This little-known road rule that comes with a BIG fine

Drivers who accelerate when you’re trying to overtake them don't just cause frustration with their recklessness.

They’re also breaking the law.

That’s right, members, if you’re caught by police speeding up as another vehicle is trying to overtake you, then you could land yourself with a penalty ranging from an $86 on-the-spot fine, all the way up to $2,875 in court fees, depending on where you’re caught.

So, before you put your foot down, let’s take a look at the applicable road rules around the country.

In New South Wales, drivers who fail to slow down when another vehicle is crossing the dividing line to overtake them are subject to an on-the-spot fine of $352, along with three demerit points.

photo-1533817812690-63ae25467e22.jpg
Not giving way to an overtaking vehicle by speeding up can cost a lot of money. Image Credit: Unsplash

Victorians need to be a little more careful; if police spot you accelerating when another vehicle tries to overtake, then you can land an on-the-spot penalty of $370, alongside two demerit points. However, if you decide to challenge the fine in court and are unsuccessful, then the amount could climb up to $1,849.

Meanwhile, those in South Australia risk picking up a $337 fine.

Over in Queensland, the on-the-spot fine is only $86 in addition to 2 demerit points, but the maximum amount can jump to 20 penalty units ($143.75 per unit) — a sizable $2,875.

In Western Australia, the fine is $200 and two demerit points, while in Tasmania it amounts to $173 and one demerit point.

While it’s also illegal in the Northern Territory, rather than an on-the-spot fine, drivers will receive a court notice with the amount being at the discretion of a magistrate.

In general, drivers should allow the overtaking car to pass ahead safely, including, in some cases, moving to the left when possible to ensure that the car overtaking is able to return to your lane.

speeding up penalties.jpg
Initial fines for speeding while another car overtakes yours vary from $86 to $370 in Australia. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

For those overtaking, please note that breaching the speed limit is not allowed even when passing another vehicle.

On the topic of important road rules to know in Australia, we’ve shared many stories of unfortunate people who found out that the breached one law or another:
So if you’re up for it, you may want to read this article to find out these violations that could cost you up to $533!

Key Takeaways
  • It is illegal for drivers to accelerate when another car is trying to pass them.
  • Drivers in Australia can be fined on the spot for breaking this road rule.
  • The on-the-spot fines in each state/territory vary, ranging from $86 to $370.
  • In some states/territories, drivers who challenge the fine in court may be liable to pay up to $2,785.
To keep yourself out of hot water, be sure to follow this road rule.

Well, do you have any tips or tricks to ensure the road stays safe for everyone? Share them in the comments below!

Source: YouTube/Scott’s Car Cameras

Sponsored
Drivers who accelerate when you’re trying to overtake them don't just cause frustration with their recklessness.

That’s right, members, if you’re caught by police speeding up as another vehicle is trying to overtake you, then you could land yourself with a penalty ranging from an $86 on-the-spot fine, all the way up to $2,875 in court fees, depending on where you’re caught.

So, before you put your foot down, let’s take a look at the applicable road rules around the country.

In New South Wales, drivers who fail to slow down when another vehicle is crossing the dividing line to overtake them are subject to an on-the-spot fine of $352, along with three demerit points.

View attachment 12912
Not giving way to an overtaking vehicle by speeding up can cost a lot of money. Image Credit: Unsplash

Victorians need to be a little more careful; if police spot you accelerating when another vehicle tries to overtake, then you can land an on-the-spot penalty of $370, alongside two demerit points. However, if you decide to challenge the fine in court and are unsuccessful, then the amount could climb up to $1,849.

Over in Queensland, the on-the-spot fine is only $86 in addition to 2 demerit points, but the maximum amount can jump to 20 penalty units ($143.75 per unit) — a sizable $2,875.

In Western Australia, the fine is $200 and two demerit points, while in Tasmania it amounts to $173 and one demerit point.

While it’s also illegal in the Northern Territory, rather than an on-the-spot fine, drivers will receive a court notice with the amount being at the discretion of a magistrate.

In general, drivers should allow the overtaking car to pass ahead safely, including, in some cases, moving to the left when possible to ensure that the car overtaking is able to return to your lane.

