This mum's warning about a Kmart item might save your grandkid!

When it comes to being a grandparent, there’s so much pleasure in being able to shower our grandkids with gifts.

For those lucky enough to be blessed with grandchildren, finding a good bargain at Kmart when searching for the perfect toy or present feels great.

However, one mum’s experience with a Kmart product was not quite the bargain she’d hoped for, as it ended in near-disaster.

The family’s ordeal began when 22-month-old Arlo, who was then tottering around his family’s lounge room with one of Kmart’s 6-Pack Reusable Cups with Hard Spout Lids filled with milk in hand, had tripped on the carpet.

Unfortunately, he fell face-first onto it.

SDC Images (6).png
A sippy cup from the 6-Pack Reusable Cups with Hard Spout Lids set from Kmart shattered when a toddler who was holding it tripped and dropped the cup. Image source: Kmart (left), Freepik (right).

This resulted in the sippy cup shattering into sharp shards on impact, slicing into his cheek, nose, lip, and forehead. Arlo’s eye was also bruised and surrounded by tiny cuts.

His horrified mum, Emmah Peter, was quick to attend to her son’s wounds—and she's now sounding a warning for the safety of toddlers out there.

'I’m so glad it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but was still quite scary,' she recalled.

'I don’t know what I would have done if it went in his eye.'

Emmah revealed that when the accident happened early this September, she first thought nothing was amiss.

'I couldn’t immediately see any wounds because he was covered in milk.'

'After I cleaned that up, I noticed he had several scratches on his face and a bruise appearing under his eye.'

Arlo.jpg
Arlo’s face was sliced and bruised after his fall. Image source: 7News / Emmah Peters.

The fragility of the cup when under pressure was evident and prompted Kmart to investigate the product.

The cup had been purchased for $5 as part of a pack of six and was made from Polypropylene. The item is currently listed under Kmart’s baby feeding range.

'We bought the cups in a pack of six, but several had already been broken from my son throwing them,' Emmah said.

She also shared that she was also never concerned about the product until the incident.

Emmah had returned the cups to her local Kmart and shared with them the incident. To which a staff member responded that they would be sending the cups off for product testing.

A spokesperson from Kmart also issued a statement which read: 'The safety of our customers is always our number one priority.'

'While this product complies with all required safety standards and is regularly tested, we are now working with this customer directly so that we can conduct a full investigation and review.'

Emma hopes to warn parents and grandparents about the possibilities with the productto prevent another accident from happening.

'My message to others who have these is to throw them away if they aren’t comfortable with their little one using them any more, based on what might happen,' she said.

'Or at least make sure [the] child is seated while drinking and doesn’t walk around with their cup.'
Key Takeaways
  • A toddler named Arlo suffered facial injuries after tripping and falling on his Kmart Reusable Cup with a Hard Spout Lid, which shattered upon impact.
  • Arlo's mother, Emmah Peter, has since warned other parents and grandparents about the potential fragility of these sippy cups when under pressure.
  • After returning the cups to her local Kmart, a staff member said they’d be sending the product for further testing.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated the safety of their customers is their top priority and that they are now in the process of conducting a full investigation and review of the product.
Members, have you had the same experience with a similar product before? Share them with us in the comments below to keep other grandchildren free from harm!

Sponsored
When it comes to being a grandparent, there’s so much pleasure in being able to shower our grandkids with gifts.

For those lucky enough to be blessed with grandchildren, finding a good bargain at Kmart when searching for the perfect toy or present feels great.

However, one mum’s experience with a Kmart product was not quite the bargain she’d hoped for, as it ended in near-disaster.

The family’s ordeal began when 22-month-old Arlo, who was then tottering around his family’s lounge room with one of Kmart’s 6-Pack Reusable Cups with Hard Spout Lids filled with milk in hand, had tripped on the carpet.

View attachment 30758
A sippy cup from the 6-Pack Reusable Cups with Hard Spout Lids set from Kmart shattered when a toddler who was holding it tripped and dropped the cup. Image source: Kmart (left), Freepik (right).

This resulted in the sippy cup shattering into sharp shards on impact, slicing into his cheek, nose, lip, and forehead. Arlo’s eye was also bruised and surrounded by tiny cuts.

His horrified mum, Emmah Peter, was quick to attend to her son’s wounds—and she's now sounding a warning for the safety of toddlers out there.

'I’m so glad it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but was still quite scary,' she recalled.

Emmah revealed that when the accident happened early this September, she first thought nothing was amiss.

'After I cleaned that up, I noticed he had several scratches on his face and a bruise appearing under his eye.'

View attachment 30759
Arlo’s face was sliced and bruised after his fall. Image source: 7News / Emmah Peters.

The fragility of the cup when under pressure was evident and prompted Kmart to investigate the product.

The cup had been purchased for $5 as part of a pack of six and was made from Polypropylene. The item is currently listed under Kmart’s baby feeding range.

'We bought the cups in a pack of six, but several had already been broken from my son throwing them,' Emmah said.

She also shared that she was also never concerned about the product until the incident.

Emmah had returned the cups to her local Kmart and shared with them the incident. To which a staff member responded that they would be sending the cups off for product testing.

A spokesperson from Kmart also issued a statement which read: 'The safety of our customers is always our number one priority.'

