This 'tiny' passport detail cost one traveller their dream Bali holiday: Don't let it be you!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love a hearty holiday just as much as the next sun-seeker, whether you fancy a quiet trip down the local coast or an international adventure across the seas.

There's just something invigorating about breaking out from your day-to-day routine and indulging yourself with some well-deserved downtime.

But imagine all your holiday excitement promptly being snuffed out over something as seemingly insignificant as a tiny watermark on your passport.

This is exactly what happened to one British woman residing in Bondi, Sydney, who had her much-awaited flight to Bali denied due to a 'tiny' speck of water on her passport.

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 3.08.30 PM.png
A British woman living in Australia is the latest traveller to be denied her flight to Bali due to the 'tiniest' water mark on her passport. Credit: Shutterstock.

Emma Dougherty meticulously planned a 10-day escape to the Indonesian paradise, and the anticipation was building as her flight week approached.

However, little did she know that her mildly damaged passport would rain on her holiday parade. A seemingly 'unnoticeable' patch of water damage at the bottom of her passport was enough to send her dreams of basking under a Balinese sun down the drain.

Since 2019, Balinese authorities have imposed a hefty fine of $7000 on airlines that permit passengers with damaged passports. As a result, we've witnessed some wanderlust-stricken globetrotters experiencing the unfortunate predicament of being denied entry at airports in Australia.

Severely disheartened and 'gutted', Emma took to social media to urge travellers to inspect their passports meticulously before setting off for their journeys. She's no stranger to travelling; ironically, her passport's 'minor' water damage had never been an issue before.

'So I've just been rejected on my flight to Bali,' the fitness enthusiast shared in her video. 'Basically, there was a tiny bit of water damage at the bottom of my passport. I didn't even notice it. I travel all the time, and it's never been mentioned to me before.'

Emma's video, which has accumulated over a million views, was a dire warning. 'Apparently, Bali airport [is] really strict, and they are known for putting people into a cell if they don't like your passport,' she added.

Although she still maintained her optimism, Emma was distraught.

'I'm just going to tell myself that everything happens for a reason, and I wasn't meant to get on the flight today,' she comforted herself while leaving a warning for her followers, reminding them to 'triple check' their passports to ensure there are 'no damage, no marks, no water, or anything' on their passport because the authorities won't let them in.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, you don't have to worry too much about normal wear and tear on your passport. However, something as small as a drop of water on your passport could mess up your travel plans.

To ensure smooth sailing, make sure all the details and photos on the personal data pages are clear and easy to read. It's also crucial that there are no signs of alteration or tampering anywhere in your passport.

If you need clarification on whether your passport is in good enough condition for travel, feel free to ask for help. You can contact the Australian Passport Information Service at 131 232 or get in touch with an Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.

Key Takeaways

• A British woman living in Australia was denied her flight to Bali due to slight water damage on her passport.
  • Balinese authorities have been enforcing a hefty fine on airlines carrying passengers with damaged passports since 2019.
  • The disappointed traveller cautioned others to thoroughly check their passports before travelling, as even the smallest damage could lead to unfortunate consequences.
  • She shared her experience in a video that has since gained over 1.3 million views, prompting viewers to be more cautious about the state of their passports.

Before you embark on your overseas adventure, make sure to grab your glasses and carefully examine every detail of your passport. You wouldn't want a tiny speck to spoil your exciting travel dreams, now would you?

We hope you found this story helpful and informative, folks! Have you got any other passport tips you'd like to share with everyone? Feel free to drop them in the comments below!

Reactions: Tamaya
Sponsored
I have a specially designed passport leather carrier to avoid any damage incidents. I wish I could post a picture of it here, but you know what I mean. 😊

Reactions: Jersey Girl
At the Seniors Discount Club, we love a hearty holiday just as much as the next sun-seeker, whether you fancy a quiet trip down the local coast or an international adventure across the seas.

There's just something invigorating about breaking out from your day-to-day routine and indulging yourself with some well-deserved downtime.

But imagine all your holiday excitement promptly being snuffed out over something as seemingly insignificant as a tiny watermark on your passport.

This is exactly what happened to one British woman residing in Bondi, Sydney, who had her much-awaited flight to Bali denied due to a 'tiny' speck of water on her passport.

View attachment 23579
A British woman living in Australia is the latest traveller to be denied her flight to Bali due to the 'tiniest' water mark on her passport. Credit: Shutterstock.

Emma Dougherty meticulously planned a 10-day escape to the Indonesian paradise, and the anticipation was building as her flight week approached.

However, little did she know that her mildly damaged passport would rain on her holiday parade. A seemingly 'unnoticeable' patch of water damage at the bottom of her passport was enough to send her dreams of basking under a Balinese sun down the drain.

Since 2019, Balinese authorities have imposed a hefty fine of $7000 on airlines that permit passengers with damaged passports. As a result, we've witnessed some wanderlust-stricken globetrotters experiencing the unfortunate predicament of being denied entry at airports in Australia.

Severely disheartened and 'gutted', Emma took to social media to urge travellers to inspect their passports meticulously before setting off for their journeys. She's no stranger to travelling; ironically, her passport's 'minor' water damage had never been an issue before.

'So I've just been rejected on my flight to Bali,' the fitness enthusiast shared in her video. 'Basically, there was a tiny bit of water damage at the bottom of my passport. I didn't even notice it. I travel all the time, and it's never been mentioned to me before.'

Emma's video, which has accumulated over a million views, was a dire warning. 'Apparently, Bali airport [is] really strict, and they are known for putting people into a cell if they don't like your passport,' she added.

Although she still maintained her optimism, Emma was distraught.

'I'm just going to tell myself that everything happens for a reason, and I wasn't meant to get on the flight today,' she comforted herself while leaving a warning for her followers, reminding them to 'triple check' their passports to ensure there are 'no damage, no marks, no water, or anything' on their passport because the authorities won't let them in.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, you don't have to worry too much about normal wear and tear on your passport. However, something as small as a drop of water on your passport could mess up your travel plans.

To ensure smooth sailing, make sure all the details and photos on the personal data pages are clear and easy to read. It's also crucial that there are no signs of alteration or tampering anywhere in your passport.

If you need clarification on whether your passport is in good enough condition for travel, feel free to ask for help. You can contact the Australian Passport Information Service at 131 232 or get in touch with an Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.

Key Takeaways

• A British woman living in Australia was denied her flight to Bali due to slight water damage on her passport.
  • Balinese authorities have been enforcing a hefty fine on airlines carrying passengers with damaged passports since 2019.
  • The disappointed traveller cautioned others to thoroughly check their passports before travelling, as even the smallest damage could lead to unfortunate consequences.
  • She shared her experience in a video that has since gained over 1.3 million views, prompting viewers to be more cautious about the state of their passports.

Before you embark on your overseas adventure, make sure to grab your glasses and carefully examine every detail of your passport. You wouldn't want a tiny speck to spoil your exciting travel dreams, now would you?

We hope you found this story helpful and informative, folks! Have you got any other passport tips you'd like to share with everyone? Feel free to drop them in the comments below!

Good advice to kept your passport maintained. As often, it's your potential "lifeline" whilst overseas. As for Bali, I'm always bemused at what they enforce and what they don't. Due to their humanitarian stance, I have no intention to travel to Indonesia. I know they won't miss me anyhow lol.

I know when I received my first passport it came with a whole list of dos and don'ts. One I do remember was to keep it dry, and that was before the days of microchips.

Reactions: Jersey Girl