This driver's $135 act of petrol protection is going viral: "I need one of those"

As the cost of petrol continues to be a burden for people all over the world, we're doing all that we can to save money on fuel. In fact, this one man from the US has gone to extraordinary lengths just to prevent his fuel from being stolen.

Next to the cap on his gas tank, the man had a Ring doorbell installed, which comes equipped with a camera that is activated whenever there is motion in the area.

The majority of Ring models include features such as live video and two-way chats, in addition to alert notification capabilities. This way, if ever someone attempts to go near this man's petrol tank, the doorbell will alarm him and send an alert.

"With gas prices in California exceeding $7 [USD], ain't no mofo stealing my gas," the man said in his TikTok video.

Ring's website offers no-wire, no-screw video doorbells for a starting price of $135 AUD.

6k8lUlfsnSyT7KltMAc26iELtcRg0vp4LAEZvSxl_xFkTzZ8QUFHYlyTFmSDaaLr48hNdDzpsfSG4nJprf5xajR8A924Z3JDPRANJugaasTYO1y1RUl39y3WfR9d-pqiu61_n9Mc5uTLzzXFOQ

The man installed a Ring doorbell to protect his fuel from being stolen. Credit: TikTok/@outdoorsfishing1.

It goes without saying that (we hope) the man in the video is merely joking around. It's not exactly the most common way to put a ‘smart doorbell’ to use, and it’s quite likely to fall off while he’s driving and cause an accident.

But still, many TikTok users and fellow drivers found the video to be quite hilarious, and they commented that they could relate to the difficulty of dealing with rising petrol prices.

"You know what, I think I'm going to need one of those," one person wrote in the comments, while another agreed and added, "This is hilarious, but the struggle is for real!!"

A third user also pointed out that replacing the camera is less expensive than filling up your tank, saying: "When a ring camera is less expensive than gas…"

m58HI4ie_Gpd1eKjAd88eOHqAJzIyUxZydBSc4MuHG7CPq_QjCvw8oTaxurMaqHjBEM7GR3usVT1mZmukdavSnF0GrsdYrn916K_JV_3M17rrnLJ_HYpVJFJenaxY55pp1fNgUSdqOfHCJQW5Q

Petrol prices are near all-time highs. Source: NSW Fuel Check.

Despite the previous government temporarily reducing the fuel excise tax in March of this year, petrol prices have continued to rise despite dipping temporarily.

As of the writing of this article, the average cost for U91 in NSW was 211.1 cents per litre, with other states and territories seeing similar prices.

Check out the video that we linked down below for some advice on getting better kilometres per litre and simple ways to save fuel while you're driving.

Credit: Engineering Explained.

Sponsored
My Mazda only has a flap, but when you lock the doors it also locks the fuel flap.
I always lock my door at the servo but you can still open the fuel flap. I think that is really silly, means anyone could come and steal you fuel

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Lock your cap to your heart's content, but a serious petrol thief will use a sharpened screwdriver to spike the bottom of your fuel tank every time. Good luck trying to drive to the repairer...

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci