This Coles mark-down tip divides the internet - Are bargain hunters crossing the line?

There's no denying that we all love a good bargain and enjoy finding ways to save a few extra bucks while shopping. After all, we’re not called the Seniors Discount Club for nothing, right?

And while there are several different strategies to help save money while shopping, one method that many people like to use is taking advantage of markdown prices on certain items.

In Australia, shoppers like us can usually spot markdown items quite easily when we go to our local supermarket, allowing us to make the most of those wonderful reduced-price buys.

However, one shopper accidentally divided social media when she revealed her method of getting a bigger markdown on a tray of silverside, prompting many to question whether this tactic is going too far.

The incident took place at a Coles store when the woman arrived at the location at 5:30 pm and noticed the reduced silverside.

When she asked an employee for a further markdown, the shopper was told that she would have to wait 30 minutes.

'I picked up the silverside when I first got in the shop at 5:30 pm,' the woman wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

'I thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could get it discounted further (it was $28 and was still a great deal, even if it wasn't lowered), and was told: "Sorry, I can't until 6 pm."'

36eedcf7123687e3ee48d3a4644f13cc573d172e-161x229-x0y263w957h1361.jpg

The shopper managed to nab this meat product for $7.24 instead of its original price of $36.22. Credit: Facebook/Mark Down Addicts Australia.

True to her word, the woman waited until 6 pm and asked the management for a bigger reduction, and low and behold, it paid off.

She shared: 'So, I painfully waited in the shop for 30 minutes. I went and found the manager at 6 pm and asked if he could reduce it further. I was definitely not expecting this amount but was so happy!'

'He then reduced the silverside and chops. I now have two steaks and three chops – I am thrilled because I’ve been unemployed since our Christmas holiday!'

From the original $36.22 price tag, the silverside was discounted by an impressive 80 per cent, coming out to a total of just $7.24 in the end.

The post gained traction on Facebook, attracting the attention of many bargain hunters who commended her for doing 'a nice job' and congratulated her on her great savings.

One comment read: 'So pleased for you, it helps boost your life and health when this happens.'

'Worth the 30-minute wait,' another user added.

A third chimed in: 'Nice work. Well done. Savings like this make a huge difference.'

Others praised the woman's patience just to score the product at a marked-down rate.

'Totally understand your pain. That’s great, I’m sure you deserve that great markdown. Good on you for waiting! These often come at a time when we need them the most,' one person said.

While many members of the FB group applauded the shopper's decision to be proactive with bargain hunting, not everyone approved of the way she went about getting a good deal.

A Coles worker commented on the customer’s post, saying that hiding or ‘stealing’ the reduced items from the shelves is not appropriate.

‘If this was at my store, we wouldn’t do that. We don’t mark things down when customers or workers 'hide' shopping,’ they said.

‘Someone else could have bought it for the original markdown price, but you had it in your trolley,’ they continued.

‘I’m just letting people know, not having a go, that this shopper "got lucky" and it’s not recommended to hide markdowns for further markdown later.’

As the Coles supermarket customer’s markdown act proves to be a polarising topic, it’s worth raising the ethical implications of the markdown practice in supermarkets.

Markdown discounts provide customers with a chance to buy what they want for a much lower price, at the cost of other customers not being able to purchase the same item who were willing to pay the original markdown price.

This raises a moral dilemma for shoppers; should they take advantage of a lower price and a potential bargain, or continue to shop at the original marked-down price and let other customers take advantage of the opportunity?

Many argued that a markdown act such as this is unethical, as it denies other customers the chance to pay the reduced amount, and involves taking advantage of a store’s discounting policies.

On the other hand, others argued that shoppers should take advantage of such opportunities as it can lead to great savings and provides customers with more options when it comes to shopping and budgeting.

Whichever side of the debate you’re on, it is important to be aware of the ethical implications of markdown practices and fully understand the implications of both buying and not buying the item at the marked-down price. Though it’s always nice to avoid food waste and score a good bargain at the same time!

