This mum’s $2 meal can keep your tummies warm in the cooler months!

In these times of soaring living costs, many of us are feeling the pinch in our wallets, especially when it comes to grocery shopping.

We've recently stumbled upon a hearty culinary trick that's light on the pocket but not on the stomach.

A thrifty mum has shared her secret weapon for those days when the budget is stretched thin and her family craves a satisfying meal.

Her go-to recipe? A simple 'pasta soup' that feeds a family of five for a mere $2.

The recipe only calls for three items: one packet of Woolworths brand penne pasta, priced at 90 cents, and two packets of chicken-flavoured noodle soup at 55 cents each.

‘My mum used to make this when I was a kid,’ she shared in a post.

‘It wasn't very nutritional but she was a single mum with five kids and it would fill our tummies. Sometimes, that's what matters.’

compressed-photo (3).jpeg
The mum’s ‘pasta soup’ is also highly customisable with any pantry items or protein sources. Image Credit: Woolworths

For those who want to add variety to this dish, consider throwing in some frozen vegetables, a couple of eggs, or a sprinkle of cheese.

These additions not only enhance the flavour but also boost the meal's nutritional profile without significantly increasing the cost.

Commenters also chimed in with their own budget-friendly meal ideas.

‘My mother's go-to was a packet of pasta with 12 slices of cheese mixed through,’ one comment read.

‘We now add a jar of bold cheese spread with dried onion and herbs. If we can afford to, we dice up a ham steak for extra taste.’

‘I like using a packet of mie goreng noodles, add a diced onion, grated carrot and 1/4 cup of peas. I top it off with a fried egg,’ another shared, calling their recipe ‘A very tasty cheap meal.’

‘My pre-payday meal is a jacket potato with cheese and beans,’ a third comment read.

One particularly creative idea was a 'surprise bread' recipe.

This dish calls for hollowing out a loaf of bread and filling it with whatever is on hand—butter, tomatoes, spinach, garlic, and perhaps some ham or cheese.

After mixing the filling ingredients, they're placed back inside the bread, sealed with the top crust, and baked until toasty.

It's a versatile and filling meal that can be adapted based on available ingredients.

These recipes are more than just meals; they're a reminder of people’s resourcefulness during tough times.

They also highlight the importance of community sharing, as cooking tips and tricks can be a lifeline for those looking to save money without sacrificing satisfaction.
Key Takeaways

• A mum shared her $2 recipe involving penne pasta and chicken-flavoured noodle soup.
  • The cheap meal, called 'pasta soup', can be enhanced with frozen vegetables, eggs, and cheese, depending on availability.
  • Aussies also shared their own low-cost meal ideas and pantry staples for tough financial times, including noodles, potatoes, and a ‘surprise bread’ filled with pantry staples.
  • These low-budget yet filling recipes are a great display of home cooks and their creativity and the kitchen.
What are your go-to recipes when you need to stretch your dollar further? Share your budget-friendly cooking recipes and tricks in the comments below!

Sponsored
It should not be like that though. We should not have to be scrimping and scraping to put food on the table. It's diabolical. I feel for those families with extremely tight budgets at the hands of the government. It is disgusting what the government is doing to us.

It should not be like that though. We should not have to be scrimping and scraping to put food on the table. It's diabolical. I feel for those families with extremely tight budgets at the hands of the government. It is disgusting what the government is doing to us.
I would never had five children if I was going to be unable to feed them. Family allowance adds up. Where is the money going?

You can make a large old-fashioned 'Apricot Chicken' in the Slow Cooker, which can be either eaten then or frozen for later. Towards the end of the cook, add some pasta or rice. It goes a long way.

Reactions: kerrikennel
These processed packets are very salty , tasteless and full of flavours . If the kids get used to these meals , they might be vulnerable of falling ill due to no nutritious food.

Reactions: Penny4
Suggestions that might help.
1 Fried rice with left overs a slice of ham or bacon wouldn't cost much and would add taste add sauce.
2 Bread fingers dipped in egg and milk and fried both sides
3 Pancakes
4 Thin slices of potato dipped in batter and deep fried alright now and again