This simple cleaning trick will leave your pans looking brand new!

Have you ever tried to clean your pots and pans, only to be left with a streaky 'rainbow' mark that won't budge?

Don't worry, there's a very simple cleaning hack to restore your cookware back to its former glory, and you probably already have the ‘secret’ ingredient in your pantry!

If you take one look at your pots, pans, and particularly the sides of your kitchen utensils, you'll probably see some unsightly ‘rainbow’ marks.

Stainless steel pots (and other utensils) often contain chromium, which is a sturdy metal that helps keep kitchenware from rusting or corroding. The marks – also known as the discolouration of stainless steel – are caused by chromium’s exposure to oxygen.

steel.jpg
Stainless steel objects sometimes get rainbow marks. Credit: Kelly/Pexels

Essentially, it’s a thin, protective layer that changes colour when air and high heat are combined. And although they are safe for use, these marks can be unsightly especially if you have guests over.

So, how do you get rainbow marks off your pots and pans?

Luckily, a trusted home and kitchen care guru on TikTok has the answer for us. Known for advising her followers on organisation and cleaning tips, Stephanie Booth is the one bringing us this proven DIY method for cleaning rainbow marks off of pots and pans.

Stephanie said that the rainbow marks are purely ‘cosmetic’ in nature and won’t compromise your pots and pans' sturdiness, but if you want to get rid of them the solution is surprisingly simple: white distilled vinegar!

steel1.jpg
White vinegar can fix the discolouration. Credit: stephanieboothrealtor/TikTok

She poured in enough vinegar to cover the stains, before giving it a good whirl around to remove the rainbow marks. Then, she rinsed her pots and pans with water after using the vinegar to get rid of any remaining residue.

‘The acid in the vinegar quickly restores that stainless steel shine,’ Ms Booth wrote in her caption.

Her hack has been viewed 154,000 times and received many positive comments from impressed social media users.

‘Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this as we use a lot of these cookware,’ one said.

‘I just thought I ruined my new pots. Thank you,’ a second wrote.

Another person thanked her for the tip. One shared that lemon juice also does the trick, to which Stephanie agreed.

‘Yes! Another acid, [that’s] perfect.’ Ms Booth responded.

You can watch her video demonstration below:

When it comes to removing stains from pots and pans, you don’t have to rely just on vinegar to make them look as good as new. There are several DIY home remedies that can remove those pesky stains for good.

One popular option is tomato sauce, and that’s because the acidity from the tomatoes is effective at eliminating discolouration and attacks copper oxide (aka rust) found on metal surfaces. You can read about how to use this hack here.

Other marks, such as white stains caused by calcium deposits found in water, can also be removed using vinegar or the very popular ‘Bar Keepers Friend’ product from Woolworths.

If you find rust on your stainless steel pots or pans, you need to step away from steel wool, hard metal brushes or abrasive cleaners. This will completely ruin your pan and make it even more susceptible to corrosion. Make a thick paste of bicarb of soda with water and cover the rusted portions. With a toothbrush (or soft cloth), rub the mixture onto the rust.
Key Takeaways

• TikTok user Stephanie Booth has shared a DIY cleaning hack to get your pots and pans sparkling as if they’re brand new.
  • These ‘rainbow’ stains, or heat tints, are caused by chromium and oxygen mixing together.
  • She said that all you need is a little vinegar to remove this oxidised layer in your pots and pans.
Have you tried any of these hacks or, better yet, do you have another tip for cleaning stainless steel pans? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nah! No luck with the vinegar tip. I use food grade Essteele stainless & copper cookware powder cleaner for built up marks & grime. Kitchen shops stock it & lasts for ages.

No joy with the vinegar here. I’ll keep using gumption or barman’s friend because l get real results.
I've used gumption in the past for bath tubs. Just picked up some this week as someone said it works well on foggy headlights which I haven't tried yet, but hadn't thought about the base of posts. Will give it a try.

