This Coles ANZAC Day display touches everyone’s hearts: Great respect’

As the dawn of ANZAC Day approaches, a time when Australians and New Zealanders commemorate the valiant efforts of their armed forces, a Coles supermarket in Townsville, Queensland, has captured the nation's attention with a poignant tribute.

The Annandale Coles store, strategically located opposite the Lavarack Barracks—the largest army base in Australia—has set up a heartfelt ANZAC Day display at its entrance.

The centrepiece is a large statue of a veteran, a silent sentinel amidst a sea of poppies and the solemn 'Lest We Forget' flag.

This touching homage was crafted by a Coles team member as a personal tribute to her father, a war veteran.

72c5c8502d93fdd82dbc38bca068933880f2bf1e-161x229-x36y0w1008h1434.jpg
This Coles’ ANZAC Day display is truly an eye-catcher. Credit: Facebook

The photograph of this display, initially shared by an impressed shopper, has since gone viral, with the post garnering thousands of reactions and shares.

'Coles Annandale Townsville. Huge display right as you walk in, brilliant!' the shopper exclaimed.

‘Take note, Woolworths.’

The playful jab was in reference to Woolworths, which faced unfounded claims that it was not supporting ANZAC Day this year.

While Woolworths has clarified that while it won't be selling the RSL’s limited-edition ANZAC biscuit tins, it will offer exclusive ANZAC Day badges in all stores, with proceeds supporting the charity.

Moreover, Woolworths continues to sell Bakers’ Finest ANZAC Biscuits year-round, which are endorsed by the RSL and contribute to supporting returned servicemen and their families.

The emotional outpouring on social media over Coles' display has been profound.

Comments range from expressions of pride by veterans to commendations for preserving Australian heritage.

'Well done Coles—too much Aussie stuff being constantly eroded,' one user remarked.

Another added, 'That is great. As a veteran, it makes me proud.'

It's not just Coles honouring the ANZAC spirit; similar displays have been spotted at other supermarkets, including Woolworths.

One customer noted, 'My local Woolies has ANZAC biscuits and all the ANZAC badges on a big display just as you walk in the door.'

In a show of support for the Bravery Trust, an organisation that aids war veterans, Coles has announced its ANZAC Day Appeal.

Leading up to the day of remembrance, Coles pledges to donate 40 cents from every 12-pack of Coles Bakery ANZAC Biscuits and cookies sold in-store and online to the charity.

Coles General Manager Bakery Kate Roff highlighted the company's commitment, 'Coles is proud to continue its longstanding community partnership with Bravery Trust and assisting team members who have served or are serving in the Australian Defence Force or Reserves, including our founder GJ Coles who fought in World War 1.'

‘Our bakers rise to the occasion for Bravery Trust every year, making nearly 500,000 ANZAC biscuits in the week leading up to Anzac Day. It’s a cause our bakers love getting behind and we hope our customers can support too by buying a 12-pack Coles Bakery Anzac biscuit on or before ANZAC Day.’
Key Takeaways
  • A photograph of an ANZAC Day display at a Coles supermarket in Townsville has gone viral on social media.
  • The display includes a large statue of a veteran with poppies and a 'Lest We Forget' flag, created by a Coles team member as a tribute to her father.
  • Coles has announced its ANZAC Day appeal, with donations from sales going to the Bravery Trust to support war veterans.
  • The display received positive responses from shoppers and social media users, with some comparing it to other supermarkets' efforts to honour the occasion.
Have you seen any ANZAC Day displays that have moved you? How do you plan to commemorate ANZAC Day this year? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Beats the WOKE and hated directorship of WOOLIES, who banned the National FLAG, and Anzac biscuits and paid THE VOICE Millions.. No longer shop Woolworths at all, and support Coles and Aldi, in spite of any guilt they may have.

I've now read this article so many times. It's nothing to do with Coles. They allowed a staff member to do a display in honour of her dad and that shop is opposite a barracks. How many other stores of theirs have displays?
And as stated, Woolworths sell those Anzac biscuits all year and proceeds go to the RSL.

It just brings out the people who hate Woolies for some stupid reason. 🙄

And in answer to the questions...
Have you seen any ANZAC Day displays that have moved you?
No I haven't. Even though there's been so much hype about it.

How do you plan to commemorate ANZAC Day this year?
I don't. I'll still be in bed at silly o'clock.😴

Reactions: Littleboy8
What a miserable fella. 1) Woolworths would NEVER allow any staff member to make such a display in ANY branch. 2) why not selling Anzac biscuits over this time ? 3) The "HYPE" is to show that we are thankful for all our soldiers who sacrificed , while people who remain unmoved, stay in bed late. 4) Suggest - try be happy about SOMETHING ... and go buy a tin of biscuits.

Well done to the staff member, and Cole’s for allowing the ANZAC display in the store. I hope all these “woke” people are bowing their heads in shame. I suppose not, as I dare say the majority of them wouldn’t even know what ANZAC stands for!!

Reactions: Jo Piper3