This woman's late-night shower was interrupted by an unexpected intruder

Not all intruders enter through your windows and doorways. Some may even be inside your walls or ceiling without you knowing.

And for one woman living in the southwest of Perth, this was exactly the case. She realised she wasn’t alone at her home when her late-night shower was interrupted by an unexpected guest.

A woman’s late-night shower was disrupted when she looked up and spotted a mammoth snake in the exhaust fan directly above her.

The woman recalled that when she noticed the snake she immediately contacted a professional to remove it.

snek1.JPG
The male Stimson’s python was found resting on the grating of the fan. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Paul from Mad Pauly’s Reptile Removal told reporters that the woman was ‘pretty wound up’ when he was talking to her on the phone. ‘She said, “can you please come now and get this thing now”,’ he continued.

According to the snake wrangler, he initially doubted the call. But he was surprised to discover a python nestled in the fan once he arrived.

Taking to Facebook, Paul shared a couple of photos of the python with his followers.

‘Received a call from a lovely lady late last night at 1:30 in the morning, who said she had a snake in the exhaust fan above her shower. Cheeky little perv,’ he joked before explaining that he drove over to the woman’s home only to discover the ‘nice, fat, healthy Stimson python’.

snek2.JPG
The snake was eventually caught. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Stimson pythons are characterised by their distinct pattern of large reddish-brown blotches along their body with a paler underside.

This species inhabits the largest range of any other Australian python species and are found in a wide range of arid environments, and in topographic areas such as rocky outcrops and stony ranges.

In sandy plains and dune fields, the Stimson python is likely to be found on isolated large trees, or along the margins of dry water courses, as well as on large termite mounds. Oh, and they can swim too.

They are non-venomous but, like any other snake, they can deliver a painful bite. However, it turns out that Stimson pythons make popular pets. Fancy that?

snek3.JPG
Stimson pythons are non-venomous. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Speaking of these pythons making popular pets, it was discovered that this python was actually an escaped pet named Rufus. Paul said that the owner contacted him and confirmed that Rufus belonged to him.

His owner lived about a kilometre away from the woman’s home and slithered to the shower. Paul arranged a meeting with the owner and Rufus was finally back home.

‘He did well not to get eaten or run over,’ he shared and added that Rufus’ owner was ‘very happy he was found safe and sound’.

The incident sparked a new fear among many social media users, who are now checking their own exhaust fans for any slippery surprises.

‘Oh my goodness I wouldn't be able to sleep ever again if something like that happened to me,’ one claimed.

The local woman also left a comment and thanked Paul again for the rescue. ‘He gave me a fright at stupid o’clock and there was no way I was going to sleep. Glad you were able to help grab him, Paul,’ she wrote.

‘Gee, how scary for the homeowner. That would be the worst nightmare for that to happen, the snake is massive,’ another commented.

Others found the reptile ‘pretty’ because of its markings.

‘Isn't he beautiful,’ someone declared.

Another agreed and stated: ‘What a pretty snake! Lovely colour and markings.’

‘Oh, he’s gorgeous. Looks lovely and healthy,’ a third added.

While snakes can be kept as pets, the owners would have needed to obtain a licence first from the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions. Stimson pythons are among the species that can be kept in captivity in WA, but they are required to be kept in a suitable and secure enclosure.

According to Paul, snakes are not allowed to leave the owner’s property, though he understands that ‘stuff happens’.

Stimson's Python Factsheet.jpg
Stimson pythons are non-venomous snakes. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

‘It's no different to having your dog or cat or something escape.’

However, there are some snakes that can never be kept as pets. An aged care resident had the fright of her life after an encounter with a snake inside her walk-in wardrobe – and not just any old snake, an eastern brown snake. Read more details about the creepy encounter here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Perth woman's late-night shower was interrupted when she spotted a mammoth snake in the exhaust fan above her.
  • The snake turned out to be a Stimson's python, which is not native to Perth and is usually found in arid environments.
  • The python was actually an escaped pet named Rufus, and its owner was tracked down.
  • People need a licence from The Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions in order to keep snakes as pets.
Have you ever encountered an unexpected intruder like this? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Not all intruders enter through your windows and doorways. Some may even be inside your walls or ceiling without you knowing.

And for one woman living in the southwest of Perth, this was exactly the case. She realised she wasn’t alone at her home when her late-night shower was interrupted by an unexpected guest.

A woman’s late-night shower was disrupted when she looked up and spotted a mammoth snake in the exhaust fan directly above her.

The woman recalled that when she noticed the snake she immediately contacted a professional to remove it.

View attachment 14301
The male Stimson’s python was found resting on the grating of the fan. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Paul from Mad Pauly’s Reptile Removal told reporters that the woman was ‘pretty wound up’ when he was talking to her on the phone. ‘She said, “can you please come now and get this thing now”,’ he continued.

According to the snake wrangler, he initially doubted the call. But he was surprised to discover a python nestled in the fan once he arrived.

Taking to Facebook, Paul shared a couple of photos of the python with his followers.

‘Received a call from a lovely lady late last night at 1:30 in the morning, who said she had a snake in the exhaust fan above her shower. Cheeky little perv,’ he joked before explaining that he drove over to the woman’s home only to discover the ‘nice, fat, healthy Stimson python’.

View attachment 14302
The snake was eventually caught. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Stimson pythons are characterised by their distinct pattern of large reddish-brown blotches along their body with a paler underside.

This species inhabits the largest range of any other Australian python species and are found in a wide range of arid environments, and in topographic areas such as rocky outcrops and stony ranges.

In sandy plains and dune fields, the Stimson python is likely to be found on isolated large trees, or along the margins of dry water courses, as well as on large termite mounds. Oh, and they can swim too.

They are non-venomous but, like any other snake, they can deliver a painful bite. However, it turns out that Stimson pythons make popular pets. Fancy that?

View attachment 14303
Stimson pythons are non-venomous. Credit: Mad Paulys Reptile Removal/Facebook

Speaking of these pythons making popular pets, it was discovered that this python was actually an escaped pet named Rufus. Paul said that the owner contacted him and confirmed that Rufus belonged to him.

His owner lived about a kilometre away from the woman’s home and slithered to the shower. Paul arranged a meeting with the owner and Rufus was finally back home.

‘He did well not to get eaten or run over,’ he shared and added that Rufus’ owner was ‘very happy he was found safe and sound’.

The incident sparked a new fear among many social media users, who are now checking their own exhaust fans for any slippery surprises.

‘Oh my goodness I wouldn't be able to sleep ever again if something like that happened to me,’ one claimed.

The local woman also left a comment and thanked Paul again for the rescue. ‘He gave me a fright at stupid o’clock and there was no way I was going to sleep. Glad you were able to help grab him, Paul,’ she wrote.

‘Gee, how scary for the homeowner. That would be the worst nightmare for that to happen, the snake is massive,’ another commented.

Others found the reptile ‘pretty’ because of its markings.

‘Isn't he beautiful,’ someone declared.

Another agreed and stated: ‘What a pretty snake! Lovely colour and markings.’

‘Oh, he’s gorgeous. Looks lovely and healthy,’ a third added.

While snakes can be kept as pets, the owners would have needed to obtain a licence first from the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions. Stimson pythons are among the species that can be kept in captivity in WA, but they are required to be kept in a suitable and secure enclosure.

According to Paul, snakes are not allowed to leave the owner’s property, though he understands that ‘stuff happens’.

View attachment 14304
Stimson pythons are non-venomous snakes. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

‘It's no different to having your dog or cat or something escape.’

However, there are some snakes that can never be kept as pets. An aged care resident had the fright of her life after an encounter with a snake inside her walk-in wardrobe – and not just any old snake, an eastern brown snake. Read more details about the creepy encounter here.
Key Takeaways

• A Perth woman's late-night shower was interrupted when she spotted a mammoth snake in the exhaust fan above her.
  • The snake turned out to be a Stimson's python, which is not native to Perth and is usually found in arid environments.
  • The python was actually an escaped pet named Rufus, and its owner was tracked down.
  • People need a licence from The Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions in order to keep snakes as pets.
Have you ever encountered an unexpected intruder like this? Share your stories in the comments below.
One late night I was sitting on the loo before going to bed when a gecko fell out of the exhaust fan and onto my shoulder. I don't know which of us had the biggest fright but let's just say that I was sitting in the right place 😂

A happy ending for Rufus too. He was the lucky one. I wonder did his human owner pay the catcher for his rescue at stupid o'clock? I think I would have waited to call after dawn all the same.
Ahh to be a snake rescuer.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Our first rental was a dump! One hot afternoon I was at the sink starting dinner. I felt something start to slide over my foot. When I looked down it was a brown snake. I stayed frozen while it slid off into a hole in the wall. We spent hours blocking up all the crevices and holes that we could see when my new husband got home....I knew he was a keeper then and for the next 46 years!
Yes, we encountered many snakes on our rural property. None of them were ever harmed.