This mum's 'lazy dinner' is a genius way to incorporate more veggies into your diet — 'Almost NO cooking!'

We all know we should be eating more vegetables, but let's face it - sometimes the hassle of cooking them can be a major deterrent. Whether it's the long cooking times or the lack of variety in our diets, vegetables can often end up being an afterthought.

But there are ways to make incorporating more veggies into your diet easier!

Take, for example, this mum's 'lazy dinner' recipe that is currently making the rounds on social media for its 'genius' way of sneaking more greens into meals without the hassle of cooking for long periods.

Mum Hannah Grant has gone viral on Facebook after she shared a photo of her two children enjoying a vegetable-filled meal, along with a recipe for the food which she claimed required little to no cooking.

C28bViL95GOSv9eEoM9x24XlQ_0eepHfIS4BDne13l9idXLVN4lE1sCG8-8ES85ItQYtANmhlXXlPxD1mWGEiJmv-_vjbG4qvidYbIuuzMUCVGRUERj1Da5zNMZTBCyIdwY_Ji4udIEIJQVdJPhSNw

A photo of Hannah’s two kids enjoying the ‘lazy dinner’. Credit: Facebook/Lazy Mama Dinners.

Posting to the Lazy Mama Dinners group, the mum revealed that all she did to prepare the meal was slice up some vegetables, rinse some cooked noodles in cold water, and toss everything in with sesame oil.

'With all the thin cut items it doesn't look lazy, but it's all cold and raw and the noodles cook in two min after the water boils,' she wrote.

Hannah said the meal was based on a Japanese dish called hiyashi chūka — a cold noodle dish consisting of chilled ramen noodles with various toppings. The dish is usually served in Japan during the summer season.

'The sauce is only a few ingredients that all get measured in tablespoons and don't need to be cut,' she continued.

'I usually do the cutting in little spurts throughout the day and put it into the fridge until dinnertime.'

'Then I just pull it all out and give everyone a plate.'

Hannah Grant's 'Lazy' Hiyashi Chūka Recipe

INGREDIENTS

Angel hair pasta or Japanese somen noodles
Cucumber
Chicken breast
Ham
Egg (cook up a thin egg sheet)
Carrot
Spring onion
Tomato
Pickled ginger (you know, the little packets you get with sushi)
Salt
Pepper

For the sauce

2 tsp sugar
1 tsp squeeze tube ginger
2 tsp sesame oil
(Optional) ½ tsp chilli oil
4 tsp chicken broth
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar

METHOD

1. Bring the noodles to a boil and rinse under cold water.
2. Slice up the veggies and set them aside.
3. Add the chicken breast to a pot of boiling water (along with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place the lid on top and slightly lower the heat to a rapid simmer. It should take roughly 10 minutes to cook (be sure to check inside a piece first).
4. Prepare the sauce by mixing two teaspoons of rice vinegar, four teaspoons of chicken broth, four teaspoons of soy sauce, two teaspoons of sugar, one teaspoon of ginger, and two teaspoons of sesame oil into a bowl.
5. Serve all veggies, protein, and noodles with the sauce on the side to dip. Enjoy!

Several group members raved over the mum's quick and easy recipe, with many saying that they are keen on trying it themselves.

One mum wrote: 'Oh how fun, I love this idea.'

'My daughters would love this,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'I’m going to try this. Thank you!'

Cold noodles are a refreshing and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed any time of year. We admit that we only learned about them through random videos online but we are looking forward to trying this 'adjusted' recipe before we try to mimic the traditional Japanese recipe.

How about you? Will you give this recipe a try? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know we should be eating more vegetables, but let's face it - sometimes the hassle of cooking them can be a major deterrent. Whether it's the long cooking times or the lack of variety in our diets, vegetables can often end up being an afterthought.

Take, for example, this mum's 'lazy dinner' recipe that is currently making the rounds on social media for its 'genius' way of sneaking more greens into meals without the hassle of cooking for long periods.

