James Matthew Najera

James Matthew Najera

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 26, 2024
Tin of buttons

448485625_8085627358164851_6864231486522704138_n.jpg
Credit: Cathy Boax / Facebook

Do you still have a tin full of buttons in your house? Who else spent hours sorting through them, probably arranging them by colour or size? Or maybe playing with them on the floor, pretending you're making a giant snake? Ahh, it's nice finding fun in simple things back in the day. Join the trip to memory lane by sharing your nostalgia-inducing finds in the comments below!

My mum had a whole collection of buttons of all colours to fit every conceivable bit of clothing. Even to fit the button up fly on a pair of men's & boy's pants of the day well b4 zippers took over.

Reactions: Nettles
My mums habit (learnt from her mother) was to remove all the buttons and zips if they had them (also lace/trim/embroidery patches) before she cut them up for cleaning rags.

Reactions: Bezz
We always had a tin of assorted buttons when I was young. I do have a small amount of buttons, but nothing like what my mother had. I was one of 5 so there was always a piece of clothing that needed a button replaced.

As sewer Mum ended with a drawer full of all sorts of buttons. It was handy when playing board games and there weren't enough tokens or the tokens had been lost we just used to raid Mums button drawer for distinct counters. My nephews who lived near mum had fun sorting and counting and making up any number of games from what was found in the drawer.

Yes, my mum had loads of buttons and zips. I've still got some of them. I love to run my hands through them. They're very tactile. Don't think my kids will want them, though.