Tired of throwing out overripe bananas? Here are 5 tips to help you make the most of them!

As the farmer's markets start to open up to sell budget-friendly fruits and vegetables, we tend to get a little excited about all of the fresh produce that will be available. We buy up a bunch of fruit and vegetables, intending to cook and eat them all week long. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way and we forget our produce. Before we know it, half of it has gone bad.

If you find yourself in this situation, don't beat yourself up. There are ways to make use of them even if they have gone 'bad’ by most people's standards.

If you've got overripe bananas, don't toss them! There are quite a few ways to use them, as TikTok user Nicole Modic, better known by her username @kalejunkie, demonstrates in her recent video.

Credit: TikTok/@kalejunkie

1. Banana ice cubes

One way to use overripe bananas is to freeze them. Peel the bananas then cut them into small pieces before freezing. This way, you'll always have bananas on hand for smoothies and homemade ice cream. Just be sure to chop the bananas into small bites before freezing, so they'll be easier to blend and produce a smoother result.

2. Ice cream

Speaking of homemade ice cream, that's another great way to use overripe bananas! You can make any flavour you want - chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. To make chocolate ice cream, you'll need 2 cups of frozen banana, 1/4 cup cacao, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tbsp milk of choice. Just blend or process all the ingredients until you get a consistency like ice cream.

3. Banana milk

If you're looking for something a little less adventurous, you can also just make banana milk. Blend 2 bananas, 4 cups milk of choice, 1 tsp vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Once smooth, transfer the mixture to a jar, cover, and refrigerate. Kids and adults alike love this stuff!

4. Banana milk ice cubes

Another way to use overripe bananas is to make banana milk ice cubes. Just blend 1 banana, 1 tsp vanilla, and 3 cups of milk of your choice. Once the mixture is smooth, transfer it to an ice cube tray and freeze. These banana milk ice cubes are perfect for giving your iced coffee a flavour boost - and keeping it creamy. Or you can just eat them as a fun, cold treat!

5. Chocolate chip mug cake

Last but not least, you can use overripe bananas to make a delicious banana chocolate chip mug cake. Just mash 1 banana, then add 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional), 3 tbsp flour of choice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Stir in 2 tbsp chocolate chips and 1 tbsp walnuts (optional), then microwave for 2 minutes or bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.

STuYbbzqzv8O45wlRDsK2Rn8Tkqwih4L8I-6hPQDF8XNzyXRm3mNDYADDVscAgSywZqL-1cpuS4FAy1BGPEV8j9TiDxLd4SRLdLJ1NIegPQ5LKH5pmT9_6-wnRwkvqGOkxCPd8aDibSLZwSlQQ3-Ow

Try these recipes instead of throwing away overripe bananas. Credit: HealthSite.com.

The video received positive feedback from users who were pleased with Nicole’s tips, with many saying that they are keen to try the recipes themselves.

One user wrote: ‘I did not know banana milk was a thing and it sounds wonderful!! I will be trying this!’

‘I need to try the ice cream!’ another exclaimed.

Others took the opportunity to share their ways to make use of overripe bananas.

One person suggested: ‘I also slice them in half, put a wooden spatula/stick in them, and wrap a foil around it. Few hours in the freezer and it's a banana ice-lolly.’

‘Oh, these are great ways to use up ripe bananas, other than banana bread! Those banana milk ice cubes would be yummy in a latte I bet!’ another hinted.

So next time you've got some overripe bananas, don't throw them away! Put them to good use with one of these delicious recipes.

It's a shame to let all that good food go to waste, but it does happen. After all, it can be hard to keep up with everything in our busy lives. All we can do is try to be more mindful of our produce and use it up before it has a chance to go bad next time or try to use one of these tips. Stay tuned for more ‘recycling tips’ at the SDC’s Money Saving Hacks section!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I make banana bread with very over ripped banana's, My son and daughter use over ripped banana's for smoothies
They also freeze unpeeled banana's for smoothies or I will peel the banana's and layer them in a container using baking paper between layers and freeze.

