This shopper accidentally stole a Coles basket, and their apology is too funny to miss

Isn't it funny how we sometimes find ourselves doing things that we never intended to do? As our lives get increasingly busy, and perhaps as we get a bit older, it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life and end up making innocent blunders.

If you've ever found yourself inadvertently walking away with an item that doesn't belong to you, you're not alone!

In a hysterical confession that has gained a lot of attention online, a Coles customer accidentally took home one of the store's shopping baskets and humbly apologised.

The customer in question is 54-year-old radio personality Amanda Blair.

She blamed the theft on her menopause, jokingly referred to as ‘brain fade’, and shared on Facebook how her whole family is now calling her a ‘basket thief’.

amanda1.jpg
Amanda asked for forgiveness online. Credit: Facebook

The embarrassed mum humbly asked for forgiveness and promised the supermarket that she would return the stolen basket.

‘Dear Coles. Sorry, I came home with one of your baskets. I wasn't thinking. The CCTV footage will show me happily placing the basket of goodies in my boot and then driving away. My entire family is now calling me a “basket thief”,’ Amanda wrote in her post.

The embarrassed mum added: ‘I promise you I'm not. I'm just in the throes of menopause and experiencing regular brain fades. Forgive me. I'll return it asap; in the meantime, I'm sure you've got others you can use.’

Amanda's painfully hilarious story resonated with thousands of people, with many applauding her honesty, humour, and courage to admit her mistake.

‘Return it and get refunded,’ one joked.

amanda2.jpg
Amanda said that her family now calls her a ‘basket thief’. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

‘NOPE! That was their only basket. What are the rest of us supposed to use?’ Another quipped.

‘I can empathise, but I rename you as “The Basket Case”,’ a third jokingly added.

While others praised her honest admission to the ‘crime’.

‘You wouldn't be the first, and you won't be the last person to do that. You're a good honest person – I'm sure Coles will forgive you,’ a fellow shopper wrote.

Several people even shared similar stories and jokes about their shopping mishaps.

One woman wrote: ‘Scanned my ten odd items, put them in a bag, got sidetracked chatting to a friend and left without paying. We stood out in the front chatting for 15 minutes too. It wasn't until I got home that it dawned on me that I didn't actually pay. I returned, and they had my transaction at the service desk marked as a runner.’

Another commenter shared their DIY store mix-up: ‘I did this in Bunnings a few months ago – was too embarrassed to return it!’

A mum recalled the guilt she felt from a similar incident: ‘Return it. My toddler pinched a packet of three men's hankies at Kmart West Lakes over 40 years ago. I didn't return them and still feel bad.’

This comes after a shopper admitted to stealing a shopping basket at Coles to avoid paying for the 25c reusable paper bag.

‘Why would you pay 25 cents for a paper bag? When these baskets are free!’ The shopper insisted. You can read the rest of the story here.

While most of our readers may not have accidentally walked away with a store's basket, it just goes to show that we are all human and capable of making innocent mistakes. Even so, it's essential to do the right thing and own up to our little mishaps—whether they're humorous slip-ups or something more serious.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer accidentally took home a store's basket while picking up groceries and blamed menopause for the 'brain fade’.
  • Radio personality Amanda Blair shared her gaffe on Facebook, apologising for the incident and promising to return the stolen basket.
  • Amanda's post left thousands amused, and many applauded the mum for her honesty and humour.
  • Other people shared their shopping mishaps, including forgetting to pay for items and taking baskets home.
Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we appreciate a good-hearted story that brings a smile to our readers’ faces and lightens the load of daily life.

So, let's have a bit of fun! If you've ever unwittingly found yourself in a similar situation, feel free to share your experiences in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I went one better this week at Coles. Walked out without paying at the self serve? Couldn't fathom why the security guard (a nice young lady) stopped me outside. Took a while before the penny dropped. She kept asking for my reciept which I couldn't locate, instead of saying you haven't paid! Went back very redfaced! The lady inside knows me sort of and told me that it was alright! Very embarressing.

Attachments

• robber.jpeg
    robber.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Suzanne rose
When my kids were younger I would find things in their pram after we left the shop which I did take back.

Once after shopping at target we were having lunch at a Cafe when we looked at our receipt and found that they never charged for the coat $45 . After we ate we went back to pay and boy was it hard to pay they didn't want to admit they made the mistake.

