This Kmart fitness device may actually be ‘a torture tool’, but for different reasons than you think

When strolling through the endless aisles of Kmart, it's not uncommon to stumble upon items that pique curiosity and raise eyebrows.

However, this latest addition to their fitness section is creating a buzz for all the wrong reasons.

This is the device that's become the talk of the town for looking less like a workout accessory, and more like a medieval relic.

For years, fitness enthusiasts have sung the praises of hula hoop workouts for their ability to provide a fun, low-impact cardio session while purportedly toning the midsection.

However, Kmart’s iteration, the Weighted Hula Hoop ($15), designed with a shock-absorbing massage belt and featuring adjustable links, has added a novel twist—quite literally.

A weighted ball attached by a cord swings around as you finetune your rhythm, promising to boost your core workout by leaps and bounds.

‘Engage in a fun and stimulating aerobic exercise with this weighted hula hoop,’ its website description reads.

photo (2).jpg
Kmart released this Weighted Hula Hoop priced at $15. Credits: Kmart Australia

What followed the product's release?

Bemusement, as shoppers in a social media group shared giggles and grimaces alike over the peculiar gadget's aesthetic and practicality.

‘Has anyone tried/used it? I really don’t like exercise but need to get fitter,’ one member asked after posting photos of the product.

‘Any suggestions for other Kmart fitness items would be appreciated. Thank you.’

'What is this? It looks like a torture device?' was not an uncommon reaction, mirroring the confusion of many as they tried to decipher the product's true purpose.

‘What on Earth is that for?’ another asked.

‘I think you’d be better off going for a brisk walk,’ a third advised.

There had been no shortage of scepticism—some questioned its effectiveness, others raised concerns about safety, and then there were those who just found it absurd.

An alleged personal trainer also weighed in on the item, saying: ‘I’m a PT, and if your goal is to improve your fitness, then this is not going to do it. It’s not likely to be sustainable enough to give you any significant results. You are much better off investing in some weights (dumbbells or kettlebells) and walking.’

‘Useless! I got one for a laugh, and it's rubbish,’ another member replied.

‘This looks ridiculous. So s*****,’ one commenter said.

‘What an odd contraption,’ noted another one.

Users who'd taken the leap of faith and purchased the hula hoop hadn't exactly been singing hymns of praise, too.

‘It's very hard to use, and the weight actually flew off, so [it] can be a safety issue as well. Luckily, it didn’t break anything. I read someone else had the same thing happen, but it smashed her TV!’ one unsatisfied shopper said.

‘Keep your kids and fur babies away!’ replied another.

‘I’ve had to stop using mine. The ball kept flying off, and nearly hit a student in my kinder class when I brought it in for movement,’ a primary school teacher shared.

But amid the sea of commentary on how or why the product falls short, there were also some glowing reviews.

‘I bought the same product from Pain Free Aussies. It did not arrive with the weighted ball already filled like this one is. The cost for the Pain Free Aussies was $69 on sale. This one is $15,’ one shopper argued.

‘This is a great way to vary your exercise routine. Wonderful value. I was able to change the size, so the children could have a play with it, too,’ another agreed.

For those unimpressed by Kmart’s latest fitness gadget, the budget retailer has other offers.

You can check out these Kmart products that can help you workout without the need to apply for a gym membership.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart's Weighted Hula Hoop ($15) sparked an online debate, with some customers questioning its effectiveness and safety.
  • Comments ranged from confusion and scepticism to concern over potential danger, especially after an incident where the weighted ball allegedly flew off and nearly caused injury.
  • A personal trainer expressed doubts about the hula hoop's ability to provide significant fitness results, suggesting investing in weights and walking instead.
  • Although marketed as a fun and stimulating way to exercise, the product received a less-than-positive reception, with some deeming it useless or potentially hazardous.
What do you think of this unconventional fitness device? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored