This single ‘very convincing’ pop-up tricks man into losing $46,800

In the digital age, where convenience and connectivity reign supreme, the darker side of the internet can sometimes rear its ugly head in the form of scams and frauds.

A recent incident involving an 83-year-old man is a stark reminder of the perils that lurk online,.

Two individuals scammed the victim out of a staggering $31,000 (approximately $AUD 46,800) by employing a deceptively simple yet effective tactic: a pop-up notification on his computer.

This pop-up claimed his device had been compromised and urged him to call a number for assistance.

shutterstock_2166973417.jpg
A pop-up notification from a man’s computer tricked him into losing $46,800. Credit: Shutterstock

The message was 'very convincing', according to the victim, who remained anonymous.

‘Something flashing on my computer screen that said “your computer is completely locked”, and a [phone] number flashed on the screen,’ he said.

When he called the number, the person who answered claimed to be from Microsoft.

They told the 83-year-old man that something was wrong with his phone and bank account and asked him to take out $US16,000 ($AUD 24,000) in cash to fix the problem.

The old man did what they asked, and the next day, a man came to collect the money.

The day after that, they tricked him again, using the same lie, this time for $US15,000 ($AUD 22,600).

‘They said one was for buying guns and one for gambling,’ said the victim.

‘Both are for federal crimes, so before you know, [the] FBI is going to come and arrest you.’

While the victim didn't buy guns or gamble, he found the caller very convincing. To confirm what was said to him, he called his bank.

‘When I called my bank to check on that, apparently they hacked my phone and rerouted to their own personnel. They said those amounts were missing, and I had to replace it,’ the man said.

One of the scammers was seen on video at the victim’s house allegedly making a pick-up.

Police reported that the victim received another call, but by the third attempt, he had realised it was a scam. He refused to cooperate and contacted the police.

They arrived at his home and made the arrests.

The scammers, Rong Chen and ZhenSheng Yu, were arrested and arraigned on grand larceny charges.

They both pleaded not guilty.

This incident is not an isolated one.

In a previous story, a 32-year-old UBank customer fell victim to a convincing phone scam as he watched his $20,000 savings vanish after a single phone call.

The customer’s experience is a reminder of the reality that a new breed of sophisticated scams can catch people off guard. You can read more about the story here.
Tip
If you think you've been scammed, report it to the ACCC's Scamwatch here. You can also visit our Scam Watch forum for more information on the latest scams.
Key Takeaways
  • Two people have been arrested and charged with scamming an 83-year-old man in a tech support scam that cost him $AUD 46,800.
  • The scammers contacted the victim with a fake popup notification claiming his computer was locked and later convinced him to withdraw cash by pretending to be from Microsoft.
  • The victim was tricked into paying two significant sums of money, which the scammers claimed were needed to prevent alleged federal crimes he had not committed.
  • Authorities urge the public to be vigilant as this incident is part of a series of scams, with other similar cases reported recently.
Have you or someone you know encountered similar situations? How did you deal with it? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
That just sounds too ridiculous to be true
Surely nobody is that bloody stupid.
You draw thousands out of your bank and give it to a complete stranger at your door. Not once but twice. All to unlock your computer???
No, I don't believe it!!!
Totally agree with you, I know a lot of people in their eighties & they are definitely right on the ball. They would certainly call one of us “younger” ones if confronted with this. We’ve even educated our 94 yr old friend about scams & what to do. My late father used to often say that older people are always complaining about young ones doing silly stuff because seniors are so sensible, so why are so many of them so stupid.

Totally agree with you, I know a lot of people in their eighties & they are definitely right on the ball. They would certainly call one of us “younger” ones if confronted with this. We’ve even educated our 94 yr old friend about scams & what to do. My late father used to often say that older people are always complaining about young ones doing silly stuff because seniors are so sensible, so why are so many of them so stupid.
Because the flashing, loud voice and pulsating screen are really frightening when you first experience it.....and it really seems like a genuine Microsoft issue. But I certainly would NOT be giving money to anyone who arrived at my door.

Reactions: Marj53 and PattiB
You draw thousands out of your bank and give it to a complete stranger at your door. Not once but twice. All to unlock your computer???
......the darker side of the internet can sometimes rear its ugly head......

Sometimes??????? Every day, according to articles in the SDC.

1) The gentleman was 84 years old.
2) Most people are "bloody stupid" about something. It's called being a human being; it's why we fight wars and drop bombs on people. My cat has more brains and compassion than a politician, as just one example.

So easy to overcome this locking of screens. Press CTRL, ALT Delete together. Sign out. switch computer off pause a few minutes then switch computer back on.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
So easy to overcome this locking of screens. Press CTRL, ALT Delete together. Sign out. switch computer off pause a few minutes then switch computer back on.
Thanks; even after using a PC for 30 years, that is an important reminder. At least in MS-Dos and even in Win98 one could pop in a floppy, go to A drive and type 'Format C' if required. Although reinstating MS Word was a tedious process, but if one had backed up on a CD-Rom, then it wasn't too hard to re-instate past work.

Reactions: Bridgit
Had a message on computer screen " Computer is locked " & asked to ring tel. No.- supposedly from Microsoft. Didn't ring the No., but closed my computer & restarted computer few minutes later- there was no problem & the message has disappeared

Reactions: Marj53 and Bridgit
The Microsoft scam is very scary for most people and they panic - this is what the scammers rely on scaring the pants off someone about the security of their device and what they have on it - my husband had one a week ago and trust me with most people it has been very lucrative for them as it has been around for many years - they tell you not to shut down your computer as you will lose everything and to ring this number to get help. Sure the only help you will get is your bank balance hitting zero!
If you cop one of these events on your computer/mobile - drop your internet connection as fast as you can - break their connection with your device and wait 10-15 mins and re-connect your devices.
To sit back and criticise those who get caught with these scams is not helpful - as well how would you react when it happens to you with your screens flashing and alarms going off and a voice telling you over and over not to shut down.

Had a message on computer screen " Computer is locked " & asked to ring tel. No.- supposedly from Microsoft. Didn't ring the No., but closed my computer & restarted computer few minutes later- there was no problem & the message has disappeared
Don't shut your computer down - just drop the internet connection - unplug from router or turn router and modem off!

I too have had this type of scare tactics so I went straight to a computer shop that does repairs. The flashing and wording on the screen said Do not turn off. I at first tried all sorts but the computer would not turn off although I dd not think of crt alt del at the time. It was quite scary but no way was I going to follow the instructions. Let alone pay someone that amount of money .

Reactions: Marj53
ad blockers will stop these pop up ads. Paying that amount of money to have your computer unlocked is a bit extreme when you can just buy another computer for a fraction of that price.

Reactions: Marj53
The Microsoft scam is very scary for most people and they panic - this is what the scammers rely on scaring the pants off someone about the security of their device and what they have on it - my husband had one a week ago and trust me with most people it has been very lucrative for them as it has been around for many years - they tell you not to shut down your computer as you will lose everything and to ring this number to get help. Sure the only help you will get is your bank balance hitting zero!
If you cop one of these events on your computer/mobile - drop your internet connection as fast as you can - break their connection with your device and wait 10-15 mins and re-connect your devices.
To sit back and criticise those who get caught with these scams is not helpful - as well how would you react when it happens to you with your screens flashing and alarms going off and a voice telling you over and over not to shut down.
I know what I wouldn't do and that's take thousands of dollars out of my bank account and hand it to a stranger and then do the same thing again the next day.
What is taking all this money out of your account and then giving it away got to do with a problem with your computer.
Makes no sense at all. As I said I don't believe this story.
And this did happen to me a few years ago and guess what I did.
I turned it off!!
And I'm 77 and one of the most untech savvy people you could met.

Reactions: Scaveola and Marj53
He was an American, what do you expect. If all Americans are like Trump or Biden there is not much intelligence over there.

• Haha
Reactions: Miss Chris
Quite a few years ago now my screen went weird with flashing lights and big red crosses……Before I could even think, my phone rang, I picked it up and the caller said he was calling from Microsoft to tell me that they had identified my computer as having a virus that was affecting their network…flashing lights and big red crosses, I was panicked and I believed him when he said he could help me over the phone……he talked me through a process and gained control of my computer……I even laughed and exclaimed how cool it was to see my screen doing things that I didn’t initiate.. 🤦‍♀️….all the while believing he was getting rid of the virus when the flashing lights and big red crosses disappeared ….Thank goodness my son came for a visit…in 2 seconds the plug was yanked out and I was asked what are you doing, and told it was a scam to get all the information kept on the computer……I did lose some stuff including photos but it missed some personal information and banking details although I contacted the bank immediately to stop any transactions until I received new cards etc….but it could have been so much worse……..it really shook me to the core, it messed me up for days…..however I learned a big lesson that day years ago and I’m over the top about watching what I do now…

...."although I contacted the bank immediately to stop any transactions".......Don't expect to contact the ANZ at all if you use your landline. You will however hear lots of automated advice about which buttons to press on your mobile phone.