Mum Hannah Grant has gone viral on Facebook after she shared a photo of her two children enjoying a vegetable-filled meal, along with a recipe for the food which she claimed required little to no cooking.

C28bViL95GOSv9eEoM9x24XlQ_0eepHfIS4BDne13l9idXLVN4lE1sCG8-8ES85ItQYtANmhlXXlPxD1mWGEiJmv-_vjbG4qvidYbIuuzMUCVGRUERj1Da5zNMZTBCyIdwY_Ji4udIEIJQVdJPhSNw

A photo of Hannah’s two kids enjoying the ‘lazy dinner’. Credit: Facebook/Lazy Mama Dinners.

Posting to the Lazy Mama Dinners group, the mum revealed that all she did to prepare the meal was slice up some vegetables, rinse some cooked noodles in cold water, and toss everything in with sesame oil.

'With all the thin cut items it doesn't look lazy, but it's all cold and raw and the noodles cook in two min after the water boils,' she wrote.

Hannah said the meal was based on a Japanese dish called hiyashi chūka — a cold noodle dish consisting of chilled ramen noodles with various toppings. The dish is usually served in Japan during the summer season.

'The sauce is only a few ingredients that all get measured in tablespoons and don't need to be cut,' she continued.

'I usually do the cutting in little spurts throughout the day and put it into the fridge until dinnertime.'

INGREDIENTS

Cucumber
Chicken breast
Ham
Carrot
Spring onion
Tomato
Salt
Pepper

For the sauce

2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp chicken broth
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar

METHOD

3. Add the chicken breast to a pot of boiling water (along with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place the lid on top and slightly lower the heat to a rapid simmer. It should take roughly 10 minutes to cook (be sure to check inside a piece first).
4. Prepare the sauce by mixing two teaspoons of rice vinegar, four teaspoons of chicken broth, four teaspoons of soy sauce, two teaspoons of sugar, one teaspoon of ginger, and two teaspoons of sesame oil into a bowl.
5. Serve all veggies, protein, and noodles with the sauce on the side to dip. Enjoy!

Several group members raved over the mum's quick and easy recipe, with many saying that they are keen on trying it themselves.

Cold noodles are a refreshing and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed any time of year. We admit that we only learned about them through random videos online but we are looking forward to trying this 'adjusted' recipe before we try to mimic the traditional Japanese recipe.

How about you? Will you give this recipe a try? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
When my boys were young we gave them a 'picnic' of fresh fruit and veggies every day. Pieces of carrot, cucumber, red capsicum, apple, banana or whatever was in season. This was before dinner and instead of unhealthy snacks. If we were out they were happy to chomp on carrots and/or apple pieces pieces. They even received compliments form grannies at the supermarket who were passing by.

When I was in JC Superstar in Albury, the cast saw the boys eating carrots and I had to shared the carrots with some of the cast. It was hilarious to see these 'Priests' eating carrots during the actual rehearsals.

When my boys were young we gave them a 'picnic' of fresh fruit and veggies every day. Pieces of carrot, cucumber, red capsicum, apple, banana or whatever was in season. This was before dinner and instead of unhealthy snacks. If we were out they were happy to chomp on carrots and/or apple pieces pieces. They even received compliments form grannies at the supermarket who were passing by.

When I was in JC Superstar in Albury, the cast saw the boys eating carrots and I had to shared the carrots with some of the cast. It was hilarious to see these 'Priests' eating carrots during the actual rehearsals.
How good is THAT !!

Reactions: Rochelle
The noodles, egg and chicken are all cooked separately, the sauce is made with several ingredients and the vegetables are all finely cut
It sounds tasty but I think a one pot meal is much simpler, with chunky vegetables, minimal preparation and served from the pot, so no serving dishes.

INGREDIENTS

Cucumber
Chicken breast
Ham
Carrot
Spring onion
Tomato
Salt
Pepper

For the sauce

2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp chicken broth
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar

METHOD

Don't like cold noodles. There are too many ingredients