather than aiming for more comprehensive coverage.’

Take this as a lesson: if you're determined to travel and money is tight, it's wise to be resourceful, but don't risk your safety in the process.

As such, Finder reminds travellers to read the fine print before signing any agreement.

Furthermore, even if the policy has comprehensive cover, a claim may be deemed invalid if you don’t act ‘responsibly’—things like having had too many drinks, not wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike, or driving while unlicensed.

On a related subject, Australians heading on cruises need to note that Medicare and private health insurance won’t cover for medical costs, even if the trip is taking place in Australian waters. To be fully insured, you need a separate domestic cruise policy or a specific international travel insurance plan.

Key Takeaways

• A travel insurance expert has warned Australians that not ensuring adequate insurance for travel to cut costs is a 'really dangerous trend'.
  • A survey found that nearly half of respondents had altered their travel insurance to save money, while 15 per cent planned to travel internationally without any insurance.
  • The survey also revealed eight per cent of respondents had lied about details on their insurance applications to get cheaper premiums.
  • Travel comparison website Finder has urged travellers to thoroughly read their policy's fine print, cautioning that even comprehensive plans may become void if certain terms are violated, such as acting irresponsibly.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!
Travel Insurance is a waste of money, good luck getting them to cough up in the event you need to make a claim! I had to jump thru so many hoops when ash cloud forced flight cancellations from Bali a few yrs ago! Avoid using TID - i had to do an 11 page claim form & each time i sent it back to them they would not respond at all & when contacted always had an excuse to avoid paying the approx $1000 claim. In the end I wrote a review on productreviews.com.au & within an hour they paid up (all bar about $100 in phone calls i had claimed)
I hate insurance companies big time!

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Travel Insurance is a waste of money, good luck getting them to cough up in the event you need to make a claim! I had to jump thru so many hoops when ash cloud forced flight cancellations from Bali a few yrs ago! Avoid using TID - i had to do an 11 page claim form & each time i sent it back to them they would not respond at all & when contacted always had an excuse to avoid paying the approx $1000 claim. In the end I wrote a review on productreviews.com.au & within an hour they paid up (all bar about $100 in phone calls i had claimed)
I hate insurance companies big time!
I guess it depends on which insurance company you are dealing with.
I had my bag snatched in Bali about 10 years ago. I had insurance with Seniors and had no trouble at all getting compensated.