Reactions: Tawnyrose
I've used gumption in the past for bath tubs. Just picked up some this week as someone said it works well on foggy headlights which I haven't tried yet, but hadn't thought about the base of posts. Will give it a try.
Hadn’t heard about the foggy headlight so l will cautiously try that. I have Saucepans that l purchased 40 years ago and they look like new. If the bases of pots have been black for a while it can take something stronger to remove the build up. l drink black tea and gumption cleans my white mug too. Great on the bathtub. 👍🏻

Have you ever tried to clean your pots and pans, only to be left with a streaky 'rainbow' mark that won't budge?

Don't worry, there's a very simple cleaning hack to restore your cookware back to its former glory, and you probably already have the ‘secret’ ingredient in your pantry!

If you take one look at your pots, pans, and particularly the sides of your kitchen utensils, you'll probably see some unsightly ‘rainbow’ marks.

Stainless steel pots (and other utensils) often contain chromium, which is a sturdy metal that helps keep kitchenware from rusting or corroding. The marks – also known as the discolouration of stainless steel – are caused by chromium’s exposure to oxygen.

View attachment 11756
Stainless steel objects sometimes get rainbow marks. Credit: Kelly/Pexels

Essentially, it’s a thin, protective layer that changes colour when air and high heat are combined. And although they are safe for use, these marks can be unsightly especially if you have guests over.

So, how do you get rainbow marks off your pots and pans?

Luckily, a trusted home and kitchen care guru on TikTok has the answer for us. Known for advising her followers on organisation and cleaning tips, Stephanie Booth is the one bringing us this proven DIY method for cleaning rainbow marks off of pots and pans.

Stephanie said that the rainbow marks are purely ‘cosmetic’ in nature and won’t compromise your pots and pans' sturdiness, but if you want to get rid of them the solution is surprisingly simple: white distilled vinegar!

View attachment 11757
White vinegar can fix the discolouration. Credit: stephanieboothrealtor/TikTok

She poured in enough vinegar to cover the stains, before giving it a good whirl around to remove the rainbow marks. Then, she rinsed her pots and pans with water after using the vinegar to get rid of any remaining residue.

‘The acid in the vinegar quickly restores that stainless steel shine,’ Ms Booth wrote in her caption.

Her hack has been viewed 154,000 times and received many positive comments from impressed social media users.

‘Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this as we use a lot of these cookware,’ one said.

‘I just thought I ruined my new pots. Thank you,’ a second wrote.

Another person thanked her for the tip. One shared that lemon juice also does the trick, to which Stephanie agreed.

‘Yes! Another acid, [that’s] perfect.’ Ms Booth responded.

You can watch her video demonstration below:

When it comes to removing stains from pots and pans, you don’t have to rely just on vinegar to make them look as good as new. There are several DIY home remedies that can remove those pesky stains for good.

One popular option is tomato sauce, and that’s because the acidity from the tomatoes is effective at eliminating discolouration and attacks copper oxide (aka rust) found on metal surfaces. You can read about how to use this hack here.

Other marks, such as white stains caused by calcium deposits found in water, can also be removed using vinegar or the very popular ‘Bar Keepers Friend’ product from Woolworths.

If you find rust on your stainless steel pots or pans, you need to step away from steel wool, hard metal brushes or abrasive cleaners. This will completely ruin your pan and make it even more susceptible to corrosion. Make a thick paste of bicarb of soda with water and cover the rusted portions. With a toothbrush (or soft cloth), rub the mixture onto the rust.
Key Takeaways

• TikTok user Stephanie Booth has shared a DIY cleaning hack to get your pots and pans sparkling as if they’re brand new.
  • These ‘rainbow’ stains, or heat tints, are caused by chromium and oxygen mixing together.
  • She said that all you need is a little vinegar to remove this oxidised layer in your pots and pans.
Have you tried any of these hacks or, better yet, do you have another tip for cleaning stainless steel pans? Let us know in the comments below!

I tried vinegar but it did not work. Maybe my pans are of a different sort?. But lemon juice works wonderfully when the calcium builds up in my kettle. I buy the lemon juice in a bottle,squeeze it a few times,then leave the kettle for about 15 minutes. I then half fill with water, boil,empty and the bottom of my kettle is as new

Reactions: Tawnyrose