This famous restaurant closes its doors after 11 years: 'It is gone, shop empty'

The dining scene in Sydney has always been a vibrant tapestry woven with diverse cuisines and the buzz of eager food enthusiasts.

However, the fabric of this culinary landscape is fraying as another establishment, Yok Thai in Neutral Bay, has shut its doors after 11 years of service.

Yok Thai, known for its Thai fusion tapas-style menu, was a gem nestled in the affluent area near Military Road.

It was a place where the likes of former New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian could be spotted, and securing a table often required a booking well in advance.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 10.04.51 AM.jpeg
Yok Thai in Neutral Bay had shut its doors after 11 years. Credit: @yokthai_neutralbay

The restaurant's sudden departure from the bustling strip has left a void, with locals taking to social media to express their disbelief and sadness.

'I was trying to make a booking and the website said "permanently closed",' one woman wrote.

The news spread like wildfire, prompting a wave of nostalgic comments from those who had cherished memories of dining there.

'I am still trying to recover from the news,' lamented one patron, while another praised it as 'the best' Thai in the city, always leaving them 'super full’.

‘Cost of rent and food supplies is killing all restaurants,' one man said.

'I was surprised to see the site empty when I was there two weeks ago, very sad,' another added.

'It is gone, doors closed. Shop empty. Sign on door,' another customer said.

Despite the restaurant's popularity and rave reviews, the harsh economic climate has proven to be an insurmountable challenge.

The cost of rent and food supplies has been cited as a significant factor in the closure of many Sydney eateries, including Big Poppa's in Darlinghurst, Bistrot 916 in Potts Point, and even the iconic Tetsuya's in Darling Harbour.

For Yok Thai, a rent increase was reportedly the final straw that led to its quiet exit.

The closure of Yok Thai is emblematic of a larger issue facing the hospitality industry. Restaurants, particularly in prime locations, are grappling with soaring rental costs that often outpace their revenue growth.

This financial strain, coupled with the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, has created a precarious situation for many business owners.
Key Takeaways
  • Yok Thai, a popular up-market eatery in Neutral Bay, Sydney, has closed after more than a decade in business.
  • The closure has left locals shocked and disappointed, with many expressing their sentiments on social media.
  • High rent costs and the cost of food supplies have been cited as reasons for the shutdown, reflecting a wider trend of famous Sydney eateries struggling.
  • Although the Neutral Bay branch has closed, Yok Thai's Manly branch remains open for the time being.
Have you been to Yok Thai? Do you have any memorable stories there? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Close them all down. Outrageously overpriced meals that ANYONE can cook at home. Can't cook? LEARN!! Not enough time? BULLSHIT!!

Don't go on about being time poor. That's a copout! In 1999, when my ex wife suffered substantial injuries after a head on collision, it was ME who worked full time, studied at university part time, did ALL domestic chores, including cooking and preparing school lunches, and looked after the needs of three children for almost two years.

Time poor my arse!

Close them all down. Outrageously overpriced meals that ANYONE can cook at home. Can't cook? LEARN!! Not enough time? BULLSHIT!!

Don't go on about being time poor. That's a copout! In 1999, when my ex wife suffered substantial injuries after a head on collision, it was ME who worked full time, studied at university part time, did ALL domestic chores, including cooking and preparing school lunches, and looked after the needs of three children for almost two years.

Time poor my arse!
😮 did you get out of bed on the wrong side today v.p. Bit grumpy there take a chill pill man. ✌️ be with you.🤣