Tracy Grimshaw reflects on the 2013 Ellen interview that left her feeling ‘small’

Having just stepped off the A Current Affair desk after an impressive 17-year stint, Tracy Grimshaw is certainly no stranger to interviews.

However, despite her experience and expertise, the notable broadcaster recently came forward to reveal some of the details of one particular interview that she felt was designed to make her feel ‘small’.

Broadcasting veteran Tracy Grimshaw has certainly seen more than her fair share of interviews throughout her lengthy career in the television sphere.

The 62-year-old outgoing A Current Affair host recently spoke about her most memorable interviews throughout her career – and her 2013 interview with American talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was certainly up there.

‘I had to interview her on her set, in front of her live audience…and I’m an outsider and a nobody, walking on to that set,’ Tracy told reporters.

tracy1.jpg
Tracy bid her farewell to the show a couple of weeks ago. Credit: _tracy_grimshaw/Instagram

And while the interview was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Tracy admitted that the decision to host the chat on Ellen’s turf was a ‘controlling tactic’.

‘She’s certainly a control freak.’

‘It was designed to make me feel small and designed to put me in my place,’ she shared. Tracy also revealed that Ellen ‘doesn’t like’ giving a lot of interviews.

Tracy said that Ellen was pleasant during the interview, but also confirmed that Ellen’s ‘toxic workplace’ scandal would be difficult to bounce back from.

‘History won’t be as kind to Ellen.’

ellen (1).jpg
Ellen stopped doing her show in May 2021. Credit: Shutterstock

In 2020, news of the show’s ‘toxic’ work environment gained traction overnight when Kevin T. Porter – an American comedian and writer – questioned Ellen’s ‘Be Kind’ slogan. He went on to claim that she was ‘notoriously one of the meanest people alive’.

The call-out prompted thousands of others, from former staff and current employees of the show, to recount their own horrendous experiences of working with and for Ellen.

Most of them described The Ellen Show as a ‘toxic work environment with a culture of racism, fear, and intimidation’. These allegations were sensationalised in a short amount of time and destroyed Ellen’s once sterling reputation.

In September 2020, Ellen addressed the claims and pleaded to her viewers that she was ‘still the person you see on TV’.

‘I learned that things happened here that never should’ve happened,’ she said. Ellen also revealed that being known as the ‘Be Kind’ lady was a ‘tricky position to be in’, and said that she was still a ‘work in progress’.

In May 2021, more than 12 months after her reputation took a nosedive, Ellen pulled the plug on her show.

Key Takeaways

• Tracy Grimshaw reflected on her most memorable interviews throughout her career – including the world-exclusive interview she had with Ellen DeGeneres.
  • She recalled her experience to reporters, noting that interviewing on Ellen’s home turf felt like a ‘controlling tactic’ designed to make her feel small.
  • She also said that the ‘toxic workplace’ allegations against Ellen would be hard to bounce back from, and history won’t be as ‘kind’ to her.
  • In 2020, several accounts from Ellen’s employees recalled that the show had a ‘toxic workplace environment’.
What can you say about Tracy’s reflections? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
What's wrong with controlling your own life it's funny when somebody is strong minded and won't take crap people call them control freak

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
Having just stepped off the A Current Affair desk after an impressive 17-year stint, Tracy Grimshaw is certainly no stranger to interviews.

However, despite her experience and expertise, the notable broadcaster recently came forward to reveal some of the details of one particular interview that she felt was designed to make her feel ‘small’.

Broadcasting veteran Tracy Grimshaw has certainly seen more than her fair share of interviews throughout her lengthy career in the television sphere.

The 62-year-old outgoing A Current Affair host recently spoke about her most memorable interviews throughout her career – and her 2013 interview with American talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was certainly up there.

‘I had to interview her on her set, in front of her live audience…and I’m an outsider and a nobody, walking on to that set,’ Tracy told reporters.

View attachment 10649
Tracy bid her farewell to the show a couple of weeks ago. Credit: _tracy_grimshaw/Instagram

And while the interview was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Tracy admitted that the decision to host the chat on Ellen’s turf was a ‘controlling tactic’.

‘It was designed to make me feel small and designed to put me in my place,’ she shared. Tracy also revealed that Ellen ‘doesn’t like’ giving a lot of interviews.

Tracy said that Ellen was pleasant during the interview, but also confirmed that Ellen’s ‘toxic workplace’ scandal would be difficult to bounce back from.

View attachment 10650

In 2020, news of the show’s ‘toxic’ work environment gained traction overnight when Kevin T. Porter – an American comedian and writer – questioned Ellen’s ‘Be Kind’ slogan. He went on to claim that she was ‘notoriously one of the meanest people alive’.

The call-out prompted thousands of others, from former staff and current employees of the show, to recount their own horrendous experiences of working with and for Ellen.

Most of them described The Ellen Show as a ‘toxic work environment with a culture of racism, fear, and intimidation’. These allegations were sensationalised in a short amount of time and destroyed Ellen’s once sterling reputation.

In September 2020, Ellen addressed the claims and pleaded to her viewers that she was ‘still the person you see on TV’.

‘I learned that things happened here that never should’ve happened,’ she said. Ellen also revealed that being known as the ‘Be Kind’ lady was a ‘tricky position to be in’, and said that she was still a ‘work in progress’.

In May 2021, more than 12 months after her reputation took a nosedive, Ellen pulled the plug on her show.

Key Takeaways

• Tracy Grimshaw reflected on her most memorable interviews throughout her career – including the world-exclusive interview she had with Ellen DeGeneres.
  • She recalled her experience to reporters, noting that interviewing on Ellen’s home turf felt like a ‘controlling tactic’ designed to make her feel small.
  • She also said that the ‘toxic workplace’ allegations against Ellen would be hard to bounce back from, and history won’t be as ‘kind’ to her.
  • In 2020, several accounts from Ellen’s employees recalled that the show had a ‘toxic workplace environment’.
Me (IMHO) I think they are both toxic. Based purely on random observations of both of them over time

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci

View attachment 10649

View attachment 10650

Key Takeaways

ELLEN DEGENERATE is someone I never ever watch and never ever will. and no its not a spelling mistake

It's odd really, as I reckon people who are like Ellen & Oprah are extremely ambitious & driven, otherwise they wouldn't be doing that type of job. How times have changed for her. Not in a good way!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10649

View attachment 10650

Key Takeaways

Someone who tries to make others feel small have low self esteem in my opinion. The funniest comedians take the Mickey out of themselves not others 🙏🏻

View attachment 10649

View attachment 10650

Key Takeaways

Grimshaw? Small?
Turn it up! She hasn't been small since The Midday Show with David Reyne...
Is it not wonderful that you and others like you can sit in your safe anonymous little worlds and make judgements on others who have no right of reply. It is of course a sign of jealousy and your own mediocrity that makes you and all those failures to denigrate others. sad sad sad

It's odd really, as I reckon people who are like Ellen & Oprah are extremely ambitious & driven, otherwise they wouldn't be doing that type of job. How times have changed for her. Not in a good way!
yeah but wouldn't you like to be sitting on billions wallowing in your misery.

Is it not wonderful that you and others like you can sit in your safe anonymous little worlds and make judgements on others who have no right of reply. It is of course a sign of jealousy and your own mediocrity that makes you and all those failures to denigrate others. sad sad sad
Grimshaw can reply any time she likes. As can you.