Traffic terrors: Disability pensioner's identity crisis turns roadways into ‘fine’ mess!

Imagine going about your daily life, only to find yourself drowning in a sea of traffic fines totalling a staggering $20,000.

Now, imagine that you didn't commit any of the offences for which you've been fined.

This is the bewildering situation that a disability pensioner and part-time pizza delivery driver found himself in—a victim of what appears to be a case of identity fraud that has turned his life upside down.

Colac resident Kelvin Bellette's ordeal began with the loss of his wallet on the Mornington Peninsula in 2021.

When the wallet was returned to him, his driver's licence was missing. Since then, he has been bombarded with nearly 60 traffic infringement notices from the Mornington Peninsula and surrounding areas for offences he insists he never committed.

These include speeding and driving without a seatbelt—violations that have had a profound impact on his life and livelihood.

Screenshot 2024-07-04 110608.jpg
Victorian disability pensioner Kelvin Bellette has nearly been cleared of nearly 60 false traffic infringements totalling over $20,000. Credit: Instagram / Yahoo News Australia

The consequences were severe. According to Kelvin, ‘I lost my licence for 12 months. I couldn't do anything. I thought I was a let-down in society, but now I have a job.’

However, he has since managed to get back on his feet and is working again as a pizza delivery driver, but the shadow of false accusations continues to loom over him.

Working with a Colac law firm, Kelvin has been fighting to clear his name. Law clerk Sophie Millar has been instrumental in this battle, assisting Kelvin in rejecting each false nomination.

It's been a gruelling process, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Almost all of the fines have been cleared or are in the process of being removed.

‘We're feeling that we're on the far side of things and getting towards the end,’ Ms Millar stated.

Only two fines, totalling about $1,500, remain outstanding, requiring a court application to resolve.

Unfortunately, just when it seemed things were improving, Kelvin was hit with yet another speeding ticket, falsely nominated under his name for an offence in Heidelberg, in Northeast Melbourne.

This latest accusation came on the very day his plight was first covered by the media, suggesting that his details are still being misused.

The legal team requested a licence change to prevent future false nominations, and Fines Victoria provided a list of names of individuals who have nominated Kelvin.

However, according to Ms Millar, attempts to track down these individuals and the businesses involved have been fruitless.

There's speculation that Kelvin's details may have been circulated in Facebook black market groups or by word of mouth, as the infringements are localised to specific areas.

Despite the gravity of the situation, police have yet to investigate. Kelvin felt ‘disappointed’ with the lack of action, having visited the police twice, including once with his lawyers on January 16.

According to a Victoria Police spokesperson, they had not initiated an investigation because Mr Bellette had not filed an official report.

Once reported, police assured that an investigation would commence. Ms Millar, however, expressed her assumption that police would investigate, focusing on clearing Mr Bellette's debt.

She anticipates Mr Bellette would file a formal report to prompt police action.

Amidst the controversy surrounding false traffic fines affecting Kelvin Bellette in Victoria, where legal actions are being strategised to clear his name and prompt a police investigation, the state's drivers are experiencing a transformative shift.

A recent digital update enhanced convenience and protection on the roads, and drivers are embracing new possibilities that promise to streamline and protect their daily commute and interactions with authorities.
Key Takeaways
  • Kelvin Bellette, a Victorian disability pensioner, is nearly cleared of approximately 60 false traffic infringements, equating to over $20,000.
  • Kelvin lost his wallet, including his driver's licence, on the Mornington Peninsula in 2021, leading to numerous wrongful nominations for traffic offences.
  • Despite efforts to clear his name, he was nominated for another false infringement while working with lawyers to resolve the previous accusations.
  • He plans to make a formal complaint to prompt a police investigation into the repeated misuse of his identity for traffic offences.

What are your thoughts on Mr Bellette’s case? Do you think a digital licence would reduce cases similar to his? Let us know your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
Digital licences are a total waste of time, many businesses will NOT accept them. hiring a motor vehicle requires you to produce your physical licence, not a digital one. In the case of lost licences I believe a new licence issued with a different number and the cancellation of the stolen one would fix this problem very quickly, it's a no brainer!

Some years ago while working for a doctor, I asked a patient for his medicare card. He said he’d lost it ‘months ago’ and hadn’t bothered to report it or get a new one. I told him how valuable his medicare card would be to identity thieves, but he informed me that he didn’t believe that really happened.