View attachment 12913
Initial fines for speeding while another car overtakes yours vary from $86 to $370 in Australia. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

For those overtaking, please note that breaching the speed limit is not allowed even when passing another vehicle.

On the topic of important road rules to know in Australia, we’ve shared many stories of unfortunate people who found out that the breached one law or another:
So if you’re up for it, you may want to read this article to find out these violations that could cost you up to $533!

Key Takeaways

• It is illegal for drivers to accelerate when another car is trying to pass them.
  • In some states/territories, drivers who challenge the fine in court may be liable to pay up to $2,785.

Well, do you have any tips or tricks to ensure the road stays safe for everyone? Share them in the comments below!

View attachment 12912

View attachment 12913

Key Takeaways

A common problem especially in NSW where they love to tumble along at 80 or less until a passing lane appears then it's common for them to speed up to as much as 110, I often wonder if they are hand in hand with the police who invariably sit at the end of the lane with ladar out

View attachment 12912

View attachment 12913

Key Takeaways

Negligent driving of any kind should be penalised. As for "little known road rules", shouldn't we all be up to date with rules, as a holder of a driver's license? Remember, it's a privilege. 🙂

I don't do that as I'm not 17 years old. however, I have been Fined about $340.00 for doing something that surprised me a couple of years ago. I would not have done it; had I have known.

Incident: I had only travelled about three minutes from Woolies in Lismore, to do my shopping and was driving home. Unfortunately, doing this with a twisted seatbelt that was digging in edge on, into a big skin cancer sore (all resolved now) that I had at the time on the side of my neck.

It annoyed me, but being a stubborn male, I had put up with it until I reached the roundabout where the action of turning the wheel caused it to be too much to put up with, and so figuring I am still clipped in, I rotated my arm out of the twisted shoulder strap, to turn the wheel and once going straight again, I rotated my arm back in again ... A police siren then started up and wailed behind me, all the way over the bridge.

I pulled over after turning off the bridge to find it was me, that he was after. I asked, "what's the issue officer?" and he said, "I saw you take your seatbelt off to go around the roundabout before the bridge."

I replied, "Oh yeah, I had to temporarily do that for a sec, sorry about that."

I informed him that I have never removed my seatbelt while driving since I was 17, however I did rotate my shoulder out of the seatbelt while turning, because of this, and showed the sore.
He inhaled with a soft whistle and said "mate, that's nasty." But you're still technically not wearing a seatbelt, even if you are sit clipped in, if the seatbelt doesn't go over the shoulder. "

It cost me $340.00, plus three points of my license. first time ever...

So, the message guys, is watch out this never happens to you.

Cheers,

Who wouldn't know that ?
Me evidently Macarj, I was at all times clipped in and my arm was only away from the shoulder sash for about thirty seconds, I was still very much secured to my seat so yeah, I figured it was ok to do. I was wrong, lesson learnt.

Reactions: Ezzy
I don't do that as I'm not 17 years old. however, I have been Fined about $340.00 for doing something that surprised me a couple of years ago. I would not have done it; had I have known.

Incident: I had only travelled about three minutes from Woolies in Lismore, to do my shopping and was driving home. Unfortunately, doing this with a twisted seatbelt that was digging in edge on, into a big skin cancer sore (all resolved now) that I had at the time on the side of my neck.

It annoyed me, but being a stubborn male, I had put up with it until I reached the roundabout where the action of turning the wheel caused it to be too much to put up with, and so figuring I am still clipped in, I rotated my arm out of the twisted shoulder strap, to turn the wheel and once going straight again, I rotated my arm back in again ... A police siren then started up and wailed behind me, all the way over the bridge.

I pulled over after turning off the bridge to find it was me, that he was after. I asked, "what's the issue officer?" and he said, "I saw you take your seatbelt off to go around the roundabout before the bridge."

I informed him that I have never removed my seatbelt while driving since I was 17, however I did rotate my shoulder out of the seatbelt while turning, because of this, and showed the sore.
He inhaled with a soft whistle and said "mate, that's nasty." But you're still technically not wearing a seatbelt, even if you are sit clipped in, if the seatbelt doesn't go over the shoulder. "

Cheers,
I am sorry that happened to you, I guess next time you will pull over and untwist the seatbelt so it's not digging into you so you don't get such a nasty surprise again. Thank you for the heads up.

