This cleaning tip leaves floors spotless, according to a cleaning expert!

Cleaning your floors can be hard work, especially if you have wooden floors that needs to be treated with extra care and caution.

They can easily become damaged and scratched, and it’s even worse when you’re struggling to make all those scratches and speckles disappear, no matter how hard you scrub .

Fortunately, Carolina McCauley, a 'home hacks queen' from Perth, has shared some brilliant advice for keeping your wooden floors sparkling clean for as long as possible.

The video clip, which she posted on TikTok, has now been watched over 32,000 times, with thousands of users thanking her for the genius hack.

So what is the ‘genius cleaning tip’? Let’s get into it!

Carolina started by creating a cleaning solution with hot water, one cup of vinegar, one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, and 20 drops of citrus essential oil in a bucket.

Vinegar is a decent disinfectant, capable of killing several medically significant bacteria like E. coli. Its acidic properties also help to break down grease and dirt.

The essential oil used by McCauley gives the mixture a pleasant scent, but its true purpose lies in its cleaning properties --- citrus essential oils are reported to also be effective disinfectants capable of killing disease-causing microbes.

Screenshot_3.png
Carolina’s floor cleaning hack requires the use of a hot water solution. Image Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley

When used together in a mop solution, vinegar and essential oils are a powerful one-two punch. (Three, if you’re counting the dishwashing liquid!)

Once the mixture was ready, she got to mopping her wooden floors and suggested mopping in the same direction as the wood-grain to avoid obvious streaking. This is because the mop’s fibres can easily bend, allowing dirt to be more easily absorbed.

Mopping in a direction towards the grain can help to remove dirt more effectively as the fibres are able to absorb more dirt and debris.

And then, she said investing in a quality bucket with two separate compartments is also key, as it allows you to thoroughly rinse your mop in the one compartment before dipping it in the other.

This will stop you from dragging dirt and bacteria further down the hallway when mopping, and in turn, help you keep your floors cleaner for longer!

Now, some of you might have grimaced when you first read that Carolina was using vinegar on wooden floors.

Screenshot_5.png
Going against the wood grain results in an inefficient floor-cleaning job. Image Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley

It would be remiss of us not to note that while there are plenty of websites that advise doing the same thing, there are also ones like Consumer Report and Home Made Simple that flat out discourage using vinegar (and baking soda) to clean wooden floors (especially if they’re coated).

‘Diluted vinegar can dissolve the finish that protects the wood and leave it looking cloudy, dull, or scratched,’ Consumer Reports pointed out.

‘These are, in fact, the worst things you can apply to your wood floors,’ Home Made Simple added.

‘They actually damage and dull the polyurethane, which can irreparably ruin them.’

Key Takeaways
  • Carolina McCauley, a home hacks queen, shared her tips for cleaning wooden floors.
  • Carolina’s mixture includes hot water, vinegar, essential oil, and dishwashing liquid.
  • You should mop in the same direction as the wood grain to avoid streaks.
  • Carolina also suggests investing in a good quality bucket with two separate compartments to clean the mop in one side before dipping it in the solution on the other to keep the water clean.
We suggest spot testing first on a tiny section of your floor. This way you can see how any solutions react, first, before mopping larger surfaces.

Cleaning service Maid For You also advises against using hot or cold water (just lukewarm) on hardwood floors as this may lead to eventual warping of the wood.

Who knew there was so much to consider when cleaning wooden floors, eh?

Source: TikTok/@carolina.mccauley

On the topic of flooring, vinyl floors are said to be a great alternative to wooden floors (that won’t break your bank) and can give your home a magazine-worthy look. But did you know Kmart even sells faux wood vinyl floor tiles for only $15?

You may also find one mum’s experience with an anti-scratch hack amazing — especially when you find out what the trick needs!

So, what is your reaction to this wooden floor cleaning tip from Carolina? Have you tried something similar? How did it go?

Or maybe you have your own tried and tested tips you want to share with other members?

Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I would never trust this mixture on my floorboards. I use a floorboard cleaner which has an oil in it .

I used a kitchen cleaner which I read on here consisting of vinegar, water and lemon juice on my Tasmanian oak kitchen cupboards and in parts it has left faded strips, which I noticed a few days after the second time of using it.

I clean all my cupboards weekly with a cleaning spray and tried the vinegar, water and lemon juice and I warn everyone not to use it

I have original floor boards 100 year old which I found when we ripped up the horrible carpet, at first we didn't think we could get them polished as there were thick black paint around every edge which I found out was black jack which they would use around the edges and have a rug in the middle.
But the company we used got the floors looking beautiful.
When we put a second floor we also did floorboards

I definitely will not be using vinegar on my floors

Screenshot_20230206-084032_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230206-084043_Gallery.jpg

Not sure why vinegar has become the holy grail of cleaning.
Never been a fan of the hype.
Years ago, I tried vinegar on the skirting board where my cat made a mark. It actually took off the paint.
With wooden floorboards, I use warm water and a microfibre mop. If my wooden furniture is looking dry, I use a product for wood.

Most things can be cleaned with a terry cotton or micro fibre cloth, (not a rag!, ) and warm soapy water. I've always believed vinegar is a food, not a cleaner.

Reactions: Zoya
Cleaning your floors can be hard work, especially if you have wooden floors that needs to be treated with extra care and caution.

They can easily become damaged and scratched, and it’s even worse when you’re struggling to make all those scratches and speckles disappear, no matter how hard you scrub .

Fortunately, Carolina McCauley, a 'home hacks queen' from Perth, has shared some brilliant advice for keeping your wooden floors sparkling clean for as long as possible.

The video clip, which she posted on TikTok, has now been watched over 32,000 times, with thousands of users thanking her for the genius hack.

So what is the ‘genius cleaning tip’? Let’s get into it!

Carolina started by creating a cleaning solution with hot water, one cup of vinegar, one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, and 20 drops of citrus essential oil in a bucket.

Vinegar is a decent disinfectant, capable of killing several medically significant bacteria like E. coli. Its acidic properties also help to break down grease and dirt.

The essential oil used by McCauley gives the mixture a pleasant scent, but its true purpose lies in its cleaning properties --- citrus essential oils are reported to also be effective disinfectants capable of killing disease-causing microbes.

View attachment 12561
Carolina’s floor cleaning hack requires the use of a hot water solution. Image Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley

When used together in a mop solution, vinegar and essential oils are a powerful one-two punch. (Three, if you’re counting the dishwashing liquid!)

Once the mixture was ready, she got to mopping her wooden floors and suggested mopping in the same direction as the wood-grain to avoid obvious streaking. This is because the mop’s fibres can easily bend, allowing dirt to be more easily absorbed.

Mopping in a direction towards the grain can help to remove dirt more effectively as the fibres are able to absorb more dirt and debris.

And then, she said investing in a quality bucket with two separate compartments is also key, as it allows you to thoroughly rinse your mop in the one compartment before dipping it in the other.

This will stop you from dragging dirt and bacteria further down the hallway when mopping, and in turn, help you keep your floors cleaner for longer!

Now, some of you might have grimaced when you first read that Carolina was using vinegar on wooden floors.

View attachment 12560
Going against the wood grain results in an inefficient floor-cleaning job. Image Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley

It would be remiss of us not to note that while there are plenty of websites that advise doing the same thing, there are also ones like Consumer Report and Home Made Simple that flat out discourage using vinegar (and baking soda) to clean wooden floors (especially if they’re coated).

‘Diluted vinegar can dissolve the finish that protects the wood and leave it looking cloudy, dull, or scratched,’ Consumer Reports pointed out.

‘These are, in fact, the worst things you can apply to your wood floors,’ Home Made Simple added.

‘They actually damage and dull the polyurethane, which can irreparably ruin them.’

