Transport for NSW under fire after sending an ‘insane’ letter to a man with Alzheimer's

Every time an unfit driver is allowed on the road, it’s not just their safety at stake but the well-being of everyone around them.

Case in point: a woman from New South Wales (NSW) recently voiced her frustration on the internet over her elderly father’s permission to continue driving, despite grappling with Alzheimer’s disease.

The 83-year-old had his driver’s license suspended for an upcoming mandatory driving test, but the unexpected twist came when he received a letter allowing him to drive without completing the required test.

‘This letter was written on the same day Dad didn’t show up for his test ... what?’ She shared on social media.

man-5819617_1280.jpg
An 83-year-old had his license suspended but received a letter allowing him to drive without taking the test. Image source: Pixabay

The woman explained that her dad ‘should not be on the road anymore’ but ‘doesn’t realise it’.

‘Every time he drives, he has bingles and scrapes and parks on the footpath,’ she added.

‘But he is passionate about cars, especially his one, and doesn’t believe any of the bingles were his fault—there is zero accountability.’

The woman and her brother had been considering taking away his keys due to their concerns, so they were thrilled upon learning about his license suspension before the test.

However, after receiving the letter, the woman said that she had received word that he had ‘got[ten] his car out of the garage and is out driving somewhere.’

‘It is insane,’ said the daughter.

‘I can’t believe how reckless and dangerous this situation is, and my brother and I may have to evoke our power of attorney to get him to stop since the manager of the licence renew[al] unit is an absolute joke.’

According to a spokesperson for Transport for NSW, the department has statutory obligations ‘to ensure all license holders are medically fit and competent to hold a driver’s license’.

Additionally, members of the public are urged to be responsible and report drivers whom they believe are no longer capable of driving safely.

NSW letter to elderly man with Alzheimers.jpeg
The woman labelled the letter as ‘reckless and dangerous’. Image source: Reddit

‘Members of the public who have a genuine concern about a person’s medical fitness or competency to safely drive a vehicle can report an unsafe driver at their nearest Service NSW centre,’ they explained.

‘The service centre manager will complete an Unsafe for Driving Report form and interview the informant to verify and investigate the details given to ensure the information has been provided in good faith.

‘The completed report is then forwarded to the Transport for NSW Licence Review Unit with recommended actions.’

In NSW, individuals with a license are required to undergo an annual medical assessment starting at the age of 75 and an on-road driving test every two years from the age of 85 to retain an unrestricted driver’s license.

Those aged 85 or older have the option to obtain a modified license, permitting them to drive within their local area.

Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed her dismay online when her 83-year-old father with Alzheimer's was allowed to continue driving, even despite his driver’s license being temporarily suspended.
  • The elderly man received a letter stating he could still drive despite not appearing for his mandatory driving test.
  • The man’s daughter and son are contemplating exercising their power of attorney to prevent their father from driving, as he often has minor car accidents and is a potential danger on the road.
  • The public also has a responsibility to report unfit drivers; annual medical assessments are required from 75 and on-road driving tests every two years from 85 to maintain an unrestricted license in NSW.
Members, what do you think can be done on both sides to ensure that no unfit drivers are allowed to drive? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Looks like he is driving a left hand drive car from the photo!!!
Really, use think there should be a disclaimer 'not actual man in story'. It's also in German, a stock photo used so there are no royalties paid for 'visual' purposes.

Surely his doctor can write a letter regarding his competency to submit to the licensing department.
The law states a doctor can only recommend, up to the appropriate authority to action. Just a lazy public servant (that's a first) that just didn't follow due diligence and recorded his non attendance, which would then generate a letter stating his licence has been suspended pending attendance etc. Hard to believe, but I don't think a letter would stop him from driving his car either way. Clearly there isn't a political party in this country that is ever going to introduce a law that requires EVERY person to be retested every year once they reach a certain age. Just imagine the A Current Affairs script writers it that was to happen. Ethel has driven for 70+ years to the local shops and now the govt wants to take her licence away because she isn't fit to drive (potentially never was).

Reactions: Macarj
I think this story is a 'beat up' it is phoney, we don't have left hand drive in Aust...were not stupid ,if you want 'beat up 'stories do it properly,i know a lot of Aussies are stupid but not everyone, some of us can read...this makes me doubt a lot of your stories....

