This Rare South Australian License Plate Sold For A Mind-Blowing Price - Find Out How Much!

The world of collectibles is vast and varied, with enthusiasts willing to pay top dollar for items that carry historical significance, rarity, or a touch of prestige. In the realm of automotive memorabilia, license plates might not be the first thing that comes to mind, but they can fetch staggering sums, as evidenced by a recent auction in South Australia.

A 'rare' license plate, simply adorned with the number '8', has just been sold for a price that would make even the most seasoned collectors' eyes water. This exclusive South Australian number plate, which first graced the bumpers of vehicles more than a century ago, was expected to attract significant attention at auction—and it did not disappoint.

The No. 8 plate, with its rich history dating back to 1906, was first issued to Arthur Earnest Ayers, the son of the prominent businessman and politician Sir Henry Ayers. Fast forward to today, and this piece of automotive history has been auctioned off on behalf of the South Australian government, fetching an eye-watering bid of $1.3 million.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 12.27.06 PM.png
The number 8 plate has been auctioned. Credit: Slattery Auction / EzyPlates

With just over a day left on the sale at Slattery Auctions, the sought-after number plate had already racked up this impressive figure. The auction attracted more than 60 bidders since it opened to the public late last month, with a further 1630 viewers keeping a close eye on the proceedings.

Stewart Kay, an auctioneer at Historic Plates, remarked on the rarity and special nature of the plate. 'Number plates are a very historic connection back to 120 years ago when they were first issued,' Mr. Kay told 7News. He highlighted the 'triple threat' appeal of such plates: they enhance the look of any car, offer a great return as an investment, and come with a certain level of prestige.

Interest in number plates has surged since the early-2000s, according to Mr. Kay, and has outperformed other collectibles like vintage watches, cars, and even stocks. This isn't the first time a historic number plate has made headlines; earlier this year, a No. 1 number plate in NSW hit the auction block, with bids soaring over $10 million within the first 72 hours.

Other notable plates at Slattery Auctions included No. 55, which attracted a current bid of $226,000, and No. 873, which reached $150,100.

The sale of the No. 8 plate is a testament to the enduring appeal of unique and historic items. It's a reminder that for some, the value of an object is not just in its material worth but in its story and the status it confers.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, this might bring back memories of the days when license plates were more than just a registration requirement—they were a symbol of identity and pride for the vehicle owner. It's fascinating to see how these items have transitioned from practical use to coveted collector's items.

Key Takeaways
  • A rare South Australian number plate from the early-1900s is expected to fetch over $1 million at auction.
  • The highly sought-after No. 8 plate was first owned by Arthur Earnest Ayers, son of Sir Henry Ayers, in 1906.
  • Historic Plates auctioneer Stewart Kay highlights the rarity and investment value of single-digit number plates.
  • With a thriving interest in collectable number plates, they are seen as having aesthetic, historic, and investment appeal, potentially outperforming other collectables like vintage cars and watches.

We'd love to hear from you in the comments below. Do you have any collectibles that have appreciated in value over the years? Or perhaps you have a story about a historic item passed down through your family? Share your experiences and thoughts on the world of collecting and the surprising value of everyday items turned treasures.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo and BJM
Sponsored
I have a beautiful mantel clock which dates back to the 1860s which has been passed down in family on my mothers side it still works. And dongs on the hour and half hour some people can't stand it. I would not be without it. My daughter will be the next owner when l am gone.
My husband has a donkey with a cart which was his mothers we are not certain of its age. It's Italian pottery. If my in laws were still alive they would have been married nearly 80 years so the donkey must be up there. Both items most likely worth nothing but we love them.
My mother has a beautiful bible. When my parents were about to marry, my late father met an African American sailor l think at a pub. A beautiful soul. This man took a real liking to my mum and dad. He very kindly gave his family bible to my father as a wedding gift. This bible is absolutely beautiful. Every page has gold leaf around the edge of each page. The paintings in the bible are just beautiful. When my father left the family. Mum told him you are not getting it. So when mum passes on the bible comes to me. Which l shall treasure forever. Just a very kind gift from a beautiful man from the other side of the world.

Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: magpie1
Hey Veggie, the RTA at the time probably thought it's a little bit "Rude" to have. You have a naughty side to yourself. But, I like it.

Reactions: magpie1