This seat-spreading dispute on a flight is dividing people online – was it rude or reasonable?

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are avid bargain hunters, and we love to take advantage of cheap travel deals and head off on a holiday whenever we can. (Who doesn't, really?)

However, as budget air travel has become more and more popular in recent years, flying has become less and less comfortable – especially for those of us who are taller than average.

When flying, it's not uncommon to be crammed into a tiny seat with barely any legroom, which can make even the shortest flight an uncomfortable experience. And if you're unlucky enough to have a chatty or inconsiderate neighbour, it can easily ruin your trip before it's even begun.

Which brings us to the latest aeroplane etiquette debate that's been taking the internet by storm: is it ever okay to spread out and invade your fellow passenger's personal space on a plane?

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 8.04.05 AM.png
When seated in an aeroplane, is it ever acceptable to 'invade' the space of the person seated next to you by stretching out your legs? Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

One woman recently found herself in this very situation when she boarded a Southwest Airlines flight from Florida.

To her horror, she discovered that the man sitting next to her was so tall that his legs were spilling over into her seat! Not only was this extremely uncomfortable for her, but it also meant that she had very little legroom for the duration of the four-hour journey.

The woman, who goes by the name of Emily Kauai on Reddit, shared a photo of the man sitting with his legs splayed out, completely taking over her space.

'This was how my entire four-hour flight went today,' she captioned the post. 'I am a five-foot-eight-inch female.'

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 8.03.58 AM.png
The passenger next to Emily had his legs in her personal space. Credit: Reddit.

As you can imagine, the photo quickly went viral, sparking a heated debate about aeroplane etiquette. Some people were quick to jump to the man's defence, arguing that it's unfair to expect someone of his size to be comfortable in a standard seat.

'There simply isn't room for people with longer legs unless we do the splits like this,' wrote one user, while another added, 'It's absolutely horribly uncomfortable.'

Others agreed that it's not the man's fault that he's too big for the seat and that it's the airline's responsibility to provide more comfortable seating for all passengers – regardless of their size.

'I don't see a win for either person. It doesn't appear the guy can get his legs forward, either. This is the airline's fault, not the passengers,' wrote one user.

However, not everyone was so understanding. Many people were quick to criticise the man for being disrespectful and inconsiderate and said he should have been more aware of his surroundings.

'People like this suck. I would have said something,' wrote one user. 'To everyone saying tall people, I get that. But it's the space she paid for and not her fault. If I want more legroom, I get a seat with extra legroom or suck it up. I'm six-foot-three and don't do this.'

'This photo makes me angry on [the original poster's] behalf. People should have some basic self-awareness and courtesy,' slammed another person.
Key Takeaways

• A recent controversy on aeroplane etiquette has sparked after a woman shared a photo of a man spreading his legs and invading her leg space on a flight.
  • The debate is centred around whether or not it is acceptable to spread out on a flight, with some people arguing that there is not enough room for people of larger stature to rest their legs comfortably.
  • Other commenters have blamed the airline, saying it is the airline's fault for not giving passengers more legroom.
So, what do you think? Is it ever okay to spread out and invade your neighbour's personal space on a plane? Or should we all be more considerate of those around us? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
It is plain RUDE keep your legs and any other part of your body with in your boundary, or upgrade and get a better seat with more leg room, just because you don't want to pay for that doesn't mean you have the right to make someone else journey uncomfortable. If you are next to me I will be asking you to MOVE into your space.

Nothing there that can't be fixed by a freshly-poured black coffee "accidentally" landing in the Spreader's lap when his spreading elbows spread into your own.
With a bit of luck he'll spend the rest of the trip in the dunny trying to clean up...
I'd feel like doing that, but I couldn't. I'd do something about it though - probably ask him to give me back my space.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are avid bargain hunters, and we love to take advantage of cheap travel deals and head off on a holiday whenever we can. (Who doesn't, really?)

However, as budget air travel has become more and more popular in recent years, flying has become less and less comfortable – especially for those of us who are taller than average.

When flying, it's not uncommon to be crammed into a tiny seat with barely any legroom, which can make even the shortest flight an uncomfortable experience. And if you're unlucky enough to have a chatty or inconsiderate neighbour, it can easily ruin your trip before it's even begun.

Which brings us to the latest aeroplane etiquette debate that's been taking the internet by storm: is it ever okay to spread out and invade your fellow passenger's personal space on a plane?

View attachment 9229
When seated in an aeroplane, is it ever acceptable to 'invade' the space of the person seated next to you by stretching out your legs? Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

One woman recently found herself in this very situation when she boarded a Southwest Airlines flight from Florida.

