This expat was shocked by a wild encounter in her new Aussie home!

As Australians, we're no strangers to the unique wildlife that calls our sunburnt country home.

From kangaroos hopping across vast plains to koalas nestled in eucalyptus trees, our fauna is as diverse as it is iconic.

However, for those new to our shores, encountering wild inhabitants can be an eye-opening—and sometimes pulse-quickening—experience.

Take the tale of Ellie, a British expat who recently met a slithery local in an unexpected encounter.

She had settled into life in Sydney's eastern suburbs and was enjoying a lazy weekend at home.

With temperatures rising in the area, she opened her windows and doors to let the breeze sweep through her home.

Little did she know, her open-door policy would invite more than just a gust of fresh air.

As she lounged on her couch, a flicker of movement caught her eye, and what she saw left her 'shaking'.

compressed-snek.jpeg
A moment of shock was caught on camera when a slinky guest greeted Ellie one summer day. Image Credit: TikTok/The Chaotic Nomad

'I was just sat here on my sofa minding my own business and a snake just slithered into my living room and hissed at me,' she recounted online.

The shock of seeing a snake inside her home was something she hadn't anticipated, especially in urban Sydney.

'I live in Sydney, not the bush!' she exclaimed, reflecting a common misconception that wildlife encounters are reserved for rural areas.

Fortunately, the expat's reflexes were as quick as her unexpected visitor.

She grabbed her phone and filmed the green snake peeking into her living room.

After a moment of surprise, the snake retreated to the backyard, leaving Ellie to catch her breath and composure.

The footage she captured was more than just a memento of an unforgettable encounter; it is also proof of her story.

'No one would have believed me had I not caught the footage,' she claimed.

While the expat's experience was startling, it's worth noting that not all snake encounters end in fright.

Many Aussies chimed in with advice for the shaken newcomer.

‘You need one of those screen door and window inserts! Might be able to get them from Bunnings,’ one commented.

Others sought to reassure her, pointing out that the snake was likely 'harmless' and that its 'chunky' appearance was no cause for alarm.

Source: @thechaoticnomad/TikTok

Indeed, Australia is home to several snake species, many of which pose no threat to humans.

However, it's advised to be cautious around wild animals and respect their space.

Whether you're a seasoned local or a newcomer, it's important to coexist safely with the creatures that share our environment.
Key Takeaways

• An expat living in Sydney's eastern suburbs was startled when a snake entered her home.
  • She did not anticipate the possibility of a snake entering her home just by having her doors and windows open.
  • She managed to record the incident, capturing the green snake peeking into her house before retreating.
  • Social media users offered advice on preventing snakes from entering homes and assured the expat that her encounter was relatively harmless.
Have you had a close encounter with Australia's wildlife? Perhaps you have tips on handling unexpected visits from our native animals? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
We have lived in our new location for almost two years. Although there is paddocks and bush around us we live in a housing estate. I walk the dog regularly around the estate and apart from an Echidna and the odd kangaroo in the distance I’ve seen nothing. My son came to visit at Easter. He was here literally five minutes before heading off with his Dad to walk the dog. Just down the road, he films a red bellied black snake on the path. He was in his element as he’s kept and bred snakes for years.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 0