Transform your shower from cloudy to sparkling with this $12 cleaning secret!

Cleaning the bathroom is a chore that most of us would rather avoid, especially when it comes to tackling stubborn soap scum on shower doors.

The struggle to restore the glass to its original, crystal-clear state can be frustrating and time-consuming.

However, an unexpected supermarket product has been revealed as a game-changer in the battle against soap scum.

Finish Rinse Aid, a product typically used in dishwashers to give glassware a sparkling finish, has been hailed as a miracle cleaner for shower doors.

This surprising revelation was shared in a video tutorial by a user known as The Amateur Cleaner on social media.

20240202_083029_0000.png
A cleaning enthusiast shared a supermarket product to clean shower screens. Credit: @theamateurcleaner / TikTok

In the video, the cleaner applied the rinse aid directly to a microfibre cloth and wiped it over the shower door.

‘You can use Finish to remove soap scum on shower doors,’ she said.

The rinse aid quickly cuts through the soap scum, revealing a crystal-clear glass surface.

A 500ml bottle costs $5.75 (marked down from $11.50) at both Coles and Woolworths.

According to the product description, this is designed to make glassware shine, suggesting that any rinse aid within your budget could potentially do the trick.

(The price mentioned above was recorded on 2 February. Exact prices may vary or change without prior notice. Please visit your local Coles or Woolworths store to confirm stock availability and price.)

Online users responded and shared their own favourite ways of cleaning shower glass.

‘Magic Eraser works wonders,’ one said.

‘Mix vinegar, water and dish soap for cleaning glass door! It's the best,’ commented another.

‘Pink bathroom cleaner from Bunnings and Magic Eraser. Brand new,’ another said.

The rinse aid cleaning trick also sparked curiosity about what other surfaces the product might be effective on.

Suggestions included car headlights and mirrors.

But according to The Amateur Cleaner, the rinse aid can also be used to remove watermarks on stainless steel. For this purpose, she recommended squirting a little rinse aid on a paper towel and wiping off the marks.

You can watch the video below:

However, before you rush off to try this trick, it's important to remember always to do a patch test in a small area when trying any cleaning product on a surface it's not designed for, such as wood.

But if you want to be creative and use any products you have at home, why not try a DIY cleaning solution to clean your shower screens?

In a previous story, cleaning enthusiasts raved about a three-ingredient spray that made their shower screen look brand new in minutes. Read the story here.

So, next time you're faced with a cloudy shower door, why not give rinse aid a try? You might be surprised at the sparkling results!
Key Takeaways
  • Finish Rinse Aid has been found effective in cleaning cloudy shower glass, cutting through soap scum.
  • The product is sold for $5.75 (marked down from $11.50) for a 500ml bottle at Coles and Woolworths, but any rinse aid fitting the budget could potentially work.
  • Users on social media have shared their own tricks for cleaning shower glass, including the use of Magic Eraser and homemade mixtures.
  • The Amateur Cleaner also suggests using rinse aid to remove water marks from stainless steel, though a patch test is recommended for unconventional uses.
Have you tried this cleaning trick, or do you have another secret weapon for tackling soap scum? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Might try this but I have this amazing scrubbing device by Synoshi which I use with a bit of dishwashing liquid & shower is clean within minutes with very little effort. I use my Synoshi for cleaning all sorts of things. It certainly beats using a scrubbing brush.

Reactions: Colette 3799
Might try this but I have this amazing scrubbing device by Synoshi which I use with a bit of dishwashing liquid & shower is clean within minutes with very little effort. I use my Synoshi for cleaning all sorts of things. It certainly beats using a scrubbing brush.
Do tell, what is a synoshi? I’ve never heard of it.

Do tell, what is a synoshi? I’ve never heard of it.
This is my amazing Synoshi. It’s a very light weight battery scrubber which comes with 2 brushes & a scouring pad. It charges using a USB cable. It Japanese made & I find it does a terrific job in the bathroom and have used it on the kitchen sink & a stainless steel frypan. I did purchase a cheaper one which was useless but I really love this one. Even my husband is impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpeg
    IMG_0161.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 0
This is my amazing Synoshi. It’s a very light weight battery scrubber which comes with 2 brushes & a scouring pad. It charges using a USB cable. It Japanese made & I find it does a terrific job in the bathroom and have used it on the kitchen sink & a stainless steel frypan. I did purchase a cheaper one which was useless but I really love this one. Even my husband is impressed.
I have seen these advertised, or maybe just a similar item. I am going to get myself one as it looks like it would be good for scrubbing all sorts of things. I do have a turbo scrub which I use in the shower. I spray bath and shower cleaner, ultra brand from Coles, leave it for awhile then scrub with my turbo scrub. I find this cleans my shower very well, and the turbo scrub has a longer handle which reduces the amount of bending I need to do.

Reactions: PattiB
I have seen these advertised, or maybe just a similar item. I am going to get myself one as it looks like it would be good for scrubbing all sorts of things. I do have a turbo scrub which I use in the shower. I spray bath and shower cleaner, ultra brand from Coles, leave it for awhile then scrub with my turbo scrub. I find this cleans my shower very well, and the turbo scrub has a longer handle which reduces the amount of bending I need to do.
Anything to save strain on bending, (which is the one drawback with this one) and avoid hard scrubbing etc. Having some sort of device does help.