To her horror, she discovered that the man sitting next to her was so tall that his legs were spilling over into her seat! Not only was this extremely uncomfortable for her, but it also meant that she had very little legroom for the duration of the four-hour journey.

The woman, who goes by the name of Emily Kauai on Reddit, shared a photo of the man sitting with his legs splayed out, completely taking over her space.

'This was how my entire four-hour flight went today,' she captioned the post. 'I am a five-foot-eight-inch female.'

View attachment 9230

As you can imagine, the photo quickly went viral, sparking a heated debate about aeroplane etiquette. Some people were quick to jump to the man's defence, arguing that it's unfair to expect someone of his size to be comfortable in a standard seat.

'There simply isn't room for people with longer legs unless we do the splits like this,' wrote one user, while another added, 'It's absolutely horribly uncomfortable.'

Others agreed that it's not the man's fault that he's too big for the seat and that it's the airline's responsibility to provide more comfortable seating for all passengers – regardless of their size.

'I don't see a win for either person. It doesn't appear the guy can get his legs forward, either. This is the airline's fault, not the passengers,' wrote one user.

However, not everyone was so understanding. Many people were quick to criticise the man for being disrespectful and inconsiderate and said he should have been more aware of his surroundings.

'People like this suck. I would have said something,' wrote one user. 'To everyone saying tall people, I get that. But it's the space she paid for and not her fault. If I want more legroom, I get a seat with extra legroom or suck it up. I'm six-foot-three and don't do this.'

'This photo makes me angry on [the original poster's] behalf. People should have some basic self-awareness and courtesy,' slammed another person.
Key Takeaways

• A recent controversy on aeroplane etiquette has sparked after a woman shared a photo of a man spreading his legs and invading her leg space on a flight.
  • The debate is centred around whether or not it is acceptable to spread out on a flight, with some people arguing that there is not enough room for people of larger stature to rest their legs comfortably.
  • Other commenters have blamed the airline, saying it is the airline's fault for not giving passengers more legroom.
So, what do you think? Is it ever okay to spread out and invade your neighbour's personal space on a plane? Or should we all be more considerate of those around us? Let us know in the comments below!
No it is NOT okay to take up someone else’s space. He could have booked an aisle seat which he would have had more room. We travelled once, my hubby could barely move. The woman next to him was so big she was in his space she was over part of his seat, It is NOT okay. If you are a bigger size book a correct seat to give you more space. I also hate the ones who lean their seat back into your space also. People can be so thoughtless. And the kids who stand in their seat staring over at you, parents should control them more.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

Several years ago we were on a flight and several of the rows behind us were occupied by a team of basket ball players and coaches etc. I will admit to feeling sorry for them, there were legs everywhere and they were so tall they couldn't use the head rests, looking back it just looked like a lot of moving heads. Who ever organised their flight should to get them better seating for a 7 hour long flight. I will say though that they were all very polite and apologized if we had to get passed them in the isle.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

I was on a flight home from Sweden with a layover in Singapore. As soon as we were seated the kid in front began putting the seat back as far as possible then jumping around being a total pain. After a few hours of this I had developed a nasty headache.
I asked the steward for a couple of pain tablets and when he brought them back he asked if there was anything else I needed.
I pointed at the pain in front and said a large piece of wood would be good.
He smiled and came back about a half hour later. He got down my carryon and took me to the crews cabin...all made up with a bed. The stewards then checked on me and asked if I wanted breakfast. No
They then helped me off the plane first when it landed. This kindness was so appreciated.
Just because you are strangers travelling together doesn't give anyone the right to inconvenience others. Courtesy goes a very long way.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

I had this same problem with a larger person (male) Firstly he spread his elbows across to my area of the seat. As the person near the window was small and I am as well, I just thought oh well. Then he had a feed then got his laptop out and put his headphones on and then spread his legs worse than this person in the picture shown. So I just politely asked him had he paid for half of my seat to which of course he replied no. So I just asked him to remove his body from my area and he did. It was a 4 1/2 hour Darwin flight to Brisbane. I am not discriminating against larger people however I have the same weight limit on my luggage as they do but they weigh at least double my weight. I have a larger friend who always pays for 2 seats. She said that it is not the fault of anyone else that she is obese (medical) and so for her comfort as well as the comfort of other passengers she buys the aisle and middle seat. Its called respect.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

I would have asked if he minded me resting my leg against his. Most of the discomfort comes from having to hold your leg away. Apart from legs getting hot where they touch it is definitely kinder on the inner thigh muscles.

Reactions: JayKay and Marj53

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

If the "gentleman" in the photo sat properly instead of slumping down in his seat, his legs would not be a problem. Just sit up straight. The rest of us have to.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9230

Key Takeaways

If you're tall get a door seat or an aisle seat. Don't encroach on your neighboring seats.