If Dad has Alzheimer's disease, he won't even remember he doesn't have a license.
I am dismayed at the relatives for allowing him to drive. Remove the keys or lock the garage and speak to the man's doctor.
What the hell is wrong with people.

Im 80 and have been subjected to these test for the lasts
20years since a by-pass op what i object to is they need to send notices out 2 months before, owing to the fact it can take up to a month to get an appointment also remove some of the stupid questions.'

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
I am "legal" to drive but don't feel my eyesight is good enough, so surrendered my licence. I see too many older people who drive whom I feel shouldn't be allowed to and have bingles in carparks and then are ignorant that they are at fault. There has to be a better test for older people than just letting the doctor decide. Don't know, it is a complex issue. Lack of indepedence vs killing someone.

Im 80 and have been subjected to these test for the lasts
20years since a by-pass op what i object to is they need to send notices out 2 months before, owing to the fact it can take up to a month to get an appointment also remove some of the stupid questions.'
The questions are obviously there for a reason.🤔

Reactions: Ezzy and GillyH
I am "legal" to drive but don't feel my eyesight is good enough, so surrendered my licence. I see too many older people who drive whom I feel shouldn't be allowed to and have bingles in carparks and then are ignorant that they are at fault. There has to be a better test for older people than just letting the doctor decide. Don't know, it is a complex issue. Lack of indepedence vs killing someone.
I’m the same eyesight even with glasses is bad also osteo etc made my reactions so out of whack.i gave up 4 years ago.dont miss it one bit.😄

I’m the same eyesight even with glasses is bad also osteo etc made my reactions so out of whack.i gave up 4 years ago.dont miss it one bit.😄
Being responsible, I call it. But I do miss it and having to be dependent on others to get places. Yes there are taxi's but they are becoming harder and harder to get. But I would rather not have a death on my conscience.

I think this story is a 'beat up' it is phoney, we don't have left hand drive in Aust...were not stupid ,if you want 'beat up 'stories do it properly,i know a lot of Aussies are stupid but not everyone, some of us can read...this makes me doubt a lot of your stories....
The image is clearly sourced to an image library!!

Being responsible, I call it. But I do miss it and having to be dependent on others to get places. Yes there are taxi's but they are becoming harder and harder to get. But I would rather not have a death on my conscience.
Dont get uber there useless twits half of them can’t speak English they get lost even with the navigational thingy that tells them where to go.(wish I could sometimes.)😹my sis has an Uber account so she organises them for me. Give me a taxi any day.😁

Reactions: Macarj and Liz
We got together and created a plan to take my mums keys and get rid of the car as soon as her dementia took hold.
We found someone to buy the car, bought her a mobility scooter and went with her to the bingo games and community centre get togethers. She didn't really miss the car because she had an immediate alternative.
In the end, she could not handle the scooter. We were ready for that by getting the family network, and home aged care provider, organised to make sure she went to necessary appointments and was not made to sit in her home 24/7.
It's difficult when someone gets to that stage in life. The old saying, you have to be cruel to be kind, can be very relevant in this situation. Alzeimers and dementia are horrible illnesses. It is the carers lot to try to make the sad journey as painless as possible. I think we succeeded in that with mum until the day she passed.

We got together and created a plan to take my mums keys and get rid of the car as soon as her dementia took hold.
We found someone to buy the car, bought her a mobility scooter and went with her to the bingo games and community centre get togethers. She didn't really miss the car because she had an immediate alternative.
In the end, she could not handle the scooter. We were ready for that by getting the family network, and home aged care provider, organised to make sure she went to necessary appointments and was not made to sit in her home 24/7.
It's difficult when someone gets to that stage in life. The old saying, you have to be cruel to be kind, can be very relevant in this situation. Alzeimers and dementia are horrible illnesses. It is the carers lot to try to make the sad journey as painless as possible. I think we succeeded in that with mum until the day she passed.
You should be so proud of taking care of your mum like that.😍I am just reading this.😁

Thanks for that. My mum was worth it.
My wife and her sister are currently taking turns 5mths at a time looking after her mum she still has all her mental prowess but 18mths ago she just lost all mobility we don't want to put her in a home, she is 93 just as an aside she is 93 my wife is 63 my daughter is 33 and my grand daughter is 3 amazing isn't it