Tips for perfect scrambled eggs from Australian celebrity chef Dan Churchill

Scrambled eggs may look like a really simple dish, but behind the scenes, it takes serious practise to get it perfect.

Aussie celebrity chef Dan Churchill shared a video on his Instagram page revealing the “three biggest mistakes” people make when preparing the popular breakfast dish.

Pan is too hot

If you tend to cook the eggs on a super hot pan, you may want to turn the heat down a notch. Dan recommends keeping your pan at medium to high heat to “control the cooking”.

If the heat is too high, the eggs won’t cook evenly and can become chewy and dry.

Constantly stirring the eggs

The celebrity chef also recommends avoiding constantly stirring the eggs.

“You want to create layers, providing an even cooking effort, not always stirring them,” he added. “Slide the spatula towards you and tilt the pan back to allow the wet parts to fall onto the cooked surface.”

“You will have beautiful soft layers.”

Cooking to perfection in the pan

According to Dan, the third most common mistake people make is ”cooking to perfection in the pan”.

“Remember, once you take it off the heat, the eggs are still cooking with their residual heat.”

The chef suggested to get them off the pan slightly undercooked, so by the time you serve and take it to the table, they are “soft and layered” compared to “dry and over-cooked”.

H84cE-Nil6zXAz1y2-xNlgmbZeyjO5t-bTGqrk5XL2pftkHh0CUx3jcRineK9WafU8pNkKfcXfk8Mcishl9ZWke2YgNrRYfA_bK3FmP0qE26ZyHOH5Xtr8zzi2IRW8R9VSk4sxs_

The secret for perfect ‘soft and layered’ scrambled eggs is cooking on low heat. Photo from Taste.com.au.

However, Robbie Bell, chef and owner of Melbourne charcuterie City Larder, has a different opinion on how the perfect scrambled eggs are cooked.

“Scrambled eggs are simple but not often executed correctly,” he said in a recent video on TikTok.

“There is no rushing them, and constantly mixing is the key for me.”

But the one thing both chefs agree on is cooking the eggs on a gentle heat.

Even former My Kitchen Rules judge and celebrity chef Manu Feildel approves of the suggestion.

“Don’t let your pan get too hot. The eggs will cook too quickly and burn, rather than be lovely and light,” Manu said in 2019.

“Remove them from heat when the eggs are still a little wet in places. The residual heat from the pan and the eggs will finish cooking them through.”

You heard it from three professional chefs already. So for your next breakfast, surprise the family with perfect scrambled eggs first thing in the morning.

Reactions: Tervueren
Sponsored
That's Dan Churchill's opinion of how scrambled eggs should be cooked. I don't do any of those things, and I like the way I cook MY scrambled eggs.
!

Reactions: Littleboy8
My scrambled eggs taste good and only take 50 seconds of cooking time. Braek egg into a mug, whip it up with a fork, into microwave on high for 30 seconds, remove re stir briskly, back in microwave on high for 20 seconds, remove tip onto your toast .. lovely. If you embellish with a little grated cheese in with the egg slightly increase cooking time. yum and very quick.:LOL:

I have got scrambled eggs down pat and low heat is key and regular stirring but not all the time and add salt an pepper once thry are on your plate. Perfect

Sorry but no such thing as perfect in anything I say it’s like idiots who say “here’s how to cook the perfect steak” really. 🙀Each to their own way of doing things.👍
I’m still waiting for some idiot to tell us how to have the perfect orgasm🤣🤣🤣