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket customer’s controversial tactic to score a markdown on a premium buy has divided social media.
  • The shopper waited 30 minutes before asking the store manager for a bigger markdown, which paid off.
  • Some were critical of the customer’s actions, while others applauded her for her savvy coupon tactics.
  • The customer’s find was welcomed by some, who said it would make 'a huge difference'.

So what do you think of this shopper’s bold markdown tip? Would you give this tip a go as well if you were in the same situation as this shopper? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
She didn't steal it or hide it.
Sounds like she would have purchased it anyway . She was just trying to get a little more off and maybe it should have been marked down lower if it was very close to expiry date.

Maybe she told the manager she was just made unemployed and that's why he marked it down so much as we as her other meat.

I think the coles worker who replied to her post was just a grumpy person.

I like that she only took what she needed

There's no denying that we all love a good bargain and enjoy finding ways to save a few extra bucks while shopping. After all, we’re not called the Seniors Discount Club for nothing, right?

And while there are several different strategies to help save money while shopping, one method that many people like to use is taking advantage of markdown prices on certain items.

In Australia, shoppers like us can usually spot markdown items quite easily when we go to our local supermarket, allowing us to make the most of those wonderful reduced-price buys.

However, one shopper accidentally divided social media when she revealed her method of getting a bigger markdown on a tray of silverside, prompting many to question whether this tactic is going too far.

The incident took place at a Coles store when the woman arrived at the location at 5:30 pm and noticed the reduced silverside.

When she asked an employee for a further markdown, the shopper was told that she would have to wait 30 minutes.

'I picked up the silverside when I first got in the shop at 5:30 pm,' the woman wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

'I thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could get it discounted further (it was $28 and was still a great deal, even if it wasn't lowered), and was told: "Sorry, I can't until 6 pm."'

The shopper managed to nab this meat product for $7.24 instead of its original price of $36.22. Credit: Facebook/Mark Down Addicts Australia.

True to her word, the woman waited until 6 pm and asked the management for a bigger reduction, and low and behold, it paid off.

She shared: 'So, I painfully waited in the shop for 30 minutes. I went and found the manager at 6 pm and asked if he could reduce it further. I was definitely not expecting this amount but was so happy!'

'He then reduced the silverside and chops. I now have two steaks and three chops – I am thrilled because I’ve been unemployed since our Christmas holiday!'

From the original $36.22 price tag, the silverside was discounted by an impressive 80 per cent, coming out to a total of just $7.24 in the end.

The post gained traction on Facebook, attracting the attention of many bargain hunters who commended her for doing 'a nice job' and congratulated her on her great savings.

One comment read: 'So pleased for you, it helps boost your life and health when this happens.'

A third chimed in: 'Nice work. Well done. Savings like this make a huge difference.'

Others praised the woman's patience just to score the product at a marked-down rate.

'Totally understand your pain. That’s great, I’m sure you deserve that great markdown. Good on you for waiting! These often come at a time when we need them the most,' one person said.

While many members of the FB group applauded the shopper's decision to be proactive with bargain hunting, not everyone approved of the way she went about getting a good deal.

A Coles worker commented on the customer’s post, saying that hiding or ‘stealing’ the reduced items from the shelves is not appropriate.

‘If this was at my store, we wouldn’t do that. We don’t mark things down when customers or workers 'hide' shopping,’ they said.

‘Someone else could have bought it for the original markdown price, but you had it in your trolley,’ they continued.

‘I’m just letting people know, not having a go, that this shopper "got lucky" and it’s not recommended to hide markdowns for further markdown later.’

As the Coles supermarket customer’s markdown act proves to be a polarising topic, it’s worth raising the ethical implications of the markdown practice in supermarkets.

Markdown discounts provide customers with a chance to buy what they want for a much lower price, at the cost of other customers not being able to purchase the same item who were willing to pay the original markdown price.

This raises a moral dilemma for shoppers; should they take advantage of a lower price and a potential bargain, or continue to shop at the original marked-down price and let other customers take advantage of the opportunity?

Many argued that a markdown act such as this is unethical, as it denies other customers the chance to pay the reduced amount, and involves taking advantage of a store’s discounting policies.

On the other hand, others argued that shoppers should take advantage of such opportunities as it can lead to great savings and provides customers with more options when it comes to shopping and budgeting.

Whichever side of the debate you’re on, it is important to be aware of the ethical implications of markdown practices and fully understand the implications of both buying and not buying the item at the marked-down price. Though it’s always nice to avoid food waste and score a good bargain at the same time!

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer’s controversial tactic to score a markdown on a premium buy has divided social media.
  • The shopper waited 30 minutes before asking the store manager for a bigger markdown, which paid off.
  • Some were critical of the customer’s actions, while others applauded her for her savvy coupon tactics.
  • The customer’s find was welcomed by some, who said it would make 'a huge difference'.

So what do you think of this shopper’s bold markdown tip? Would you give this tip a go as well if you were in the same situation as this shopper? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
So why do you think I am interested in these tedious posts??? I need more important things in my life!

Key Takeaways

Smart shopping I say! After all… the meat had reached its use by date.

Key Takeaways

It’s unethical - sure - but I can’t honestly say I wouldn’t do the same thing if the occasion arose. Trying to exist on the pension when one is paying ever-rising rental is tough and such mark-down opportunities cannot really be ignored … regardless of what a Cokes employee says!

So why do you think I am interested in these tedious posts??? I need more important things in my life!
Oh dear! Perhaps its time for up to find and join another group that includes posts that live up to your obviously high standard.

Key Takeaways

It’s unethical - sure - but I can’t honestly say I wouldn’t do the same thing if the occasion arose. Trying to exist on the pension when one is paying ever-rising rental is tough and such mark-down opportunities cannot really be ignored … regardless of what a Cokes employee says!
Whats unethical about this? She was going to buy it anyway. I was in Coles the other day, when I got to the register the lady said, that she’d been marking some of my purchases down, I must have picked them up before she got there, she then proceeded to mark them all down at the register, I didn’t ask, she just went ahead and did it.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

Good on her I say. And I hope she put the half hour to good use by having a free read of the magazines!

I see it being no different from waiting until sale day. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase affordable meat - having to wait for a reduced then further discounted price is an indication of the high cost of meat. Silverside is not a delicacy. If it had been grain fed fillet steak - then I would probably have a different opinion

Key Takeaways

Smart enough to do that then she deserves the discount, good on her!

Reactions: Granny*Deb

Key Takeaways

I bet this was a rural or coastal Coles store right down the coast and I do not mean Wollongong, Nowra or the Central coast as an example of living near a major city like Sydney, The same with Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide. The markdowns that I've seen if something like $0.10-$2.80 on meats and were the original prices are even $45.00. I've seen markdown $0.50 cents off $45 with a use-by date that day. That was Coles as well and I wrote to Coles and said "Why bother... they should donate to shelters, soup kitchens so it can be cooked that day."

I just learn to shop smart with cheap meats like sausages, whole fresh chickens on sale per kilo $3.50-$5.50 and cut and deskin myself. I get tenderloins for at most $5.50 per kilo. I purchased 6 kilos of the chicken drumsticks this week at Woollies because they were $2.50 per kilo and cooked them all up in batches in different sauces and they have been wrapped up in portions, frozen and ready to eat. I had two days in a row of chicken drumsticks in their sauces with salad on the side.

One of my brothers lives in a rural coastal area and gets amazing meat bargains and he cooks up as well and freezes. The amazing prices that I see in Markdown Addicts and FB groups like that get the $amazing bargains in the rural areas. It's exactly the same with Bunnings markdowns.

[en come at a time when we need them the most,' one person said.

Key Takeaways

Some 35 years ago, my mother and I used to go to Coles in Box Hill to get the bread markdowns on a Saturday morning. Many others did the same. Some days we were disgruntled because the bread we wanted had already been sold out, and there was only the plain white bread left, or similar. One day we arrived and the shelves were still occupied with not marked down bread. No one was happy about this and many took their preferred loaves off the shelves, in case someone else got the best bread, and stood around waiting for the staff to come out and apply the markdown stickers. The assistants refused to mark down the bread that people were holding and would only mark down the bread that was still on the shelves.