Another time recently we got prescriptions made and realised after leaving that they didn't charge for the $42 script. They look at you like you are crazy

you men a the Coles Baskets are NOT chipped? I know when I 'attempt to take a 'Woolies' basket through, a tone goes off and a worker pursues me!!!
(I must try this with a Coles one}

Isn't it funny how we sometimes find ourselves doing things that we never intended to do? As our lives get increasingly busy, and perhaps as we get a bit older, it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life and end up making innocent blunders.

If you've ever found yourself inadvertently walking away with an item that doesn't belong to you, you're not alone!

In a hysterical confession that has gained a lot of attention online, a Coles customer accidentally took home one of the store's shopping baskets and humbly apologised.

She blamed the theft on her menopause, jokingly referred to as ‘brain fade’, and shared on Facebook how her whole family is now calling her a ‘basket thief’.

View attachment 22214

The embarrassed mum humbly asked for forgiveness and promised the supermarket that she would return the stolen basket.

‘Dear Coles. Sorry, I came home with one of your baskets. I wasn't thinking. The CCTV footage will show me happily placing the basket of goodies in my boot and then driving away. My entire family is now calling me a “basket thief”,’ Amanda wrote in her post.

The embarrassed mum added: ‘I promise you I'm not. I'm just in the throes of menopause and experiencing regular brain fades. Forgive me. I'll return it asap; in the meantime, I'm sure you've got others you can use.’

Amanda's painfully hilarious story resonated with thousands of people, with many applauding her honesty, humour, and courage to admit her mistake.

View attachment 22215
Amanda said that her family now calls her a ‘basket thief’. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

‘NOPE! That was their only basket. What are the rest of us supposed to use?’ Another quipped.

‘I can empathise, but I rename you as “The Basket Case”,’ a third jokingly added.

‘You wouldn't be the first, and you won't be the last person to do that. You're a good honest person – I'm sure Coles will forgive you,’ a fellow shopper wrote.

Several people even shared similar stories and jokes about their shopping mishaps.

One woman wrote: ‘Scanned my ten odd items, put them in a bag, got sidetracked chatting to a friend and left without paying. We stood out in the front chatting for 15 minutes too. It wasn't until I got home that it dawned on me that I didn't actually pay. I returned, and they had my transaction at the service desk marked as a runner.’

Another commenter shared their DIY store mix-up: ‘I did this in Bunnings a few months ago – was too embarrassed to return it!’

A mum recalled the guilt she felt from a similar incident: ‘Return it. My toddler pinched a packet of three men's hankies at Kmart West Lakes over 40 years ago. I didn't return them and still feel bad.’

This comes after a shopper admitted to stealing a shopping basket at Coles to avoid paying for the 25c reusable paper bag.

‘Why would you pay 25 cents for a paper bag? When these baskets are free!’ The shopper insisted. You can read the rest of the story here.

While most of our readers may not have accidentally walked away with a store's basket, it just goes to show that we are all human and capable of making innocent mistakes. Even so, it's essential to do the right thing and own up to our little mishaps—whether they're humorous slip-ups or something more serious.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer accidentally took home a store's basket while picking up groceries and blamed menopause for the 'brain fade’.
  • Radio personality Amanda Blair shared her gaffe on Facebook, apologising for the incident and promising to return the stolen basket.
  • Amanda's post left thousands amused, and many applauded the mum for her honesty and humour.
  • Other people shared their shopping mishaps, including forgetting to pay for items and taking baskets home.
Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we appreciate a good-hearted story that brings a smile to our readers’ faces and lightens the load of daily life.

So, let's have a bit of fun! If you've ever unwittingly found yourself in a similar situation, feel free to share your experiences in the comments section below!
Well you don't need to bring your own basket anymore, you've now got one for shopping. Well done my dear, you've probably shown to other people what honesty is.

View attachment 22214

View attachment 22215

Key Takeaways

Beter to be called a basket thief, than a basket case.

Many years ago I was doing a temp assignment, along with 5 other girls in a govt dept where they had a canteen.
One girl had complained about a soggy sandwich and then when it was my turn I mentioned to the girl serving me that she had given me the wrong.
She lost the plot, actually called me a liar. It got worse the Manager came over and said "we are tired of you temps and your complaints". Insisted their staff were well trained and didn't make mistakes
I said "Oh OK then, I just wanted to say she gave me change of $20 and I only have her $10 and I walked off.
The other temps burst out laughing and clapping.
They didn't have the nerve to call me back after being so rude, and I gained $10, a lot of money in those days.

Reactions: phantomrose101