'While this product complies with all required safety standards and is regularly tested, we are now working with this customer directly so that we can conduct a full investigation and review.'

Emma hopes to warn parents and grandparents about the possibilities with the productto prevent another accident from happening.

'My message to others who have these is to throw them away if they aren’t comfortable with their little one using them any more, based on what might happen,' she said.

'Or at least make sure [the] child is seated while drinking and doesn’t walk around with their cup.'
Key Takeaways

• A toddler named Arlo suffered facial injuries after tripping and falling on his Kmart Reusable Cup with a Hard Spout Lid, which shattered upon impact.
  • Arlo's mother, Emmah Peter, has since warned other parents and grandparents about the potential fragility of these sippy cups when under pressure.
  • After returning the cups to her local Kmart, a staff member said they’d be sending the product for further testing.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated the safety of their customers is their top priority and that they are now in the process of conducting a full investigation and review of the product.
Members, have you had the same experience with a similar product before? Share them with us in the comments below to keep other grandchildren free from harm!
No similar experience for us, thank God but our daughter is expecting our first grandson soon so I’ll definitely be taking note of this and I hope Arlo’s wounds clear up with no permanent scares. How scary for all involved?! Such a cutie too, hope they’re all doing ok 😊

How scary is this, I've always had a thing for kids walking around with items .

With drink or food my girls get them to sit down and not walk around including cups.
All my grandkids have stainless steel bottles and even then their mothers give it to them to have a drink then takes it off them.

I hate drink spills and finding food where it shouldn't be. Sitting them down for both food n drink is teaching at an early age eating etiquette

When my daughter was 6 she was in the backyard drawing when her sister tricked her and told her to run saying the German Shepard from our neighbour was in our yard . She ran with a pencil , fell and it went into her eye. The fat in her eye lid was hanging out and doctors said she was lucky not to lose her eye.

Hopefully the little boy will heal well .

I wouldn't blame kmart with this one. Alot of cups if you fell on them would break. And again children shouldn't be walking around with any food or drink

Last edited:
That's terrible for that little boy.
It was fortunate it wasn't glass, as some bottles and sippy cups are these days, due to the plastic free movement.
Accidents can happen with toddlers, as mothers all know.
I also hope Arlo doesn't get permanent scarring.

Surely the lesson here for all grandparents is to ensure your grandchild is sitting when eating and drinking.
I so often see kids running around with sticks of lollipops poking from their mouth. Simple rule, if you're eating, you're sitting.

Also if the cups have been washed in the dishwasher this can affect the compounds in the plastic mix and they dry out and become brittle. Hence it can shatter into shards if dropped and there injuries can happen.

As other members have noted little ones should not be free range eating and drinking for many reasons. In my house if you drink or eat you sit down. When finished you wash face and hands if it was a messy session lol 😆 then off to play. Also good training for manners. If my autistic grandson's, 2 of them 11 & 3 , can manage to do the right thing all Kiddies can achieve.

Well I think it's all been said don't let them walk around when eating or drinking we have 6 grand children when we have them there is no wandering around with things in there hands until much older and hopefully sensible

I find it incredible that they would manufacture a child's drink cup out of a brittle plastic. All of those cups, many years ago, were made from pliable materials....
BTW I hope the little fella doesn't have any scarring and he makes a full recovery. He's a cute little bugger isn't he☺️

Reactions: Ezzy and Penny4
Not KMart's fault if the cups passed all tests and they have the permission to sell them. This looks like quite an unfortunate accident. Get well little fellow!

Reactions: Defiant540 and Ezzy
In today's world where everything is manufactured cheaply overseas we must be on alert for products which aren't manufactured to the same quality as those us oldies used for our children. Most of us probably didn't have a dishwasher when our children were young & constantly washing plastics in sustained extremely hot water wasn't a problem.

This is a generation of throw away products & perhaps for the sake of our infants & toddlers we ourselves as parents & grandparents need to opt for a throw away date for the safety of those precious lives whether they are seated using those utensils or not. As we know, we can't watch them all the time & in a blink of an eye those seated bodies can be mobile.

View attachment 30758

View attachment 30759

Key Takeaways

Shouldn't everything be product tested b4 being put on the shelves ??
Unbelievable!!

Shouldn't everything be product tested b4 being put on the shelves ??
Unbelievable!!

This is the quoted response from Kmart in the article:

• Sad
Difficult but for all sorts of reasons it is always best to ensure that kids are sitting down when they are eating or drinking

Thank goodness not permanent damage to the little chap. However it is totally irresponsible to let a child wander around with a drink. Big enough to toddle around then big enough to be sat down and enjoy a drink. Parents these days..... 'nuf said!!

Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 30758

View attachment 30759

Key Takeaways

Where were they made🙀poor little chap hope he’s okay😁

Very little made here in Australia as we don’t want to pay the higher prices but still want the higher wages. A lot of our fresh meat, fruit and vegetables are Australian grown, but not everything (before you all jump down my throat about imported stuff!). We cannot have it both ways.

KMart has said they were tested and followed safety standards and are investigating this incident.

Parents & grandparents have a big part to play in accepting responsibility for the actions of their children/grandchildren in the way they bring them up. Don’t blame someone else all the time.

Reactions: Ezzy