Time to scam: Tech expert reveals scammer’s preferred time slots to dupe Aussies

As the digital age advances, so too do the tactics of those looking to take advantage of unsuspecting individuals.

Scammers are indeed everywhere, and with the looming tax season, they are working double time to spend other people's hard-earned money.

A leading telecommunication company recently shed light on the cunning strategies used by scammers.

According to Telstra's cybersecurity experts, Australians need to be particularly vigilant on Fridays and Saturdays, especially during the early hours of the morning.

These unscrupulous individuals attack at times when people are less likely to be on their guard.

Their data showed an alarming 11 per cent increase in scam activity on the days mentioned above, with a significant number of fraudulent attempts occurring between 1 am and 4 am.

compressed-pexels-cellphone.jpeg
According to reports, text messages remain the preferred method for scammers. Image Credit: Pexels/SHVETS Production

Darren Pauli, one of Telstra's cyber security experts, explained that this timing is far from random.

'Scammers try to take advantage of lapsed judgement,' Pauli said.

'They pose as real and recognisable companies or agencies and threaten everything from cancelled car registrations through to damage to your credit report, or even legal action.'

'Scammers will try to manipulate you into responding quickly before you have a chance to stop and think. By targeting you at these times, scammers maximise their chances of success, exploiting moments when potential victims are not fully alert,' he added.

Interestingly, Telstra's data also indicated a 20 per cent decrease in scam attempts on Sundays.

However, this is no reason to let down our guard, as the overall trend is an uptick in fraudulent activities.

Scamwatch's Targeting Scams Report for 2023 showed an 18.5 per cent surge in reported scams compared to the previous year.

Text messaging remains the preferred method for scammers, with over 109,000 SMS scams reported in 2023 alone.

This marked a staggering 37 per cent increase from 2022.

Nowadays, scammers use artificial intelligence (AI) software to enhance their deception.

They're using generative AI tools to craft highly personalised messages and, more worryingly, mimic Australian accents and colloquialisms in calls.

This tactic was to lower the locals' guards by sounding 'true blue', making the scam seem more legitimate and increasing its success rate.

So, what can you do to protect yourself from these digital predators? Here are some tips:
  1. Be sceptical of unsolicited calls or messages, especially if they demand immediate action or payment.
  2. Verify the contact person's identity before taking any action.
  3. Never give out personal information—passwords, bank details, or Tax File Numbers—to anyone unvetted.
  4. Keep your devices and security software up to date.
  5. Do not click any links or attachments from suspicious messages. Immediately report it to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) via Scamwatch.
By staying informed and exercising caution, you can help protect not only your hard-earned cash but also your peace of mind.

The SDC forum's Scam Watch section contains the latest schemes and tips on how to prevent scams.
Key Takeaways

• Telstra cybersecurity experts indicated that scammers target Australians the most during Fridays and Saturdays, particularly in the early mornings.
  • Scammers often pose as legitimate companies or agencies and could use threats and urgency to manipulate victims.
  • There was an 18.5 per cent increase in scam reports in Australia in 2023 compared to the previous year, with text messaging being a prevalent method for scammers.
  • Scammers now use AI technology to mimic Australian accents and create highly personalised messages in an attempt to deceive Australians.
What do you think of Telstra's findings? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Cheezil
Sponsored
I had an email this morning at 5.17am from Microsoft with a one time code. I definitely wasn't trying to log in at that time of the morning.
2fa is the way to go. Make sure to adopt it if available on any site.

• Wow
Reactions: Gsr and Cheezil
AI what an asset that is going to be said no one ever!
Also this morn's Google Chrome news tells us that NAB are introducing digi pay using stored card details in their banking app so we no longer have to hunt round to find our physical credit cards to pay for anything!
More & more ways for scammers to catch us!

Love the convenience of digital banking/buying/paying etc but starting to wonder if going bacj to paying cash for everything is perhaps still the safest way to pay/buy or go back to.
If only our pay packets still came as cash in an envelope (banks could not rob us as easily with their secret hidden charges, etc then either).

Scrolling thru my statements this morn & only just noticed a $5 "Account Keeping Fee" on 1st Feb on my Westpac savings account (my banking is all fee free supposedly, so how sneaky of them to slip that one in there - imagine the profit they have netted if they did this to every customer unnoticed- mongrels!

God help us if that cash option is stolen away from us!

Reactions: Gsr and DLHM
I had an email this morning at 5.17am from Microsoft with a one time code. I definitely wasn't trying to log in at that time of the morning.
2fa is the way to go. Make sure to adopt it if available on any site.
Leahl: to a dumb bum like me what is 2fa ?

I get a lot of sms on my mobile at odd hours of the morning. I rarely see them til I wake up as my phone is on silent at night. I just delete them after I reply with f—k off scum. Today I received a call on house phone at 9am, straight away a voice msg started on about visa, Mastercard. That’s all I heard before I hung up. My sister got an email from gio stating she was owed a refund on greenslip. She rang gio, they said they owed her $5.45, had tried to deposit to her account several times without success and needed her bank account details to check they were correct. She told them they could keep the refund as she wasn’t giving her details to anyone over the phone. Gio should not have her bank account details as when she pays gio she does it through an agent.

Reactions: PattiB
Who checks their phone in the early hours, let alone click on anything? If I’m awake I’ll make sure it isn’t either of my friends alarms then back to sleep. Apart from medical alarms I do nothing until after my morning coffee, then it’s delete & report.

I get a lot of sms on my mobile at odd hours of the morning. I rarely see them til I wake up as my phone is on silent at night. I just delete them after I reply with f—k off scum. Today I received a call on house phone at 9am, straight away a voice msg started on about visa, Mastercard. That’s all I heard before I hung up. My sister got an email from gio stating she was owed a refund on greenslip. She rang gio, they said they owed her $5.45, had tried to deposit to her account several times without success and needed her bank account details to check they were correct. She told them they could keep the refund as she wasn’t giving her details to anyone over the phone. Gio should not have her bank account details as when she pays gio she does it through an agent.
Probably best to not even reply to those texts, as then they know it's a valid phone number

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
I received a call from 0489909402 an hour ago from the "National Australia Bank" advising that I had a $1800 credit owing to my account. Computer generated of course!

Strangely enough, I've only had accounts with the Commonwealth and St George (now closed) banks in my whole life. Never had dealings with the NAB whatsoever.

My apologies I forgot as far s I'm concerned there's no difference between either and haven't been since the middle Seventies. Just opposite cheeks of the same arsehole with the greens and every other political hack something thing shitty in between.
True. No one makes any tough decisions anymore. They all just float along and leave a mess for the next incumbent. And then, like Peter Dutton, immediately blame the new government for all the chaos. Being in opposition is so much easier than actually running the country.