SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Trafficators

For today’s blast from the past, we have with us the image of a ‘trafficator’. A member explained, ‘All pommy built cars had an inbuilt turn signal, one each side of the car that had a light in them They were just behind the front doors.’ Of course, it’s not like we don’t have signal lights on cars today, but they certainly don’t stick out like this! Do you remember a time when cars had these? What else has changed in terms of cars and driving? Drop a comment in the comment section below!

compressed-366947511_838702830951102_5780474342907089898_n.jpeg
Image Source: Facebook/Australia Remember When.

Not that we ever needed them but ashtrays have gone out. We also liked the quarter windows in the front - great for a breeze without getting blown away using the main windows.

Reactions: Gsr and Ricki
Not only pommy cars but VW beetles until 1962 .I owned a 1956 beetle with them fitted and no seatbelts.Pulled up by police and asked why I was not wearing a seatbelt and was unaware they were not fitted and therefore not compulsory .Young pup was amazed that was the case.Dont mess with seniors.Bike helmets another one of the same and look at some of the playground equipment made us a little tougher or stupid depending on your age.I am still here but wondering if all this new rules have made it any better certainly the pollies are a damm sight more dumb now then when we were younger.

Reactions: Gsr
I remember all of the above plus running boards on the sides of vehicles wide enough to step onto properly, rego stickers on windscreen or side window that had to be scraped off and replaced with a new one every time you registered your car, what a pain it was getting some stickers off, windows that you had to physically wind up and down. I remember my dad putting his arm out the window to indicate a right turn and just turning left without having to indicate. Not having reversing lights on cars. Remember when air horns became all the rage and every young yahoo had a set in their cars, they were so loud, some were musical. In those days there were no laws stopping people from blowing their horns and boy did the yahoos like the sound of their horn.

that reminded me on my Vauxhall 1950 convertible I fitted a KLAXON horn which were illegal even then bolted it to the back of the engine next to the gearbox join but reversed it so the bugle end faced rearwards a switch under the dash and OOGAH the girls loved it.Police pulled me over but could not find the klaxon when they looked.Later told them where it was with Did you ever see a car with 2 starter motors.

Trafficators

For today’s blast from the past, we have with us the image of a ‘trafficator’. A member explained, ‘All pommy built cars had an inbuilt turn signal, one each side of the car that had a light in them They were just behind the front doors.’ Of course, it’s not like we don’t have signal lights on cars today, but they certainly don’t stick out like this! Do you remember a time when cars had these? What else has changed in terms of cars and driving? Drop a comment in the comment section below!

View attachment 27681
Image Source: Facebook/Australia Remember When.

We had a 1953 Holden. Only vacuum operated windscreen wipers. This meant that when you had your foot hard on the accelerator, the wipers went slower, as in ascending Bulli Pass in a downpour - such as the soggy South Coast can deliver. Going up the pass, the wipers almost stopped and visibility became zero. Had to stop for a few seconds every so often. Those driving distances were known to put some weight in the boot of those early Holdens to keep the tail down. Some used a sheet of lead, others used house bricks. Of course the driver had to wind down the window to make hand signals to stop or turn right. There was a 12 month waiting list for a new Holden. Depreciation after 12 months was almost zero.
In 1958 Australia made or assembled more cars than Japan.
Driving a VW Kombi was exciting when there was a cross wind blowing - the engine was over the rear wheels and so no weight up front.
In the fifties, the "give way to the right" rule applied everywhere. Sailing along the Liverpool Road - part of the Hume Highway - in a loaded truck was no fun when someone came out of a side street on your right.

Reactions: Gsr