Tired of stale chips and bikkies? This trick can keep them crispy for longer – and you'll love how easy it is!

When it comes to afternoon snacks (or any time of the day, really), crackers, bikkies, and wafers are all wonderful options, thanks in part to their unique flavours and, of course, their satisfying crunch.

I think we can all agree that no one would want to have stale crackers to go along with their cup of tea, would they?

There are times, though, when we just can't seem to finish a whole pack of snacks after opening them. So, how exactly do we keep them fresh and crispy so we can still enjoy them for the next few days?

A foodie from New Zealand may have figured it out—and the trick is so easy and simple that many people have trouble believing it!

C45C17B6k3ks9B8EAWkYi5mNeQndzSlgzYmIKYx2oNV888zS6Ta0SCwF8_CadkpgIFJWv0jM8ZhcDXbdUTMUrVwMBzYdAAPdFnMPvoM1_2oh_BJ1eazeawT9gIG0AYIHaMCMUZ_PGjUH-WJmziyHHUAf-el73zydRm-PTOZFjYsu7et659_PzWbqvQ

When crackers are exposed to humidity in the air, they become stale and soggy. Credit: Verywell/Alexandra Shytsman.

According to Tess Eden, who goes by the moniker Eden Vegan on social media, there is a tried and true method for preventing crackers, bikkies, and wafers from turning stale after the packet has been opened, and it's so obvious that you'll wonder why you didn't think of it sooner.

She claimed that all you have to do to keep those snacks fresh and crunchy is to place them in the fridge in their open container. That's right, that's all there is to it! Simply put them in the fridge, and they will be ready to be served the next day or two.

'If you have open crackers, chips, rice wafers or rice rounds, and if you keep them just like this in the fridge, they won't go stale,' Tess said in the clip, before placing the crackers still in their original plastic tray in the fridge.

She added that you wouldn't even need to find a Tupperware container for this trick!

The foodie's video on TikTok got a lot of attention from curious viewers, and hundreds of them wrote in the comments section to say what they thought about the trick. Some people were sceptical about whether or not it would really work, but others said they had never heard of this trick before and were excited to give it a try.

quDJuk50vw_cSRlK3EDj5Tv3ZcwCI1-BPTU6o7mbvK3pX6iusZs3NEsLzeKKF-1ECLPWHw23UzGw7NhGmLJ1J7kcJet_agetQIqMdesK2WSFsMNaZxxOu8pjlTzNJI69VZQ5fu-v7L76onUhpSTGPEpdVNO3IU_0Be-8GacYjRXV6Vf-nG3JmJfJ4Q

Tess claimed putting the crackers in the fridge would be enough to preserve their crunchiness. Credit: TikTok.

'Okay, this is mind-blowing…' said one user, while another added: 'No way! I can't wait to try this.'

'Hmmm, why don't I believe you? I will try it, though,' wrote a third.

Others came forward to say they've been doing this for some time now and can attest to its effectiveness in maintaining the freshness and crispiness of nibbles.

'When I first heard this, I thought it couldn't be right, but now I do it with everything: chippies, crackers, biscuits!' one user said. A second user agreed and even suggested, 'Chips in the freezer are better! They don't freeze and can last forever!'

Tess also recommended more tips to others who claim the method doesn't work for them, as well as to those who were concerned that the crackers would absorb 'strong odours' from other foods in the fridge.

'I keep coffee grounds in my fridge to absorb any scent (red onions, etc.), and it's fresh as a daisy,' she responded, adding: 'If it's not working in your fridge, try the freezer because your fridge may not be very cold.'

While it is true that opened crackers won't last nearly as long as unopened ones, crackers stored in ideal conditions can still keep crispy for a few weeks after being opened.

Crackers that have already been opened should be stored in the refrigerator, kitchen pantry, or cupboard to maintain their freshness, just as you would with crackers still in their original packaging.

But if you want your crackers to last as long as possible, opened or not, some containers are better than others. We’ve compiled some tips:
  • Both unopened and opened crackers will benefit from being stored in airtight Tupperware since the container will prevent the crackers from becoming soggy from moisture.
  • Opened packages of crackers can be conveniently stored in large freezer bags or Ziploc bags. Just put the crackers in the bag and press out as much air as you can before sealing.
  • If you have access to a vacuum sealer, you can preserve your crackers for an extended period by vacuum sealing them. You can also keep them fresh by vacuum sealing them in a Ziploc bag; just follow the instructions in one of our previous articles!

You read it here, folks! If you want those bikkies to stay fresh for a few more days, you should store them in the refrigerator or in a high-quality container that is airtight. We don't want them to go to waste, do we?

With that in mind, do you have a favourite bicky at the supermarket? We're on the hunt for some new favourites, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Leave a comment below and tell us!

Sponsored
A packet of bickies don't last long in my house.

I will never put anything in my fridge without covering it.

I remember Hubby has put biscuits in the fridge over night because he didn't know where to put them and they went soft

I think I will stick to my biscuit containers

I remember my grandmothers tiered biscuit tin and how they always stayed fresh

images.jpeg-62.jpg

When it comes to afternoon snacks (or any time of the day, really), crackers, bikkies, and wafers are all wonderful options, thanks in part to their unique flavours and, of course, their satisfying crunch.

I think we can all agree that no one would want to have stale crackers to go along with their cup of tea, would they?

