This revolutionary app saves dozens of lives: ‘That amazed us’

In an age where technology often seems to be more of a distraction than a lifesaver, one app is turning the tables and proving to be a genuine beacon of hope.

The GoodSAM Responder app, a remarkable innovation in emergency response, has already saved dozens of lives in New South Wales within just a few months of its launch.

This app isn't just software; it's a potential lifeline for anyone facing a sudden cardiac arrest.

Let's take the case of Steven Simpson, a name that might have been just another statistic in the heart attack records if not for the GoodSAM Responder app and an off-duty doctor's timely intervention.

On 28 June, Simpson suffered a cardiac arrest, and his son Liam, who was with him at the time, quickly called triple-0 and began administering CPR.

But what happened next was nothing short of miraculous.

FJFK2EYVcAEbeNV.jpeg
The GoodSAM Responder app has saved the lives of dozens of Aussies, including Steven Simpson. Credit: GoodSamApp / Twitter

While they were waiting for the ambulance, the GoodSAM Responder app alerted Dr Rhys Ross-Browne, an emergency doctor, to the incident.

He rushed to the scene and took over the life-saving efforts. 'Apparently, there was a knock on the door, a bloke turned up and said, “I’m a local doctor. I got a message there was a cardiac arrest. I’m here to help you”,' recounted Simpson.

‘That amazed us. I’d never heard of (the app).’

The GoodSAM Responder app is designed to bridge the critical gap between the time a triple-0 call is made and the commencement of CPR for victims of cardiac arrest.

It does this by alerting registered community members, including off-duty medical professionals, to nearby incidents.

Moreover, the app has integrated the NSW public access defibrillator registry, significantly enhancing a victim's chances of survival.

Simpson is a living testament to the app's success. Dr Ross-Browne delivered two defibrillator shocks before the ambulance arrived, and paramedics administered three more.

While Ross-Browne didn't use the app to locate a defibrillator, he knew of one at a nearby school.

‘Defibrillators are all out in the community, a lot of businesses have them, but nobody else knows they’ve got them,’ Simpson said.

'It would be massive if every one of them registered their location so when something like this happens, and they’ve got volunteers coming to help you, they also get told where the nearest defibrillators are...it would save so many more lives.’

Over 4,300 defibrillators are registered with the app, and GoodSAM volunteers have helped save 30 patients since its launch in November.

Impressively, 12 of those patients received a defibrillator shock before an ambulance arrived.

NSW Health Minister Ryan Park has been vocal about the app's potential to improve cardiac arrest survival rates.

‘It’s all well and good to have defibrillators around the community, but if people don’t know their location, they’re going to be of little help in a life and death situation,’ he said.

‘I encourage everyone who has an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) to register it online with NSW Ambulance so GoodSAM responders can see it in the app.’

You may download the GoodSAM Responder App from the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Key Takeaways
  • The GoodSAM Responder app is saving lives by alerting registered community members to nearby cardiac arrest incidents.
  • Steven Simpson survived a heart attack thanks to the app notifying an off-duty doctor who administered CPR and used a defibrillator.
  • More than 4300 defibrillators are now registered with the GoodSAM Responder app, and it has helped save 30 patients since its launch.
  • NSW Health Minister Ryan Park encouraged businesses and individuals with Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) to register them to improve cardiac arrest survival rates.
Have you used the GoodSAM Responder App or any similar app? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a wonderful service, let’s hope it saves many more lives. How great it is to have emergency trained people willing to respond to the call for assistance if they are close enough to help.

We were discussing the possiblilty of a register for defibs just this morning at our morning coffee group. Living in a small country town, one of our defibs was recently used to save a life. There is a problem that has arisen about these defibs, as there are more than one company providing them and they all seem to require differing action after use. Some require replacing completely, others require a new battery to be fitted, still others just require new pads. No-one seems able to respond to enquires about this, so the one used is now not in working order for the community.

Reactions: Ezzy
This should be incorporated into the emergency app. Having used the emergency app on occasions as I live in a senior village, I am always amazed that I have to give directions, cross roads etc to 000 as I thought this was the reason to use the App. I could also direct them to the Three Word location which is
There on the App. I will now download this App as well as we have a defribilator on-site.

Reactions: Ezzy