This supermarket's controversial feature further sparks discussion among shoppers

As the retail world continues to evolve, supermarkets have been seeking ways to streamline the customers' shopping experience.

One of the most significant changes in recent years has been the introduction and expansion of self-checkout systems.

These systems, designed to allow customers to scan and pay for their purchases without a cashier's assistance, have been met with mixed reactions.

The latest feature to hit the self-checkout scene is causing quite a stir among shoppers.

The new feature in question is a security measure that would play back footage of customers during their self-checkout transactions.

This innovation aimed to deter theft—which has been on the rise according to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures.

The report showed a 17 per cent increase in retail theft, with a 'steady increase' in 2023.

compressed-coles checkout.jpeg
Coles continues to update their self-service checkout counters to combat theft. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

Supermarkets like Coles have already implemented this technology to combat the issue. However, it had customers divided.

Some customers appreciated the technological advancements for the sake of security and efficiency.

They saw the usage of CCTVs, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and skip scan technology as a necessary step to protect the store's assets.

These customers valued the quick and easy checkout process, especially when in a rush.

However, a significant portion of the shopping public felt uncomfortable with the level of surveillance at self-service checkouts.

Some shoppers expressed that they felt like supermarket staff rather than customers.

The debate extended beyond privacy concerns to the functionality and staffing of these self-service areas.

A mother and her autistic son shared their self-checkout experience at a Coles supermarket.

The mum shared that the process could have been more intuitive to avoid confusion and the need for further assistance.

With only one supervisor available to help with the mum and her son's issues, customers can be left waiting—which could defeat the purpose of a quick and convenient shopping trip.

The story of the mum and son's encounter with the new self-checkout feature should be a reminder for shoppers across the country.

While technology may be helpful, it is also not foolproof.

Life skills such as shopping and budgeting are essential, and self-checkouts could be a great tool.

However, whenever technology glitches out, it could also lead to frustration and a negative shopping experience.

Supermarkets face the challenge of balancing the need for security with the desire to provide a seamless customer experience.
Key Takeaways

• A mum with her child with special needs shared their experience with the new self-service checkout technology at Coles.
  • Coles' new self-checkout features include CCTV footage of customers doing their transactions, which staff could review at any time.
  • A Coles spokesperson revealed that these security measures, along with electronic article surveillance (EAS) and new skip scan technology, were placed to reduce theft.
  • According to ABS data, retail theft has been on a steady rise since last year, indicating a 17 per cent increase in related incidents.
Are you in favour of the new self-checkout features, or do you long for the days of personal interaction and less surveillance? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is forced on us .Not happy with scanning as it is confusing for the age pensioners.And it a slower process.You need to have checked outs with a human behind the register.It not right to be doing some one job for them you interactions with the person behind the register can make you start of the day more pleasant 👌👍💯

This is forced on us .Not happy with scanning as it is confusing for the age pensioners.And it a slower process.You need to have checked outs with a human behind the register.It not right to be doing some one job for them you interactions with the person behind the register can make you start of the day more pleasant 👌👍💯
We are not forced to do anything. If you don’t like self serve check outs, don’t use them. Not all pensioners are confused or need to have a chat with someone while shopping. I like self serve check outs, so do my friends. It is called CHOICE.

No I will not use self checkout. Don't get a discount or paid for doing their job.
Isn't America doing away with self checkout in stores.
Not so. Far from "doing away" (sound dastardly!) with SCO, globally, use is increasing. Customer satisfaction with speed and convenience is also increasing. While there will always be detractors, they are becoming fewer and fewer. As for security measures, who can blame retailers for implementing those, given the rapid increase of "entitled" petty theft, and steal-to-order organised crime.

Key Takeaways​

1. Market Growth: The self-checkout market is expected to grow from $5.64 billion in 2024 to $18.01 billion by 2032, at a CAGR of 15.6%[10].
  2. Adoption: 96% of grocery retailers and 77% of non-grocery retailers have deployed fixed self-checkout (SCO) systems[1].
  3. Consumer Preference: 85% of consumers perceive self-checkout as faster than traditional cashier-led checkout[4][7].
  4. Challenges: Increased risk of theft, high upfront costs, and technical issues are major concerns[6][8].
  5. Future Developments: Integration of AI and RFID technologies is expected to enhance efficiency and security[3][10].

Full Set of Conclusions​

Market Size and Growth​

The self-checkout market is experiencing rapid growth, with a projected increase from $5.64 billion in 2024 to $18.01 billion by 2032, at a CAGR of 15.6%[10]. This growth is driven by the increasing demand for automation and cloud-based self-checkout solutions in the retail sector.

Adoption and Consumer Preference​

The adoption of self-checkout systems is widespread, with 96% of grocery retailers and 77% of non-grocery retailers having deployed fixed SCO systems[1]. Consumers prefer self-checkout for its speed and convenience, with 85% perceiving it as faster than traditional cashier-led checkout[4][7].

Challenges​

Despite the benefits, self-checkout systems face several challenges, including increased risk of theft, high upfront costs, and technical issues[6][8]. The lack of human interaction and potential for errors also contribute to customer frustration.

Future Developments​

To address these challenges, retailers are investing in advanced technologies, such as AI and RFID, to enhance efficiency and security[3][10]. The integration of AI-driven solutions is expected to improve fraud detection and reduce unnecessary rescans[2].

Regional Trends​

The US is the largest self-checkout market, with supermarket chains and convenience stores driving growth[11]. Europe is also experiencing significant activity, with replacement projects and new deployments in countries like the UK, Russia, and Germany[15].

I use self checkouts as my shop is usually small. It's faster and easier. However self checkouts are feeding the theft industry as it's so easy to steal this way. There's usually only one staff member on watching 10 or more checkouts. I've gone up to use a checkout only to discover unpaid items still on it, the last user hasn't paid for what they've scanned.

Not so. Far from "doing away" (sound dastardly!) with SCO, globally, use is increasing. Customer satisfaction with speed and convenience is also increasing. While there will always be detractors, they are becoming fewer and fewer. As for security measures, who can blame retailers for implementing those, given the rapid increase of "entitled" petty theft, and steal-to-order organised crime.

Key Takeaways​

1. Market Growth: The self-checkout market is expected to grow from $5.64 billion in 2024 to $18.01 billion by 2032, at a CAGR of 15.6%[10].
  2. Adoption: 96% of grocery retailers and 77% of non-grocery retailers have deployed fixed self-checkout (SCO) systems[1].
  3. Consumer Preference: 85% of consumers perceive self-checkout as faster than traditional cashier-led checkout[4][7].
  4. Challenges: Increased risk of theft, high upfront costs, and technical issues are major concerns[6][8].
  5. Future Developments: Integration of AI and RFID technologies is expected to enhance efficiency and security[3][10].

Full Set of Conclusions​

Market Size and Growth​

The self-checkout market is experiencing rapid growth, with a projected increase from $5.64 billion in 2024 to $18.01 billion by 2032, at a CAGR of 15.6%[10]. This growth is driven by the increasing demand for automation and cloud-based self-checkout solutions in the retail sector.

Adoption and Consumer Preference​

The adoption of self-checkout systems is widespread, with 96% of grocery retailers and 77% of non-grocery retailers having deployed fixed SCO systems[1]. Consumers prefer self-checkout for its speed and convenience, with 85% perceiving it as faster than traditional cashier-led checkout[4][7].

Challenges​

Despite the benefits, self-checkout systems face several challenges, including increased risk of theft, high upfront costs, and technical issues[6][8]. The lack of human interaction and potential for errors also contribute to customer frustration.

Future Developments​

To address these challenges, retailers are investing in advanced technologies, such as AI and RFID, to enhance efficiency and security[3][10]. The integration of AI-driven solutions is expected to improve fraud detection and reduce unnecessary rescans[2].

Regional Trends​

The US is the largest self-checkout market, with supermarket chains and convenience stores driving growth[11]. Europe is also experiencing significant activity, with replacement projects and new deployments in countries like the UK, Russia, and Germany[15].
Interesting read and statistics. Not surprising. I think a lot of people just enjoy whinging.

We were going through the self serve checkout when a product didn’t scan so I called the ass over and made her aware of the problem. She managed to get it to scan but then bought up all my previous scanned items, which I found confronting and made me feel like a thief. I was uncomfortable and asked her why she did that to which she said there might have been other items you could not scan! WOW is this what shopping at Coles has become?

We were going through the self serve checkout when a product didn’t scan so I called the ass over and made her aware of the problem. She managed to get it to scan but then bought up all my previous scanned items, which I found confronting and made me feel like a thief. I was uncomfortable and asked her why she did that to which she said there might have been other items you could not scan! WOW is this what shopping at Coles has become?
Pretty shocking no wonder your typing showed up ass 🤣

I dislike using serve serve checkouts. It has been stated above that goto the checkout person if one does not like using serve serve checkout. But often there is no checkout person there. Or if there is one, there is a long queue because there is only one checkout open.
People should also have a look at how much theft is happening at self serve checkouts. I have seen people just run the item over the scanner which hasn't beeped to indicate the item has scanned, and then put the item in their bag.
Anyway, to each their own.

QUEUES DURING PEAK TIMES
One or two teller(s) in a shop during lunch/peak times is rediculas and frustrating. It happens often.
Bring back teller staff.
LOSS OF JOB
By using the self serve tills it shouts out that its ok for us to take jobs away from those who need to feed themselves and their families.
Bring back teller staff.
SURVEILLANCE
I hate that I'm being surveyed. Seeing myself on camera as I swipe my groceries is disturbing, to say the least. Its wrong, it takes away our rights to privacy.
All self-serve cameras should be removed.
Just a few of my personal gripes.

QUEUES DURING PEAK TIMES
One or two teller(s) in a shop during lunch/peak times is rediculas and frustrating. It happens often.
Bring back teller staff.
LOSS OF JOB
By using the self serve tills it shouts out that its ok for us to take jobs away from those who need to feed themselves and their families.
Bring back teller staff.
SURVEILLANCE
I hate that I'm being surveyed. Seeing myself on camera as I swipe my groceries is disturbing, to say the least. Its wrong, it takes away our rights to privacy.
All self-serve cameras should be removed.
Just a few of my personal gripes.
I hear you , personally don’t care about surveillance but have to say that I just don’t worry ax we can shout it from the rooftops and nothing will change so I save my worries for something I might be able to change

I dislike using serve serve checkouts. It has been stated above that goto the checkout person if one does not like using serve serve checkout. But often there is no checkout person there. Or if there is one, there is a long queue because there is only one checkout open.
People should also have a look at how much theft is happening at self serve checkouts. I have seen people just run the item over the scanner which hasn't beeped to indicate the item has scanned, and then put the item in their bag.
Totally agree - it is being simplistic to say - "go to a manned checkout"! We don't have a choice all the time as quite often there are no manned checkouts open. You are then faced with the choice - do I leave my trolley full of groceries and just walk out or do I suffer the ignominious option of trying to scan and pack a full trolley's worth & hopefully not make a mistake for which I could be wrongly accused of trying to steal? I was so pi--ed off last week that I went up to the customer "service" desk and requested they provide a checkout operator. To her credit the lady did get off her chair and opened up a checkout - suddenly there appeared 6 other trolleys behind mine - motto "not everyone wants to go through a self checkout".

Reactions: Iggydi and Dynamo