Never wasted banana's in our house

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I live rural, southern NSW
I'm heading down south in a couple of weeks to start looking at areas that we want to move to. I'm starting of at Wingdang and looking at surrounding areas . I can't wait to downsize and move out of Sydney. My daughter is looking at Lake Illawarra and my son not far from there . Any suggestions on areas to look at.
I will be making lots of visits over the next 6 months looking

Reactions: Ricci
I'm heading down south in a couple of weeks to start looking at areas that we want to move to. I'm starting of at Wingdang and looking at surrounding areas . I can't wait to downsize and move out of Sydney. My daughter is looking at Lake Illawarra and my son not far from there . Any suggestions on areas to look at.
I will be making lots of visits over the next 6 months looking
To me that's still the big smoke!! It really depends on what your preferences are, whether you want the coast or more inland and what you expect of your local area. I live on Jervis Bay and it suits me just fine. Let me know and I'll help if I can.:)

As the farmer's markets start to open up to sell budget-friendly fruits and vegetables, we tend to get a little excited about all of the fresh produce that will be available. We buy up a bunch of fruit and vegetables, intending to cook and eat them all week long. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way and we forget our produce. Before we know it, half of it has gone bad.

If you find yourself in this situation, don't beat yourself up. There are ways to make use of them even if they have gone 'bad’ by most people's standards.

If you've got overripe bananas, don't toss them! There are quite a few ways to use them, as TikTok user Nicole Modic, better known by her username @kalejunkie, demonstrates in her recent video.

Credit: TikTok/@kalejunkie

1. Banana ice cubes

One way to use overripe bananas is to freeze them. Peel the bananas then cut them into small pieces before freezing. This way, you'll always have bananas on hand for smoothies and homemade ice cream. Just be sure to chop the bananas into small bites before freezing, so they'll be easier to blend and produce a smoother result.

2. Ice cream

Speaking of homemade ice cream, that's another great way to use overripe bananas! You can make any flavour you want - chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. To make chocolate ice cream, you'll need 2 cups of frozen banana, 1/4 cup cacao, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tbsp milk of choice. Just blend or process all the ingredients until you get a consistency like ice cream.

3. Banana milk

If you're looking for something a little less adventurous, you can also just make banana milk. Blend 2 bananas, 4 cups milk of choice, 1 tsp vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Once smooth, transfer the mixture to a jar, cover, and refrigerate. Kids and adults alike love this stuff!

4. Banana milk ice cubes

Another way to use overripe bananas is to make banana milk ice cubes. Just blend 1 banana, 1 tsp vanilla, and 3 cups of milk of your choice. Once the mixture is smooth, transfer it to an ice cube tray and freeze. These banana milk ice cubes are perfect for giving your iced coffee a flavour boost - and keeping it creamy. Or you can just eat them as a fun, cold treat!

5. Chocolate chip mug cake

Last but not least, you can use overripe bananas to make a delicious banana chocolate chip mug cake. Just mash 1 banana, then add 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional), 3 tbsp flour of choice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Stir in 2 tbsp chocolate chips and 1 tbsp walnuts (optional), then microwave for 2 minutes or bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.

STuYbbzqzv8O45wlRDsK2Rn8Tkqwih4L8I-6hPQDF8XNzyXRm3mNDYADDVscAgSywZqL-1cpuS4FAy1BGPEV8j9TiDxLd4SRLdLJ1NIegPQ5LKH5pmT9_6-wnRwkvqGOkxCPd8aDibSLZwSlQQ3-Ow

Try these recipes instead of throwing away overripe bananas. Credit: HealthSite.com.

The video received positive feedback from users who were pleased with Nicole’s tips, with many saying that they are keen to try the recipes themselves.

One user wrote: ‘I did not know banana milk was a thing and it sounds wonderful!! I will be trying this!’

‘I need to try the ice cream!’ another exclaimed.

Others took the opportunity to share their ways to make use of overripe bananas.

One person suggested: ‘I also slice them in half, put a wooden spatula/stick in them, and wrap a foil around it. Few hours in the freezer and it's a banana ice-lolly.’

‘Oh, these are great ways to use up ripe bananas, other than banana bread! Those banana milk ice cubes would be yummy in a latte I bet!’ another hinted.

So next time you've got some overripe bananas, don't throw them away! Put them to good use with one of these delicious recipes.

It's a shame to let all that good food go to waste, but it does happen. After all, it can be hard to keep up with everything in our busy lives. All we can do is try to be more mindful of our produce and use it up before it has a chance to go bad next time or try to use one of these tips. Stay tuned for more ‘recycling tips’ at the SDC’s Money Saving Hacks section!

Mine dont get over ripe... I cut the stalk off half way done the stem then put them in the bottom of the fridge, The seem to keep for ever..... I had to take some greener ones back out to let them ripen some more after a week

Reactions: Ricci