This mum mastered how to cook the perfect poached egg!

Known for being the toughest egg dish to master, poached eggs can be a source of frustration, especially when they don’t turn out quite as you expected.

But one woman on TikTok shared her secret to making the perfect poached eggs in under a minute. Yes, you read that correctly! You can make the perfect poached egg in under a minute.

Poached eggs, if I can say so myself, are the holy grail of delicious brunch dishes. If you love the classic combo of toast and eggs and love trying to recreate that restaurant-quality brunch at home, you know that achieving the perfect poached egg can be tricky.

Good thing social media influencer Dana Gordon shared her mum’s trick for making the ultimate poached eggs on TikTok.

‘My mum is obsessed with TikTok and this new hack,’ Dana said.

dana.jpg
You can now cook poached eggs in less than a minute. Credit: danarebeccadesigns/TikTok

Dana’s mum cracked the whole egg into a dish, covered it with just enough water to cover the yolk, and then popped it in the microwave for a little under a minute.

‘It can go between 36 and 45 seconds,’ her mum said.

After the egg was sufficiently heated in the microwave, she took it out and showed the camera that the water around it was white.

Dana’s mum then lifted the egg out of the bowl and placed it on a plate she had prepared.

‘Here it comes, the perfect poached egg,’ she narrated.

dana2.jpg
Easiest poached egg recipe we’ve seen. Credit: danarebeccadesigns/TikTok

Dana then cut the egg with a fork and revealed that the egg was perfectly cooked as well.

The now-viral video impressed over 1.4 million people, and many of Dana’s followers said they were keen on trying out the hack for themselves.

Some of them even had their own tips to share.

‘Add a drop of white vinegar and it keeps the egg white from floating around,’ said one.

Another added: ‘Put it on a paper towel when finished to absorb the water.’

In 2021, a chef shared a similar hack for poaching eggs – this time using a ladle and boiling water.

All you need is a ladle, a pan of boiling water, and an egg. The chef said to crack the egg into the ladle, hold it over the water until the water turns opaque in colour, and voila! You’ve got the perfect poached egg.

You can watch Dana’s video below:

Poached eggs have been a staple in breakfast dishes for centuries and are the stars of many delicious creations. French toast, fried rice, Eggs Benedict, and Spanish omelettes are just a few dishes that commonly feature poached eggs or use the poaching process for their preparation. Aside from breakfast, poached eggs also make excellent additions to salads, soups, pasta, and even sandwiches.

Once you’ve mastered cooking poached eggs, you can now try making a couple more recipes at home!

For instance, to make Eggs Benedict, all you need is:
  • 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 toasting muffins
  • 4 Parma ham
For the hollandaise sauce, you need:
  • 125g butter
  • 2 egg yolks
  • white wine vinegar
  • A squeeze of lemon juice
  • A dash of cayenne pepper
To make the dish, you can follow the instructions below:
  1. Boil a deep saucepan of water (at least 2 litres) and add 3 tbsp of white wine vinegar. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
  2. Break the eggs into four separate ramekins (or coffee cups).
  3. Split the muffins and toast them for a few minutes on either side.
  4. Swirl the simmering vinegar-ed water to form a vortex and slide in the egg. This will allow it to curl around and set to a near, round shape. Cook for 2-3 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with as many eggs as you want OR skip this step entirely and just cook your eggs in the microwave like the above hack!
To make the hollandaise sauce:
  1. First, melt the butter in a saucepan and skim for any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
  2. Put the egg yolks, white wine, salt (to taste), and a splash of ice-cold water in a bowl. Make sure that the bowl will fit inside the pan.
  3. Whisk for a few minutes then place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture is pale and thick.
  4. Remove from the pan and whisk slowly until the butter melts.
  5. Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
  6. Spread hollandaise sauce on each muffin, place a slice of ham on top, and then place the egg. Spoon over more hollandaise sauce as you want and serve.

Key Takeaways

• Poached eggs can be made in under a minute.
  • Crack the egg into a microwave-safe dish and fill it with just enough water to cover the yolk, then microwave for 36-45 seconds.
  • A similar hack involves using a ladle, a pan of boiling water and an egg. The egg is poached by cracking it into the ladle and holding it over the water until it turns opaque in colour.
Are you keen on trying this hack? Let us know how it turns out in the comments below!

Sponsored
Ok here is my little secret . I can whip up amazing meals .

I can cook perfect scrambled eggs, lightly boiled eggs, hard boiled eggs and the perfect fried eggs ...but I can never get The Poached egg right so now I will try this. Fingers crossed

• Haha
Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
This is an easy recipe for one person with a microwave.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of butter or margarine to a coffee mug. Microwave for 10 seconds.
Add one egg to the mug, a splash of milk, salt and pepper and some grated cheese.
Give it a stir. Microwave for one minute. Yummy on toast.