Key Takeaways

• Carolina McCauley, a home hacks queen, shared her tips for cleaning wooden floors.
  • Carolina’s mixture includes hot water, vinegar, essential oil, and dishwashing liquid.
  • You should mop in the same direction as the wood grain to avoid streaks.
  • Carolina also suggests investing in a good quality bucket with two separate compartments to clean the mop in one side before dipping it in the solution on the other to keep the water clean.
We suggest spot testing first on a tiny section of your floor. This way you can see how any solutions react, first, before mopping larger surfaces.

Cleaning service Maid For You also advises against using hot or cold water (just lukewarm) on hardwood floors as this may lead to eventual warping of the wood.

Who knew there was so much to consider when cleaning wooden floors, eh?

Source: TikTok/@carolina.mccauley

On the topic of flooring, vinyl floors are said to be a great alternative to wooden floors (that won’t break your bank) and can give your home a magazine-worthy look. But did you know Kmart even sells faux wood vinyl floor tiles for only $15?

You may also find one mum’s experience with an anti-scratch hack amazing — especially when you find out what the trick needs!

So, what is your reaction to this wooden floor cleaning tip from Carolina? Have you tried something similar? How did it go?

Or maybe you have your own tried and tested tips you want to share with other members?

Tell us in the comments below!

I can not justify using vinegar on my floors when manufacturers say not to, but I have floating vinyl boards which I dry mop with a squirt of a mister sheen type spray keeps clean but not slippery. I think the solution suggested is for natural wood which is very forgiving, also very expensive.

I think Vinyl floor boards can take the vinegar mixture well, but definitely would not put it on natural wood. I have been told just spray water on any marks and use a microfibre mop, which I do , and the shine always there. I rent so have to be careful not to wreck owners lovely floors !! I was wondering if Mr Sheen has a floor spray and if so can it be used on natural floor boards? Thanks.

Reactions: Penny4
Not sure why vinegar has become the holy grail of cleaning.
Never been a fan of the hype.
Years ago, I tried vinegar on the skirting board where my cat made a mark. It actually took off the paint.
With wooden floorboards, I use warm water and a microfibre mop. If my wooden furniture is looking dry, I use a product for wood.
Hi,
What have you found to be the best wooden product for your wood furniture? Also can you use a product on natural wood flooring for extra shine, or as I do like you just use spray warm water and micro fibre mop on it. ?? Thanks.

Reactions: Kgee
Hi,
What have you found to be the best wooden product for your wood furniture? Also can you use a product on natural wood flooring for extra shine, or as I do like you just use spray warm water and micro fibre mop on it. ?? Thanks.
The spray I use on wooden furniture. The bottle of wooden floor surface if needed. There's probably better wooden products, but I like non toxic. Not sure about unsurfaced wooden floors though.
I love my Sabco swish spray mop.

Attachments

• IMG20230208101638 .jpg
    IMG20230208101638 .jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Kgee
The spray I use on wooden furniture. The bottle of wooden floor surface if needed. There's probably better wooden products, but I like non toxic. Not sure about unsurfaced wooden floors though.
I love my Sabco swish spray mop.
Thanks for that. I will get a bottle as I need to do my furniture too. Yes, I shall have to invest in a swish spray mop. So Sabco a good one?

Thanks for that. I will get a bottle as I need to do my furniture too. Yes, I shall have to invest in a swish spray mop. So Sabco a good one?
I also meant to say the surface on wooden floors are polished beautifully when we moved in, so want to keep that way, so your advice was much appreciated,

My daughter has jarrah floors, which look beautiful but i dont know what she uses. Dont think she would be using vinegar. I wouldnt use anything acidic on wood.

I personally like it as it's light & not heavy which some are. Coles sell it plus the reusable microfibre refill if you need a spare one. It can go on timber, concrete & tiles. You place the water in the green mop head & spray it with the trigger.

Attachments

• Sabco.jpg
    Sabco.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0