Tips from a Food Expert: How to Keep Spinach Fresh for Longer

There's something about spinach that we just can’t get enough of. Maybe it's because it's such a versatile veggie - you can use it in salads, pies, curries, pasta dishes, on pizzas... the list goes on!

Or maybe it's because spinach is just so darn good for you. It's packed full of vitamins and minerals and is a great source of iron.

Whatever the reason, we really love our spinach.

Keeping this in mind, it can get frustrating when it goes soggy — and this happens pretty quickly, just a few days after you take it home from the store.

So, if you're looking for a quick fix for this issue, then we've got news for you!

Experts from Banish, a marketplace that provides top-selling eco-friendly products, have taken to social media to share a trick on how to keep spinach fresh for up to 14 days.

In a video shared on TikTok, representatives of the company claim that you should store the spinach in a Tupperware container instead of keeping it in its bag.

It is also important to keep the leaves dry. To do this, Banish experts advise placing a dishcloth or paper towel on top of the vegetable to let it absorb the extra moisture.

Finally, put the lid back on and place the container inside the fridge.

Voila! That's how easy it is to keep the vegetable fresh for a fortnight.

'Moisture is what makes your spinach soggy and it starts to decay faster. So by adding the sponges your spinach stays dry and crisp lasting far longer. The air-tight container also helps with this.' explained Banish founder Lottie Dalziel.

The post has captured the attention of thousands of spinach enthusiasts, with many expressing their amazement at the trick.

Others also offered their own tips for keeping the spinach leaves fresh.

One user recommended: 'Even better - store it upside down, or rotate between right way up and upside down.'

'I use paper towels or serviettes that I collect from takeaways or other similar places. Works a treat,' another suggested, noting that you can substitute for paper towels if you don't have any dishcloth.

IjxERFrUlCI6ExYFdhZg_nEyvXzl-8tWQsVj3YLfWHySUjFg8F1SyRCU3N_q7Fhp5zb6RVf2NpUjK6BGFod5iKHIYYVZ9LAzZiX1JzD48-lENQ1iHzi4Ag3fTOKb609Ul5ejQXq39yZF_JJO6buFXg

Spinach can easily get soggy if you don’t store it properly. Credit: Instagram/Banish.

For those of you who are curious whether this tip can be used with other groceries, we're happy to share with you that it also works with coriander,

So, there you have it, folks! Do you know other tips for keeping vegetables fresh for longer? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too! Also, we recommend checking out this article to learn more about how to spot spoilage in fresh produce and what you can do to prevent it.

Sponsored
There's something about spinach that we just can’t get enough of. Maybe it's because it's such a versatile veggie - you can use it in salads, pies, curries, pasta dishes, on pizzas... the list goes on!

Or maybe it's because spinach is just so darn good for you. It's packed full of vitamins and minerals and is a great source of iron.

Keeping this in mind, it can get frustrating when it goes soggy — and this happens pretty quickly, just a few days after you take it home from the store.

So, if you're looking for a quick fix for this issue, then we've got news for you!

Experts from Banish, a marketplace that provides top-selling eco-friendly products, have taken to social media to share a trick on how to keep spinach fresh for up to 14 days.

In a video shared on TikTok, representatives of the company claim that you should store the spinach in a Tupperware container instead of keeping it in its bag.

It is also important to keep the leaves dry. To do this, Banish experts advise placing a dishcloth or paper towel on top of the vegetable to let it absorb the extra moisture.

'Moisture is what makes your spinach soggy and it starts to decay faster. So by adding the sponges your spinach stays dry and crisp lasting far longer. The air-tight container also helps with this.' explained Banish founder Lottie Dalziel.

The post has captured the attention of thousands of spinach enthusiasts, with many expressing their amazement at the trick.

One user recommended: 'Even better - store it upside down, or rotate between right way up and upside down.'

'I use paper towels or serviettes that I collect from takeaways or other similar places. Works a treat,' another suggested, noting that you can substitute for paper towels if you don't have any dishcloth.

IjxERFrUlCI6ExYFdhZg_nEyvXzl-8tWQsVj3YLfWHySUjFg8F1SyRCU3N_q7Fhp5zb6RVf2NpUjK6BGFod5iKHIYYVZ9LAzZiX1JzD48-lENQ1iHzi4Ag3fTOKb609Ul5ejQXq39yZF_JJO6buFXg

Spinach can easily get soggy if you don’t store it properly. Credit: Instagram/Banish.

For those of you who are curious whether this tip can be used with other groceries, we're happy to share with you that it also works with coriander,

So, there you have it, folks! Do you know other tips for keeping vegetables fresh for longer? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too! Also, we recommend checking out this article to learn more about how to spot spoilage in fresh produce and what you can do to prevent it.

Also by placing paper towel on base of container then spinach and paper towel on top then lid and refrigerate. 🤗

I only buy enough to be consumed within a couple of days that way you don't need all those storage hacks, most of which don't work

The only thing I find works is paper towel in the bottom of the container.
I love spinach but is not an actual good source of iron to get enough iron out of it you need to eat a huge plate of spinach.
We grow our own spinach so easy to do and I pick it as we need it .
Storing something for 14 days then how fresh is it? As time goes by vegies lose vitamin value as does over cooking them

I have found some bags in the supermarket called Fresh and Crisp and I use these for ALL of my fruit and vegies in the fridge. I wrap the cucumber and zucchini in a paper towel first and find they last for at least 10 days as opposed to 3-4 days in the fridge. All the other vegies will last in these bags for 12 - 14 days. (Don't know how much longer as I am able to use them by this time). I have never had to throw out a single vegie since getting these bags. They can be used at 5-6 times at least.

I use the same technique for iceberg lettuce ( that is if you can afford to buy one ! )
I 'deconstruct' the lettuce, wash the leaves and let them dry naturally. Then place the leaves in a single layer on paper towel and roll it up. The lettuce stays crisp and fresh for well over two weeks. I don't know how much longer because it is usually eaten by then. LOL
When you want lettuce you can unroll it and get one lettuce leaf at a time. Works perfectly

I'm still using my Tupperware containers after 45 yrs. the long green vegie one with the little shelf in the base. It keeps the water away from the vegetable and i empty moisture out every week. I have one for Broccoli and Cauliflower keeps for weeks. One for carrots. One for celery. Make sure celery is in with round top facing up so moisture doesn't rest in it. Celery doesn't keep as long as all other vegies. though. I wouldn't part with my vegie storers.

I have found some bags in the supermarket called Fresh and Crisp and I use these for ALL of my fruit and vegies in the fridge. I wrap the cucumber and zucchini in a paper towel first and find they last for at least 10 days as opposed to 3-4 days in the fridge. All the other vegies will last in these bags for 12 - 14 days. (Don't know how much longer as I am able to use them by this time). I have never had to throw out a single vegie since getting these bags. They can be used at 5-6 times at least.
Thank you for this tip. I will get some now. Its nice to get a recommendation from someone who has used a product,

Hi everyone. I keep my Spinach in a Tupperware oblong container with the 2 vents. On the Fridgesmart magnet I got from Tupperware years ago, it says to store Spinach with both vents open to keep the air circulating so it doesn't go slimy. It works well.16586207693704822497389132712918.jpg16586207693704822497389132712918.jpg