Have been told by the police if you have a digital licence, you still need to have your physical licence on you. Also, each time you change or update your licence the licence No. may not change but the card number does. So really when must nominate someone the form should show both Licence No. & Card No. or even just the card no with the other details. Just like banks if you lose your card. The Account No. stays the same but the Card No. changes. So, if you lose your card, you can still access your account online or in branch but can't use card until new card is activated.

Don't expect the Rent A Cops to help out. Most of them wouldn't know if their arse was on fire. Personally I wouldn't call a Rent A Cop for help if my life depended on it.
What a stupid statement. Yes there are bad apples, as there are in every workplace.
Where would we be without those who put there own lives on the line everyday to protect us. There would be complete anarchy.
In a recent traumatic event in my life, the police had to attend.
I have nothing but praise for them, their courtesy, respect and they have even called back to see how I was faring since this time.
I have found that the majority of those who speak ill of the police have usually found themselves on the wrong side of the law themselves. Not all, but many.

Of course digital is the way to go , everyone has a phone , we guard our phone religiously , put all our cards on it , everthing , drivers license cards are a joke , bits of plastic with a not so flattering photo on it , if by chance you lose your phone , it’s useless to anyone without the code or facial recognition , we are so far behind with this , I can see why police are slow to react with investigations , it’s time consuming

Why didn't this gentleman just have this licence cancelled when he originally lost it and foregone all this hassle.
what ? and never drive again until going through a learner permit and licence test then go on a provisional for two yrs?...easier for the dept. to cancel number and reissue new number with prefix of old number

Reactions: Rob44 and Jokee
what ? and never drive again until going through a learner permit and licence test then go on a provisional for two yrs?...easier for the dept. to cancel number and reissue new number with prefix of old number
You don't have to do a driving test etc to get a new license especially when your license has been stolen

Why didn't this gentleman just have this licence cancelled when he originally lost it and foregone all this hassle.
There are a lot of reasons why you cannot simply "cancel" your lost license. If you don't have the original license, you have to jump through a million hoops to prove not only who you are and how your license has gone missing, but why you need another license. Fraud is a very real possibility for those who are that way inclined.

• Wow
Reactions: Rob44 and Iggydi
What a stupid statement. Yes there are bad apples, as there are in every workplace.
Where would we be without those who put there own lives on the line everyday to protect us. There would be complete anarchy.
In a recent traumatic event in my life, the police had to attend.
I have nothing but praise for them, their courtesy, respect and they have even called back to see how I was faring since this time.
I have found that the majority of those who speak ill of the police have usually found themselves on the wrong side of the law themselves. Not all, but many.
Same here. Bad car accident. They were excellent and checked on our welfare. Glad to live in a country where we have such excellent first responders

Shun digital. It is still in its infancy and society is still drinking mother's milk. Think about THAT. Outages and data breaches will continue until our still-suckling "grown ups" grow up and become as adept at manipulating data as are the criminal adults who are always motivated to be several steps ahead.

Reactions: Rob44 and Iggydi
I didn't have to go thru any of that BS when I had my bag snatched m
It was quite a simple procedure, report it, get a new one, never had any problems since .

Where do you live, I didn't have to do any of that.
I could make a guess, possibly NSW, such a load of BS laws with regards to cars.
Property is the worst, you can make an offer that gets accepted, but between then and finance approval you can get gazumped. What a ridiculous set up, no security for the buyer, or the seller for that matter as the purchaser can also change their mind. What a convoluted way to do business.
Here in WA you make an offer , if the seller accepts you sign an Offer and Acceptance and this is a binding contract which cannot be broken unless the purchaser doesn't get their finance.Neither person can mess the other around simply because they change their mind.
Am seriously reconsidering moving to NSW, which my son wants me to do since my husband passed.
Between the weird property set up, not to mention the cost of property and astronomical council rates, I apparently have to jump through hoops to get my car re-registered. Also nowhere near as generous pension concessions.
Sorry NSW residents, I sound like a real complainer don't I.
I'm all over the place, not sure which way to jump
Can anyone let me know if I am making a cash offer on a property do they then do a binding contract??
What in blazes has this rant got anything to do with the guy having his license stolen?

been there. I have repeatedly said lose your license and you have lost your identity. Ours were replaced with the same number hence, the fraud just kept going until we were told we could get new numbers. SO through the police forms etc we got new numbers. Guess what the fraud continued due to companies not doing the correct license checks. It was a hellish 6 months plus where i cried every morning checking our credit. The police involvement in this was useless. I got more information than they did, which was passed on to them. WHY, i do not know. This was April 2017 and in November I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma another 6 months spent crying. 2024 lymphoma decided to come back. i have stopped crying.