There are times, though, when we just can't seem to finish a whole pack of snacks after opening them. So, how exactly do we keep them fresh and crispy so we can still enjoy them for the next few days?

A foodie from New Zealand may have figured it out—and the trick is so easy and simple that many people have trouble believing it!

C45C17B6k3ks9B8EAWkYi5mNeQndzSlgzYmIKYx2oNV888zS6Ta0SCwF8_CadkpgIFJWv0jM8ZhcDXbdUTMUrVwMBzYdAAPdFnMPvoM1_2oh_BJ1eazeawT9gIG0AYIHaMCMUZ_PGjUH-WJmziyHHUAf-el73zydRm-PTOZFjYsu7et659_PzWbqvQ

When crackers are exposed to humidity in the air, they become stale and soggy. Credit: Verywell/Alexandra Shytsman.

According to Tess Eden, who goes by the moniker Eden Vegan on social media, there is a tried and true method for preventing crackers, bikkies, and wafers from turning stale after the packet has been opened, and it's so obvious that you'll wonder why you didn't think of it sooner.

She claimed that all you have to do to keep those snacks fresh and crunchy is to place them in the fridge in their open container. That's right, that's all there is to it! Simply put them in the fridge, and they will be ready to be served the next day or two.

'If you have open crackers, chips, rice wafers or rice rounds, and if you keep them just like this in the fridge, they won't go stale,' Tess said in the clip, before placing the crackers still in their original plastic tray in the fridge.

She added that you wouldn't even need to find a Tupperware container for this trick!

The foodie's video on TikTok got a lot of attention from curious viewers, and hundreds of them wrote in the comments section to say what they thought about the trick. Some people were sceptical about whether or not it would really work, but others said they had never heard of this trick before and were excited to give it a try.

quDJuk50vw_cSRlK3EDj5Tv3ZcwCI1-BPTU6o7mbvK3pX6iusZs3NEsLzeKKF-1ECLPWHw23UzGw7NhGmLJ1J7kcJet_agetQIqMdesK2WSFsMNaZxxOu8pjlTzNJI69VZQ5fu-v7L76onUhpSTGPEpdVNO3IU_0Be-8GacYjRXV6Vf-nG3JmJfJ4Q

Tess claimed putting the crackers in the fridge would be enough to preserve their crunchiness. Credit: TikTok.

'Okay, this is mind-blowing…' said one user, while another added: 'No way! I can't wait to try this.'

'Hmmm, why don't I believe you? I will try it, though,' wrote a third.

Others came forward to say they've been doing this for some time now and can attest to its effectiveness in maintaining the freshness and crispiness of nibbles.

'When I first heard this, I thought it couldn't be right, but now I do it with everything: chippies, crackers, biscuits!' one user said. A second user agreed and even suggested, 'Chips in the freezer are better! They don't freeze and can last forever!'

Tess also recommended more tips to others who claim the method doesn't work for them, as well as to those who were concerned that the crackers would absorb 'strong odours' from other foods in the fridge.

'I keep coffee grounds in my fridge to absorb any scent (red onions, etc.), and it's fresh as a daisy,' she responded, adding: 'If it's not working in your fridge, try the freezer because your fridge may not be very cold.'

While it is true that opened crackers won't last nearly as long as unopened ones, crackers stored in ideal conditions can still keep crispy for a few weeks after being opened.

Crackers that have already been opened should be stored in the refrigerator, kitchen pantry, or cupboard to maintain their freshness, just as you would with crackers still in their original packaging.

But if you want your crackers to last as long as possible, opened or not, some containers are better than others. We’ve compiled some tips:
  • Both unopened and opened crackers will benefit from being stored in airtight Tupperware since the container will prevent the crackers from becoming soggy from moisture.
  • Opened packages of crackers can be conveniently stored in large freezer bags or Ziploc bags. Just put the crackers in the bag and press out as much air as you can before sealing.
  • If you have access to a vacuum sealer, you can preserve your crackers for an extended period by vacuum sealing them. You can also keep them fresh by vacuum sealing them in a Ziploc bag; just follow the instructions in one of our previous articles!

You read it here, folks! If you want those bikkies to stay fresh for a few more days, you should store them in the refrigerator or in a high-quality container that is airtight. We don't want them to go to waste, do we?

With that in mind, do you have a favourite bicky at the supermarket? We're on the hunt for some new favourites, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Leave a comment below and tell us!

For years I have been putting all left over crackers and biscuits from opened packets in resealable snack bags and storing them in the freezer. They keep for weeks and still have the freshly opened taste and texture.

I find if I do not fully seal my crackers in the fridge they lose their crisp. I do store them there if lazy in finding a container as we have pantry months.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
If they do go stale, just pop them on a tray and put in mod. oven for about 5mins. Will come up nice and crispy again, but not choccie biscuits.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Yeah, so what's new about this. Been doing this for years except I leave them in their packet and put a tie on it.

Reactions: Ricci
A packet of bickies don't last long in my house.

I will never put anything in my fridge without covering it.

I remember Hubby has put biscuits in the fridge over night because he didn't know where to put them and they went soft

I think I will stick to my biscuit containers

I remember my grandmothers tiered biscuit tin and how they always stayed fresh

View attachment 6092
Remember these too.

Reactions: Ricci