Know exactly what you mean, had a woman do this to me 3 times.
At the next overtaking lane I planted my foot to get past her and voila, around the corner came a cop car and I got done for speeding.
Happy days,!!!

I’ve lost to until of the times the “speed up so you can’t overtake me” has happened and I guess that sounding the horn to advise of my manoeuvre will add another $370 if I do that.

If I have cruise-control on at the correct speed...be f@cked if I am going to disengage that and slow down, just so some idiot doesn't get a speeding ticket for going over the speed! Happened on the Bruxner highway between Ballina and Bangalow just yesterday, cruise-control on 110 and 4 cars (mainly Qld) went zipping past!

If I have cruise-control on at the correct speed...be f@cked if I am going to disengage that and slow down, just so some idiot doesn't get a speeding ticket for going over the speed! Happened on the Bruxner highway between Ballina and Bangalow just yesterday, cruise-control on 110 and 4 cars (mainly Qld) went zipping past!
I don't believe you are required to slow down, I am sure that you can retain your speed if you are within the legal limit but you must not increase your speed when being overtaken. If you were on the speed limit and using cruise control then obviously the overtaking vehicles would be subject to police action. That's just my interpretation.

I wish that people learn the rules when approaching a roundabout as not many drivers really knows anything about it.
So many near mises that could simply be avoided if people knew the actual rules.

I yet to see someone get booked for that, and I might add there should not be any laws you don't know about, if you drive you should know them. The seat belt thing sometimes goes over board, luckily for me I was passenger and the seat belt was cutting into my neck and I had it pulled out slightly by my arm resting in it on my lap and we got pulled over, saying I was not wearing the belt so I showed her what I had done and luckily let off with a WARNING, mind you that warning lasted 3 years and the driver was involved as well for not making sure I had my belt on properly and he also had the same put on him, if we had have been pulled over in the ensuing 3 years I would have got a $300 fine and 2 demerit points and driver $300 and 3 demerit points as well, so now ALL our cars have the seat belt things that slide up and down to stop them from choking short people from auto places. And yes I did know I was doing the wrong thing just never expected to see the Police.

Reactions: Pink lion

Cheers,
Thanks for the heads up.

I live in QLD, born and raised in NSW. The reason QLD'ers speed and break other road rules, is because there are very few consequences for their actions in their home state. For example, when I mentioned, I was travelling to Ballina, one guy said, " be careful, the coppers are "hot" down there". I asked why, he replied, "they pinged me for speeding". I said "were you?".. reply was "yes". I replied, " Well there's your answer". Well I suppose, "some mothers do have them".

I have only sped twice in my life. Once was when I received a phone call years ago from my sister who said she had miscarried and then fainted on her kitchen floor. I raced to her house because I didn't know her house number or street address and once there, I called for an ambulance.

The second time was while driving from Darwin to Cairns late at night, with my left arm in a sling. I made a big mistake and had picked up what turned out to be a VERY aggressive 6'3'' approx. Dutch hitchhiker, right on sundown and about a half an hour later, while driving through a heavily wooded area he pulled a knife on me, screamed abuse while pointing it and told me to pull over.

I have been a Martial a trainer for many years, and I instantly pressed the accelerator down flat.

He was highly abusive, I spoke quietly, and every time he leant towards me, or became aggressive, like thumping my injured arm, I accelerated again, going waaaay above safe speed, driving the car sliding, left, then right at many turns through the winding Forrest Hwy, then accelerating again.

Not many vehicles around at all. It was EXTREMELY reckless of me, however in my defense, I had too, there really was no other option. He identified himself as a very bad person of very bad intent and I only had use of my right arm and my vehicles excessive speed, to protect me from him.

He constantly waved his knife at me, screaming abuse, then crumpling and screaming out loudly in Dutch every time the headlights lit up a big tree and then he'd calm down. And then when he'd acted aggressive again, I went faster again. He was distraught, pleading and crying, when I stopped directly in front of the restaurant at the first garage I saw, and he literally ran out of my car back into the night. Watch out for Aussie larrikins was his lesson. I reported him instantly to the police.

No one is expecting you to slow down, this thread is about the DICKHEADS who speed up when you try and pass them, so you are good with cruise control on just let them go by and get booked dah.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Ezzy