Tragic loss: Rugby league icon Darryl Van de Velde (72) and comedy legend Richard Lewis (76) pass away

The rugby league community and the world of entertainment are in a state of mourning following the passing of two legends: Darryl Van de Velde, a star player who represented Queensland, and Richard Lewis, a beloved comic and star of the hit HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm.

A man of many talents, Van de Velde was also a successful coach and a respected administrator.

His unexpected death at the age of 72 has sent shockwaves through the rugby league world, with tributes pouring in from all corners.

Van de Velde's influence on the game was profound. He was instrumental in guiding Billy Slater's decision to coach Queensland and served as a father figure to Broncos legend Allan Langer.

His loss is deeply felt, particularly by those who were close to him.

SDC Images (3).png
May Darryl Van de Velde and Richard Lewis rest in peace. Image source: X/@WarringtonRLFC (left), X/@TheRichardLewis, @tomrapier (right).

Ipswich Jets Chairman Steve Johnson described Van de Velde as one of rugby league's 'greatest men'.

'We are shattered,' Johnson said.

'He was so close to Allan Langer…“Alfie” would be feeling today like he has lost his father.'

'It’s a massive unexpected loss when someone of Darryl’s standing suddenly dies. We haven’t had a chance to grieve.'

Van de Velde had recently undergone his second knee replacement surgery, a procedure he was eager to complete to alleviate his pain.

Despite a recent bout of pneumonia, he was determined to proceed with the operation.

'He recently had a bad case of pneumonia, and I suggested he put the operation off, but he went ahead with it,' Johnson added.

'He had the operation (on Monday) evening, and the next morning, his wife and physio took him for a walk.'

'Darryl reported not feeling well and asked to be put back to bed, and tragically, we lost the great man.'

QRL Chairman Bruce Hatcher also spoke highly of Van de Velde, praising his character, passion for the game, and the respect he commanded within the rugby league community.

'Darryl achieved many great things and was highly respected within the rugby league community,' Hatcher said.

'It can be a tough game at the best of times, so to be able to play, coach and serve as an administrator at such a high level over many years is a testament to his character and love for the game.'

'His passion for rugby league, particularly in Queensland, was always evident in the boardroom and throughout his many travels and endeavours throughout the state.'

The Rugby League Players’ Association also expressed their condolences, acknowledging Van de Velde's significant contributions to the game.

'A close friend of the RLPA, Darryl was an incredible source of passion and determination for the game as a player, coach and administrator—particularly in his home state of Queensland.'

Van de Velde's coaching career was as illustrious as his playing days.

After leading Redcliffe to back-to-back premierships, he took his talents to England, where he coached Castleford, Huddersfield, and Warrington.

His former teams expressed their sorrow at his passing, with the Warrington Wolves and Castleford Tigers sharing heartfelt tributes on social media.

'The club is deeply saddened to hear that former Head Coach Darryl Van de Velde has passed away at the age of 72. Our thoughts are with Darryl’s loved ones at this sad time,' the Warrington Wolves said.

Meanwhile, the Castleford Tigers wrote: 'The club is saddened to hear of the passing of former Head Coach, Darryl Van De Velde at the age of 72.'

'Van De Velde coached Castleford between 1988 and 1993, accruing a marvellous win rate of 60 per cent. The thoughts from all at the club go to Darryl’s family at this time.'

Melbourne Storm also extended their deepest condolences to Van de Velde’s family, acknowledging his significant contributions to their club and their partnership with the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

'Darryl gave strong support to our club, particularly our relationship with the Sunshine Coast Falcons, where he played an integral part early on in establishing the partnership,' they said.

Darryl Van de Velde's passing is a significant loss to the rugby league community. His contributions to the sport, both on and off the field, have left an indelible mark on the game he loved. His legacy will continue to inspire future generations of rugby league players and fans.

On the other hand, the passing of comedy legend Richard Lewis at the age of 76 left a heavy blow to the world of entertainment.

His death was confirmed by Deadline and his publicist, who revealed that the cause was a heart attack.

This news comes after Lewis had openly discussed his battle with Parkinson's disease on social media, giving fans a glimpse into his challenging final years.

Richard Lewis was a titan in the world of comedy, known for his unique brand of dark humour and neurotic jokes.

He rose to fame in the 1970s, becoming a staple of the New York and Los Angeles comedy scenes.

He shared stages with other comedy legends such as Richard Belzer, Elayne Boosler, and Andy Kaufman, and was a frequent guest on late-night shows, including The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Lewis was not just a stand-up comedian; he was also a successful actor.

He is best known for his role in Curb Your Enthusiasm, where he played a fictionalised version of himself alongside Larry David.

His performance in the series was widely acclaimed, and he reprised his role for the 12th season.

Lewis also had roles in films such as Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Once Upon A Crime, and The Elevator.

In April 2023, Richard Lewis took to social media to share his health struggles with his fans.

'Three and a half years ago, I was in the middle of a tour, and then I finally ended it with a show. I said: “You know, I’m at the top of my game, after [almost] 50 years, I’m just gonna call it quits.”'

'Then, out of the blue, the s**t hit the fan. I had four surgeries back to back to back to back. It was incredible, I couldn’t believe it. It was bad luck, but it’s life, you know?'

'I had back surgery, then I had a shoulder surgery, then I had a shoulder replacement surgery and a hip replacement. So, you know, there was much where I was just focusing on [physical therapy].'

'On top of all that, two years ago, I started walking a little stiffly, I was shuffling my feet, and I went to a neurologist. [They] gave me a brain scan, and I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.'

Despite these health challenges, Lewis remained optimistic. He was grateful to have caught the disease early enough for it to progress slowly and was on the proper medications.

He stated that he was 'cool' with his situation, showing his resilience and strength in the face of adversity.

Lewis also expressed his desire to focus on writing and acting after a long career of doing stand-up comedy.

Richard Lewis was more than just a comedian and actor; he was a beacon of resilience and strength. His openness about his health struggles was a testament to his character, and his ability to find humour in the darkest of times was truly inspiring. He will be remembered not just for his contributions to comedy and acting but also for the joy he spread and the strength he showed in the face of adversity.
Key Takeaways
  • The Queensland rugby league community is mourning the unexpected death of Darryl Van de Velde, aged 72.
  • Van de Velde had an illustrious career as a player, coach, and administrator and was deeply respected in the rugby league world.
  • Several clubs and individuals within the rugby league community have expressed their condolences, reflecting on Van de Velde's impact on the game.
  • Richard Lewis, the comedian and actor known for his role in Curb Your Enthusiasm, has also died at the age of 76.
  • His death comes after a battle with Parkinson's disease, which he had discussed publicly on social media.
  • Lewis had a heart attack, which was confirmed to be the cause of his death by his publicist.
Our thoughts are with Darryl Van de Velde’s and Richard Lewis’s family, friends, colleagues, and fans during this difficult time.

May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
Again just skip the post, why say RIP then not interested. That's a little disrespectful.
VERY DISRESPECTFUL I WOULD SUGGEST.

@ Barbara V, if you make these comments all the time to get attention, you will get it; BUT YOU ARE LOOKING PRETTY FOOLISH EACH TIME YOU DO!!!