This Man’s Hilarious Tribute to His Dad Is Going Viral

In the quiet town of Clarendon, Texas, a son's tribute to his late father has captured the hearts and tickled the funny bones of people around the world. When 41-year-old Charles Boehm set out to write an obituary for his 74-year-old father, Robert Adolph Boehm, he decided to take a path less travelled. Instead of a sombre recount of his father's life, Charles penned a hilarious and heartwarming homage that has since gone viral, proving that humour can be a powerful salve for grief.

Robert Boehm's life was celebrated in an obituary that read more like a comedy sketch than a traditional eulogy. 'Robert Adolph Boehm, in accordance with his lifelong dedication to his own personal brand of decorum, muttered his last unintelligible and likely unnecessary curse on October 6, 2024, shortly before tripping backward over 'some stupid bleeping thing' and hitting his head on the floor,' Charles wrote, setting the tone for what was to become an internet sensation.

The obituary humorously highlighted Robert's knack for avoiding military service, suggesting that his timely procreation may have been a strategic move to dodge the Vietnam War draft. 'Much later, with Robert possibly concerned about the brewing conflict in Grenada, Charles was born in 1983,' the son quipped, showcasing his father's irreverent sense of humour.

1729482805132.png
This hilarious obituary was written for 74-year-old Robert Adolph Boehm, capturing his unusual life and antics. Credit: Shutterstock

Charles didn't shy away from sharing his father's misadventures with firearms, noting that Robert had managed to shoot his own car dashboard not once but twice, much to the nonchalance of his wife, Dianne. The obituary painted a picture of a man who was as unconventional as he was unpredictable, a collector of historical weapons and a fashion icon in his own right, often seen sporting homemade leather moccasins and a collection of eccentric hats.

Robert's love for historical weapons, such as the WWII-era Soviet Mosin-Nagant M1891, was matched only by his penchant for late-night harmonica concerts, courtesy of his beloved dogs. Charles fondly recalled how his father would distribute harmonicas to his many grandchildren and great-grandchildren, ensuring that the family road trips were anything but quiet.

The obituary also touched on the recent loss of Charles' mother, Dianne, suggesting that God had finally granted her some peace and quiet after a lifetime of being entertained by Robert's antics. With Dianne's passing, Robert had redirected his creative energies towards the townspeople of Clarendon, ensuring that his legacy of laughter would live on.

As the obituary made its rounds on social media, it garnered an outpouring of affection and admiration from strangers who wished they had known Robert. 'You ever read an obituary and think, 'Dang, I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet them. They seemed pretty cool,'' one commenter reflected. Another expressed a desire to hire Charles to write their own obituary, a testament to the impact of his words.

Charles, who had never written an obituary before, turned to Google for guidance and found inspiration in the stories of others who had celebrated their loved ones with humour. His father's obituary not only served as a final act of love and remembrance but also as a reminder that life, even in its conclusion, can be filled with joy and laughter.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that saying goodbye to a loved one is never easy, but Charles Boehm's approach to his father's obituary is a beautiful example of how humour can help us cope with loss. It's a reminder that our loved ones can continue to bring us joy and laughter, even after they're gone.
Key Takeaways

• A 41-year-old son has written a hilarious obituary for his 74-year-old father, Robert Adolph Boehm, whose unusual life and antics are charmingly described.
  • The obituary, which went viral, highlights the deceased's humorous mishaps, like blowing holes in his car dash and collecting historical weapons.
  • The son, Charles, wrote the obituary with humour to give his dad one last laugh and celebrate his life in a unique way.
  • The obituary received a lot of attention on social media, leading many to express they wished they had met Robert, and some even wanted Charles to write their own obituaries.
We invite you to share your thoughts on this heartwarming story. Have you ever encountered an obituary that made you smile or laugh? Would you consider a humorous tribute for your loved ones? Let's celebrate the lives of those we've lost with stories that capture their spirit and keep their memories alive in the comments below.

Sponsored
Love that others feel they remember loved one's for their great sense of humor. When my Husband passed, instead of flowers on his coffin, I placed a taxidermy Crayfish on his due to his love of fishing and crayfishing, but he never ate any crustations. My girlfriend saw the hurst pass her and she called out "there goes Steve". Got a few giggles at the ceremony, along with a few other funny tales from his mates.

Well done. It is very hard to write eulogies. I did for both my parents and the input from family members was very helpful but the eulogies were respectful but not funny. Though my brother had "1 did it my way" played at my father's funeral. I know this is a common farewell song but it was great.

Reactions: DLHM and magpie1
When it was my turn to talk on behalf of my mum at her service, everything was right off the cuff. No pre written notes were needed. I did the same at our beautiful cousin's service as well.

My sister made comments, that she couldn't remember some of the happy memories which I bestowed to her. It created a bit of humor which dear mum would've enjoyed to the hilt.

I had to write my parents in law and my father's obituary after their passings. I wrote about their lives as best l could of what l knew of them. I added funny bits in, along the way. It was very difficult with my dad's as he left when l was nine and came back in my life at 45. His step kids were of no help.
I could have said a lot about when he was with us but no one would have known anything about that part of his life. I threw in some funny bits l had got to know about dad.
Definitely look for the funny side of the person who has passed. My husband often says to the grandkids you won't forget us. They will have lots of funny stories about us. It is suppose to be a celebration of ones life don't focus on the sadness dig deep capture ones personality in a fun way. We all have little funny quirks. Everyone has their own story. It's up to the ones left behind to tell the story of the one who has gone. Make it funny filled with love and respect.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Is this American? Sure bloody does - because Australia never had anything to do with that little stoush in Grenada.
The first line of the article states “Clarendon, Texas”. So why question if it’s American?

Besides, what does that have to do with a son writing a humourous obituary for his dad? The story was about putting a light hearted spin on his dad’s life. Guess you missed the point.

Love that others feel they remember loved one's for their great sense of humor. When my Husband passed, instead of flowers on his coffin, I placed a taxidermy Crayfish on his due to his love of fishing and crayfishing, but he never ate any crustations. My girlfriend saw the hurst pass her and she called out "there goes Steve". Got a few giggles at the ceremony, along with a few other funny tales from his mates.
Love it.
Kind regards Vicki

Yes nice to think he was skilled enough to write a eulogy that hit the right spot which I think would be quite difficult. I think it would depend on the circumstances of death as to whether a humerous. one would be appropriate and Also what sort of character the deceased had. Maybe he wasn’t the Life and soul of the party and then possibly it could offend. If humour can be added appropriately I think it would be good but you’d have to think about it.

The first line of the article states “Clarendon, Texas”. So why question if it’s American?

Besides, what does that have to do with a son writing a humourous obituary for his dad? The story was about putting a light hearted spin on his dad’s life. Guess you missed the point.
You actually read the first few paragraphs of blah blah blah?

I don't.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
Well done. It is very hard to write eulogies. I did for both my parents and the input from family members was very helpful but the eulogies were respectful but not funny. Though my brother had "1 did it my way" played at my father's funeral. I know this is a common farewell song but it was great.
Hi again "JP3",
I was very similar, where I specially requested "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the cease of my dear mum's service.
A very befitting farewell as far as I was concerned.

I wrote my Mum's then read it to other family members and I had missed out a few "incidents" that had influenced her life. It was very hard to do, given what she had achieved during WW11. We were fortunate that a friend volunteered to read out what I had written.